• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:36:26 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

What can I do and what will I need for start modding FFT?

Started by Doxus, December 05, 2016, 04:48:51 pm

Doxus

I read a lot of topics & stuff and now I'm starting to think if it's viable to start modding FFT.
So, at first, I have a lot of questions.
I'll divide them by sections:

Modding FFT
In general, to be precisely, what can I do modding FFT?Answered
Can I insert new items, abilities, character slots (insert more room for new units in my party), monsters, maps and music?Answered
Can I translate all the content of a ROM to any language?Answered
Can I play mod in PS1 console? Is mods just designed for working on PC?Answered
Can I insert options for game languages?Answered
What's my limits modding? If I'm going to CD by playing my mod version on PS1 is my limit the CD's limit (700mb)?Answered
Can I add new chapters to the game?Answered
When starting in a ROM for modding, is it better using a USA, EUR or JPN one?Answered

Modding Tools
Considering I'll be doing all the work alone, what will I need for spritting and coding?Answered
What tools for modding can do for me? Can I have any shortcuts modding through tools?Answered
About saves and these things... Would I need to restart the game everytime I release a patch?Answered

Knowledge
I lack about any knowledge of this area, it's my first time modding and I don't know even how to start and what I can start doing.Answered
Could anyone give me a path? Or maybe, advise me one?Answered
I have a lot of things I wanna insert in the game and make it be as I dreamed. So, what will I have to know before start modding?Answered
Which type of knowledge will I need for modding? What kinds of resources will I need to master?Answered
In the past, I was a mod of a forum, can BBcode help me with something modding?Answered

PSX/PSP
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems PSX version have more support for modding. Am I right? Why?Answered
Can I insert PSP features in PSX version? Most, I would want to add a co-op way of playing and a system of battles for PvP. Can I do it using PSX?Answered
I saw things on forums about a kind of shop, what kinds of shops can I add to game?Answered

Treasure/Propositions
Can I add classes/items/units to it as rewards?Answered
Can I add cutscenes to it? After having succeed or don't?Answered
Can I add CG scenes to PSX version?Answered
Can I add more functions to this system?Answered
Can I make Propositions repeatable?Answered

Classes
Can I add more classes? Or can I just edit the existing ones?Answered
Can I add more races? (i.e., human, viera, nu mou, etc.)Answered
What can I add as pre-requisite for classes?Answered
What's my limits adding classes?Answered
Can I give classes more inate abilities? Or there's a set number?Answered

Items
Can I add more items? Or can I just edit the existing ones?Answered
Can I add more item slots? (i.e., a second acessory, a shoulder slot)Answered

Monsters
Can I add more monsters? Or can I just edit the existing ones?Answered
Can I make all monsters playable? I'm aiming the demons cuz we already can't use them by just playing the game normally.Answered

Map
Is there a map editor that can save me time for mapping?Answered
Is there any templates for mapping?Answered

Space
About space needed for modding, how much of my hard disk would I need for it? I have a ambitious project in mind but I think I must cut some lines...Answered

Templates
Is there any templates for start modding?Answered
Is there any templates for start codding?Answered

Backup
What can I do to prevent losing my project due to corrupted files?Answered
When modding, what can corrupt my files?Answered
When modding, what parts of my PC can get affected/damaged?Answered
Is there any risk to my hardware/software by modding?Answered

Team
How can I get inside a project and be a member of a team developping a mod?Answered
About teams, is there any staff team from the forums or everyone can start a team and start recruiting for it.Answered

Testing
Is there a group of testers from the forums?Answered

I'm a lover of the game and I'm wanting to make things how I want they should be. I know it's too ambitious, but it's how I think right now. My mind can change, time changes all the things.
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

I'm only answering all this to the best of MY knowledge. Could be wrong on some parts.

Modding FFT
In general, to be precisely, what can I do modding FFT?
Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Can I insert new items, abilities, character slots (insert more room for new units in my party), monsters, maps and music?
Generally no. You can edit existing ones, and there are some unused slots for many things.
Can I translate all the content of a ROM to any language?
In theory. If you're willing to dedicate a lot of time.
Can I play mod in PS1 console? Is mods just designed for working on PC?
Depends on the mod.
Can I insert options for game languages?
If you were willing to spend 10 years doing it maybe.
What's my limits modding? If I'm going to CD by playing my mod version on PS1 is my limit the CD's limit (700mb)?
Not sure.
Can I add new chapters to the game?
Yeah, if you spent time compressing the game's existing events and progression down to make room for it.
When starting in a ROM for modding, is it better using a USA, EUR or JPN one?
Probably USA.

Modding Tools
Considering I'll be doing all the work alone, what will I need for spritting and coding?
We have a subforum for that. Hacking/Patching Tools.
What tools for modding can do for me? Can I have any shortcuts modding through tools?
Depends on the tools. "Shortcuts"?
About saves and these things... Would I need to restart the game everytime I release a patch?
Depends on what you did.

Knowledge
I lack about any knowledge of this area, it's my first time modding and I don't know even how to start and what I can start doing. Could anyone give me a path? Or maybe, advise me one?
Start by tinkering with FFTPatcher & TacText, then with event editing. Use the PSX version.
I have a lot of things I wanna insert in the game and make it be as I dreamed. So, what will I have to know before start modding? Which type of knowledge will I need for modding? What kinds of resources will I need to master?
We have a subforum for this too. Tutorials.
In the past, I was a mod of a forum, can BBcode help me with something modding?
Uh. No. But fluency in that sort of thing might make some stuff marginally easier.

