• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:00:40 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Weapon/Item Editting

Started by VincentCraven, March 20, 2008, 07:15:01 am

VincentCraven

March 20, 2008, 07:15:01 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Discuss why each item is worth using. We need no useless items. Might we discard some of the earlier items to make room for new ones? All that discussed here.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

karsten

March 20, 2008, 07:04:47 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
crossbows right now are quite useless...

in real life the xbows are far more powerful and with more range then bows. they shot in straight line (mainly) like in the game, but are really slow to recharge.

now, what should we do with them? making them stronger, but adding to the user slow? can we make a crossbow that gives -1 (minus one ) to speed? shall we give xbows the same straight line range of guns? that wouldn't make them broken because they might still be dodged...

also crossbows are easy to use; shall we open the option to equip them to different phisical classes? (comes to mind squire, knight, geomancer, archer)

Let's discuss the matter.

VincentCraven

March 20, 2008, 07:38:24 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Crossbow could do with a large power boost, but making FFT like real life is somewhat complicated. Are crossbows based on physical strength in real life? Nope. They are basically a heavy version of guns.

So ideally:
Knife - PA:Sp based, weak w/ negative status effects, adds speed to user
Nj swd - PA:Sp based, medium power
Sword - PA based, medium w/ several having elemental attributes
Lance - PA based, medium w/ 2 range but requires 2H
Kn swd - PA:Br based, strong but requires 2H, adds positive statii to user
Katana - PA:Br based, medium (w/ chance to cast respective DRAW OUT skill? not for healing ones though)
*Axe - PA:Br based, strong but unstable dmg ([PA*Br/100]*[WP-F], F= 1...5)
*Hammer - PA based, medium but unstable dmg and casts skills (like power break)
Rod - PA based, weak w/ strengthen:element, can cast magic on hit
Staff - MA based, weak w/ strengthen:holy (White Magic is now holy elemental)
Stick - MA based, medium w/ 2 range but requires 2H
Bag - PA based, medium w/ unstable damage, grants stat boosts
Cloth - PA:MA based, medium w/ 2 range but requires 2H

RANGE WPNS
Gun - WP based only, very long-range <woot magic gun for faith based wpn!>
LngBow - PA:Sp based, medium w/ long-range but requires 2H
*Xbow - WP based only, long-range and strong, but weighs you down
Harp - PA:MA based, weak w/ negative status, adds positive statii to user
Dctnry - PA:MA based, weak w/ good spells (randomly) on hit

*cannot be done at this time  :(

I suppose we could just make axes and flails have the same formula as swords or something. Dunno about Xbow >_>

Austin

March 20, 2008, 08:29:03 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
I'd say katanas are fine as they are, they don't really need the DO spell cast on hit. Maybe they should just be PA based though and not off of PA and brave since they have lower WP than knight swords + no positive status effects. For crossbow just add some WP and a negative status effect, no need to make it so complicated.

Everything else looks cool, but I'd still like to see bags replaced with other weapons that there are few of.
  • Modding version: PSX

NeedsMoreNoise

March 20, 2008, 10:01:39 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Quote from: "karsten"crossbows right now are quite useless...

in real life the xbows are far more powerful and with more range then bows. they shot in straight line (mainly) like in the game, but are really slow to recharge.

now, what should we do with them? making them stronger, but adding to the user slow? can we make a crossbow that gives -1 (minus one ) to speed? shall we give xbows the same straight line range of guns? that wouldn't make them broken because they might still be dodged...

also crossbows are easy to use; shall we open the option to equip them to different phisical classes? (comes to mind squire, knight, geomancer, archer)

Let's discuss the matter.
Good ideas. To add to that, if we're going for a more realistic approach, why don't you make the crossbows 2-handed? The only one-handed crossbows in real life, were those ones used by ninjas.

Asmo X

March 20, 2008, 10:03:55 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Katanas are tricky. I'm suspicious of random DOs but I'm not sure what could be done with them.

It's always good to ask "why this weapon instead of..." and for Katanas I simply don't know. Maybe if they didn't trigger reaction abilities. That would kind of rock. Or if they dispelled. Which is the wind Katana? Asura? Maybe give that mv+1. Lots of options.

Rods: I like your suggestion. Plus you could have combinations like "+1 magic, randomly cast: element" or "Strengthen: fire, ice, thunder". Can you add elemental absorption to a weapon? You could have "Absorb: fire, 25% chance to cast: Spark".

Knight Swords: Maybe move some swords to this category? One Knight Sword to represent every positive status effect perhaps. Initial: Transparent. heh. Plus this category has your top Weapon Guard weapon, but I think it should be below all the cloths.

Bag: Only weapons that can grant 3 points of bonuses to stats? "+2 MA, +1 SP" or "+3 PA" etc? Might be extreme

Daggers: Agreeing with +1 spd and negative status effects for the time being. Basic dagger could be just +1 SP and blindness or something. I'd like to see a few interesting/borderline weapons here like "25% to add Sleep+transparent".

