• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Xif's Fixes (ASM Hacks & Spreadsheets)

Started by Xifanie, September 12, 2008, 10:50:17 pm

Skip Sandwich

December 05, 2008, 07:27:27 am #120 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
The way fury works is that it causes brave to modify physical damage taken and dealt in the same way that faith affects magic damage, that is all. All other aspects of brave, remain unchanged, what i'm curious about is how fury works with damage formulas that already use brave as part of the equation, is brave computed twice? once for the base damage and once as a comparison between the user and the target to determine final damage before compatibilitiy?
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Gamesoul Master

December 05, 2008, 08:20:50 am #121 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Gamesoul Master
So... Fury replaces Brave. Alright, that works... thanks :)

For it to be acting in the same manner as Faith, Brave was still a much better name for it than Fury. I can understand wanting to change the name to distinguish it, but Fury sounds so much more extreme than Faith. Brave still may not be the best name for it, but at least it's sounds to be about the same level of... dedication, as Faith.

Skip Sandwich

December 05, 2008, 08:29:07 am #122 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
I agree, I makes sense for a coward (low brave) to take less physical damge as they shy away from attacks, at the same time that thier avoidance hinders thier own efforts to land a solid blow, and vice versa.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."

LastingDawn

December 05, 2008, 08:29:09 am #123 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well Fury is a nice synonym, simply because, the higher it is, the more you are hurt, it shows the lack of discipline as your Fury climbs, you begin to care nothing for defense only trying to kill the opponent in front of you.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Skip Sandwich

December 05, 2008, 08:38:25 am #124 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
They both work, but I think Brave works better, seeing as the stat is mostly static, and something inherent to the character rather then class or level, much like zodiac alignment. Braver characters take more risks, while Cowards remain cautious, those of neutral bravery are balanced between the two extremes.

If it could be made so that fury was a seperate, dynamic stat that flucuated during battle (like, having an ally die or go into critical gives a bonus to your fury based on your zodiac compatibility with that character, and you also gain fury when you go into critical, but lose fury when you die, and when an enemy dies, again based on zodiac compatibility) then fury would work better, but as it is, I prefer keeping it as Brave.
:EDIT: oh, and if a dynamic fury system were to be introduced, then the berserk status should be changed to act like the Faith status, only for fury, it would also wear off after time like the Faith status does. In fact, just with a static Brave modifies all physical damage system, then having Berserk become the Faith for physical and Defending or something becoming the Innocent for physical would be pretty cool.
"Dave?  Are you there?"

VincentCraven

December 05, 2008, 08:48:38 am #125 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Quote from: "Gamesoul Master"I'm also a tad confused about this Fury thing. Some posts seem to basically state that the way the game uses Brave has been completely changed, and the name of it was changed from Brave to Fury. But statements like "it was added to make low brave useful" make it sound like Fury is something added in *addition* to brave.

Sorry for my poor choice of words when explaining it.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Gamesoul Master

December 05, 2008, 09:00:17 am #126 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Gamesoul Master
Exactly. And while I do see how Fury could work well, Fury is *not* a static type of status.

A couple thoughts on what sound better (I do realize it's not open for suggestions specifically, but it's worth a try... lol).
-- Valor: Has a more static sound to it, though it too doesn't *quite* take into account more damage being taken
-- Guts: I really think this is a good one, and is only hampered by the special Squires (foolishly IMO) having a skillset of the same name. I would definitely consider changing the skillset name (since it doesn't even fit) to make this one work.
-- Might: Has a good feeling to it (and very physical-sounding), and a person with great might seems very likely to take more damage as they are swinging harder and are not quite as capable of defending themselves as a result.
-- Force: Sounds more physical than magical (but still could be both... :/), and has a good overall sound, though it doesn't sound as reckless as it should for what it'd be used for (lower defense).

That's all the decent ones I can think of at the moment. Sorry if it seems too forward, but I just wanted to put my thoughts out there.

Edit: Don't worry about it VC... As I kept reading the posts, I partially felt like I was just being dumb and not quite getting it... you didn't really explain it too poorly... just that people were giving somewhat conflicting statements on its use/purpose.

Skip Sandwich

December 05, 2008, 09:02:49 am #127 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
Out of those, Guts is the only one I really agree with as a possible alternative, because I <3 Earthbound. But really, Brave I think is still the best choice overall.
"Dave?  Are you there?"

Gamesoul Master

December 05, 2008, 09:04:16 am #128 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Gamesoul Master
Well for the record, I was giving them as better alternatives to Fury, not Brave. I like Brave and Guts the most, but I wanted to offer a few that seemed better than Fury in case Guts was not well-liked by others.

