• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:01:44 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

"Soft" Patch

Started by Larkas, February 15, 2012, 09:23:59 am

Larkas

Hello there, guys! After some time away from FFT, I recently started playing it again. And one of the games I played while I was away is Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. In case you don't know, it is a somewhat popular game that, unfortunately, didn't see the light of a western release. That didn't stop third party translators from messing with it, though, and the latest patches really made a difference.

I'm telling you that because those guys use a very interesting technology to apply the patch to the game: instructions. Basically, you leave the ISO untouched and tell the PSP to use a plugin that will load certain instructions from a separate file, patching the information coming from the ISO (and if that's the case, AFAIK, from the UMD too) on the go. Of course, we are talking simple text substitution here, but if something like that could be applied to FFT:TWotL, think of the possibilities! You could have several mods installed at once using a fraction of the patched ISOs space, not to mention how easy and fast it would be to test new patches! And, if I'm correct, you could also "patch" an UMD!

Now, I know (ehm, at least, IIRC) most of you guys prefer to mod the PSX version of the game. Also, I'm aware that I can't code anything (well, maybe I could code some "Hello world!" message in .net, but I wouldn't count even on that =D), so I can't really help developing the idea. But I thought maybe you guys would like the idea, and be intrigued enough to give it a try, so I decided to share it with you! Hope it can be of use :)

Ehm, of course, this isn't simply a "look what I thought!" topic; discuss to your heart's content, and tell me what you think about its feasibility :)

PS: Not sure this would be the right forum section to post this topic, but lets hope it sees some love :)

endrift

This will be useful if I am able to prepare a patch for WotL. I was planning on writing something like this is I couldn't find a tool like this, so this will hopefully be able to be adapted for what I'm trying to do.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Larkas

Nice! Hope you can come up with something, Archaemic! If you need help testing something, let me know and I'll see what I can do!

Eternal

Interesting, I'll have to see just how viable this is compared to our current patching methods using PPF files.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Larkas

Nice, glad you liked the idea! :)