Crossbows: I mentioned this in another thread, but how about all of them have the 50% chance of knockback? Zodiac said that some testing still has to be done on that.

Axe: For some reason I thought this was going to be the stat-breaking weapon. Makes sense since you have 3 axes and 3 stats to break.

Sticks: Isn't this basically a lance? I mean you use a different stat but it's still damage in the end. I think Zodiac had a good idea for a purifying "wand" that might fit into this category. In fact he should come in here and post his weapon ideas. If you're ok with the idea of Brave/Faith altering in-battle, then maybe that's what these weapons could be good for.

Austin

March 20, 2008, 10:10:34 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Katanas have 40% w.ev, so if all the swords excluding the defender are reduced to less than 15-20%, that would be a good reason to choose a katana over a sword. Also defender should be reduced to 40% w.ev so its not too good.

VincentCraven

March 20, 2008, 10:32:16 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
I suppose the simple fact that katana are the Samurai's weapon of choice is good enough to leave them be. Samurai does have innate Two Hands. Weapon evasion could be enough.

Speaking of W.Ev, should Rods have 20% and Staves have 15%?

How about crossbows act like guns except require 2 hands and grants 50% knockback?

I'm okay with Faith/Innocent status, but not altering Brave/Faith. Not until we get a new brave cap. Faith bottom limit would be nice too.

Austin

March 20, 2008, 10:41:15 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Sounds good to me.

NeedsMoreNoise

March 20, 2008, 11:05:40 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Get rid of the Cloths@@@

Asmo X

March 20, 2008, 11:18:19 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Quote from: "VincentCraven"I suppose the simple fact that katana are the Samurai's weapon of choice is good enough to leave them be. Samurai does have innate Two Hands. Weapon evasion could be enough.

Speaking of W.Ev, should Rods have 20% and Staves have 15%?

How about crossbows act like guns except require 2 hands and grants 50% knockback?

I'm okay with Faith/Innocent status, but not altering Brave/Faith. Not until we get a new brave cap. Faith bottom limit would be nice too.

I guess weapon evasion would be ok but it'd have to be a clear winner. Like, 40, to the next best which is 30. You still want the skill "equip katana" to be worth it. Plus we'd need to find a good way to distinguish Cloths. By the way, is it even possible to have a sword or something that doesn't trigger reactions?

The rest of the suggestions look good. What range for the crossbow?

Austin

March 20, 2008, 11:25:24 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
He said like a gun, so that's 8 if I remember correctly. Anyways, you won't hear me complaining about crossbows anymore. :)

Asmo X

March 20, 2008, 11:41:14 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
8 is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much. Man, I was thinking like, 4 or 5.

Also, lets not get rid of cloths. It'd be better to see how much variety we can squeeze out of weapons before we decide to get rid of them.

NeedsMoreNoise

March 21, 2008, 02:57:47 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Quote from: "Asmo X"8 is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much. Man, I was thinking like, 4 or 5.

Also, lets not get rid of cloths. It'd be better to see how much variety we can squeeze out of weapons before we decide to get rid of them.
They only have one application (two, if the new Squires can use them), and their spaces would be better filled with other weapons.

karsten

March 21, 2008, 04:12:33 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
for sticks, let's make so:

they get a tad weaker, but all sticks will protect from 2 statuses.
like the first one might protect from dark and poison
another one from stone and silence etc etc

concerning crossbows, a range of 6 would be fine, as would be making them 2 handed... maybe we could make so that their darts might give status aliment effects?

i like the idea of rod enhancing magic damages. that would give a better variety.

and in all vincent, i consider your view on the various weapons as the one to folllow as a general guideline.

Oh, and about samurai's katanas, i think we should vary kiyomori and muramasa and murasame... i don't think that adding positive statuses/healing is a katana's task...

trickstardude7

March 21, 2008, 06:59:57 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trickstardude7
yes they should add stats like one with poison , one with charm, etc.

NeedsMoreNoise

March 21, 2008, 08:09:10 am #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Quote from: "karsten"Oh, and about samurai's katanas, i think we should vary kiyomori and muramasa and murasame... i don't think that adding positive statuses/healing is a katana's task...
I think you meant Masamune instead of Muramasa. And according to the legend of the Masamune sword, it makes lots of sense for it to give a positive status effect.

VincentCraven

March 21, 2008, 08:21:32 am #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
We could certainly make all but the legendary Masamune offensive. DO is already powerful, no need to make it diverse. Elmdor will be very powerful, so you may never get Masamune anyway.

Range of 6 okay for crossbow? We'll still have Night Killer and Poison Bow although I'm not so certain that we need to add more status effects if we can make the weapon have a chance to knockback.

Sticks preventing status is a nice thought.

Xifanie

March 21, 2008, 08:49:27 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Remember though, the formula is the one for dash, and that means damage=PA; not higher. I'm not even sure yet if that formula causes knockback or if it works with Dash/Throw Stone only.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

VincentCraven

March 21, 2008, 09:40:03 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
=(