PSX/PSP
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems PSX version have more support for modding. Am I right? Why?
The gist of it is, the PSP version is a functionally emulated mod of the PSX version with most additions being crudely nailed into the PSX version. It's like slapping two new floors on the top of a house without properly reframing the existing ones. It might work, but if you try to go back and tinker around with the lower floors after that you're probably going to bring the whole thing down on your head.
Can I insert PSP features in PSX version? Most, I would want to add a co-op way of playing and a system of battles for PvP.
In theory, yes. But you'd probably have a more realistic chance of winning the Olympics and/or the lottery.
Can I do it using PSX?
??? Why would you need to insert PSP version features into... the PSP version?
I saw things on forums about a kind of shop, what kinds of shops can I add to game?
A synth shop, thanks to Xifanie's relentless work on it. On your own with no knowledge? That's it.

Treasure/Propositions
Can I add classes/items/units to it as rewards?
No.
Can I add cutscenes to it? After having succeed or don't?
No.
Can I add CG scenes to PSX version?
I doubt it.
Can I add more functions to this system?
Through ASM.
Can I make Propositions repeatable?
Maybe?

Classes
Can I add more classes? Or can I just edit the existing ones?
Generic classes, you have to edit existing ones. There's room to make up some more special unit classes.
Can I add more races? (i.e., human, viera, nu mou, etc.)
Not the way functional human generics work. You could make them special units.
What can I add as pre-requisite for classes?
Any other generic classes you like.
What's my limits adding classes?
Open FFTPatcher and find out.
Can I give classes more inate abilities? Or there's a set number?
Up to 4. Don't give them innate reactions.

Items
Can I add more items? Or can I just edit the existing ones?
Edit.
Can I add more item slots? (i.e., a second acessory, a shoulder slot)
No.

Monsters
Can I add more monsters? Or can I just edit the existing ones?
Edit.
Can I make all monsters playable? I'm aiming the demons cuz we already can't use them by just playing the game normally.
Absolutely. However, some units may not have a Formation sprite, which can cause a graphical error. Does not affect gameplay.

Map
Is there a map editor that can save me time for mapping?
Yes. Ganesha IIRC
Is there any templates for mapping?
Maybe? Never done it.

Space
About space needed for modding, how much of my hard disk would I need for it? I have a ambitious project in mind but I think I must cut some lines...
The biggest thing is probably going to be the size of your ISO file and how many ISOs you have.

Templates
Is there any templates for start modding?
Check Tutorials.
Is there any templates for start codding?
Check Tutorials.

Backup
What can I do to prevent losing my project due to corrupted files?
... Make backups?
When modding, what can corrupt my files?
When modding, what parts of my PC can get affected/damaged?
Is there any risk to my hardware/software by modding?
Nothing. What the hell kind of programs have you been using?

Team
How can I get inside a project and be a member of a team developing a mod?
There isn't a walkthrough to this sort of thing. If you impress someone with your dedication you might be asked to help, but that's about it.
About teams, is there any staff team from the forums or everyone can start a team and start recruiting for it.
Not really.

Testing
Is there a group of testers from the forums?
Sometimes we ask if people want to test things. Not all that often though.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Doxus

What does mean ASM hacking? You mean using FFTOrgASM? Or is it only a tool in a multiple universe of tools?

Angel

ASM hacking is rewriting the game's compiled instructions, the machine code. ASM hacks are preferred to be applied by FFTOrgASM, but not required to do so.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Doxus

What does mean the term "ASM"?
Do hexadecimal language have omething to do with ASM?
Will I need to use hexadecimal editor for working with ASM?

Emmy

ASM is assembly language.  If you want to learn about it in a more general sense: http://programmedlessons.org/AssemblyTutorial/index.html#part1

If you are serious about learning how it applies to FFT, the wiki is a good resource.  In order to make changes that Patcher/Tactext can't make, you need to learn ASM to be able to edit other things.  Hexadecimal from the game can be translated into more readable ASM code.  Use MassHexAsm for that: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7130.0 

I'm not sure if you mean a general hexadecimal editor like HexEdit.  Those can be helpful at times but aren't needed to be used 100% of the time.

Doxus

What do you mean with "hexadecimal can be translated into more readable ASM"?
Isn't hexadecimal the same as ASM?
I read the link you gave me, but I haven't too much time to spend on reading it all. It seems it's like an universal language for "computers"  which hexadecimal is a part of it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Emmy

Let me use an example with a short hack I wrote. 

hex:

19800A3C
942D498D
902D488D
F9384791
FA384691
000001A1
000022A4
250006A1
0800E003

ASM:

lui r10,0x8019
lw r9,0x2d94(r10)
lw r8,0x2d90(r10)
lbu r7,0x38f9(r10)
lbu r6,0x38fa(r10)
lhu r2,0x0028(r9)
ori r1,r0,0x0001
srl r2,r2,0x04
addu r2,r2,r1
sb r1,0x0000(r8)
addu r1,r8,r7
sh r2,0x0000(r1)
sb r6,0x0025(r8)
jr r31
nop

Unless you are a computer, it is easier to read the ASM than it is to read the hex.  Computer can only read the hex, not ASM.  ASM uses commands such as these, which can be translated into hex: http://xifanie.ffhacktics.com/zodiac/PSX-INST.txt 

Doxus

Got it.
Anyway, I still think it's too early for starting ASM programming.
First I must find out what can I do just by using FFTactext and FFTPatcher.
It seems to be a language which give instructions to "machines" for what to do.
Thanks for the info.

BizzMar

This should be in the link index. This the kind of questions people that comes looking for something to play and start dreaming about modding when visit the forums begin asking themselves :)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Always yours,
BizzMar.