Xifanie

December 05, 2008, 04:49:51 pm #129 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
because the name Brave doesn't make sense at all for the new damage calculations.

In any way you view it, Bravery is only a good trait. On the other hand Fury has its good and bad points, it's situational; just like Faith.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Skip Sandwich

December 05, 2008, 05:28:40 pm #130 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
bravery is a good trait, yes, but is not having a low brave score or 'lacking bravery' just another way of saying that the character is cowardly?
"Dave?  Are you there?"

Xifanie

December 05, 2008, 05:55:48 pm #131 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
So what?

Cowardice is the result of an emotion of fear, you won't be more able to prevent taking full hits.
And being brave doesn't mean you want to take full hits either.

Fury = Offensive & not defensive
Brave isn't that at all.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Vanya

December 05, 2008, 06:25:48 pm #132 Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:27:26 pm by Vanya
Ever heard the phrase "Only the brave die young" ?

Brave pple have a tendency to rush into things as much as berserk ppl. It's just for different reasons.

Like wise a cowardly person tends to think about defense more for self preservation as much as a calm warrior does in order to defeat his opponent.

It doesn't really matter what you call it as long as you can rationalize it. I'd keep brave because it's already an established trait in the Ivalice setting.

^_^

PS-
Zodiac, is my idea for Defend reducing damage instead of increasing evade possible?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Xifanie

December 05, 2008, 08:00:47 pm #133 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
People, stop asking if things are possible or not; it's obvious.

If hit % is calculated at the same time as damage, this should be pretty easy to do.

And if maybe if the Brave dies younger, perhaps it's because they have to protect the coward?

The coward relies on evasion, one hit will put them down for good. The Brave will stand still and continue to fight.

Skip Sandwich

December 05, 2008, 09:03:32 pm #134 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
yes, that's one way of looking at it, but hp is a very abstract system anyway, how else do you explain cutscenes of characters dying to wounds that would be very minor if they happened in-battle? Hp is not simply physical resilliannce, but the abstracted ability of the character to avoid fatal damage, only attacks that result in the character going into cricial or dead status actually cause harm.

a character of lower brave will be more cautious, he won't extend himself as much, and will take fewer risks, he won't be making any fast takedowns, but his extra effort toward self-preservation means that others will have a harder time breaking through his guard.

a character of higer brave is more confident, he attacks more readily, and with greater vigor, but, the same risk-taking qualities that make him a more dangerous warrior, mean that at any given moment, he's closer to reciving that one fatal blow then the character of lower brave.
"Dave?  Are you there?"

Vanya

December 05, 2008, 09:54:33 pm #135 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "Zodiac"People, stop asking if things are possible or not; it's obvious.

:oops: Sorry! I should have said difficult.

In that case, I'd like to formally request that ASM hack. It makes more sense for the ability to reduce damage like in every other FF & FF spin-off.

Do you think Defending with 'Defense Up' equipped would reduce damage too much if the effects stack?

If so, would it be useful to have the effect reduced so it cuts damage by say 30% instead of 50%?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Skip Sandwich

December 06, 2008, 07:52:11 pm #136 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
All this talk of fury and brave has got me thinking, a skill formla that acted like the faith-based magic formula, only based on target and caster brave, and dealing damage based off of PA would make for awesome physical skill options.
"Dave?  Are you there?"

Vanya

December 07, 2008, 02:58:35 am #137 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I agree! ^_^
How dry I am!!!!
¯\(°_0)/¯

Archael

December 08, 2008, 01:39:13 pm #138 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Gamesoul Master"
Quote from: "Voldemort7"I have a request to see if someone could look at the Transparent status and see if they can remove it's permanent in-battle duration

I'm assuming you mean like if a character has it and does absolutely nothing (since it fades so damn easily), right? I would like to see that, if only for it to not be broken like that. And also, an AI recognition option wouldn't be bad to see (if it's even possible).

yes

I meant make it run out on it's own, like Haste or Protect or Shell run out on their own

Transparent lasts the entire fight assuming you never act

The Damned

December 08, 2008, 01:57:00 pm #139 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "Voldemort7"yes

I meant make it run out on it's own, like Haste or Protect or Shell run out on their own

Transparent lasts the entire fight assuming you never act

Yeah. It doesn't seem like you can. Well testing Hunter out on...Thursday? Yes, Thursday. Well testing Hunter out on Thursday, I modified something to make it add Transparent, which subsequently never wore off despite the fact that I gave it at CT of 24 a while ago.

I'm beginning to hate Transparent.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"