• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:39:43 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFT Arena Season 5 Registration

Started by Barren, August 13, 2016, 08:18:09 am

Kashkabald

Since there's gonna be quite a lot of matches, I'm willing to volunteer to stream some of these if there is a need.

Barren

That would be nice.

Also is everyone okay with a discord discussion for tomorrow night so we can see who will cover what bracket?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

gatebuster202

• Modding version: PSX
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Barren

CT5Holy

Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

gatebuster202

Barren

I can PM you guys the details if neither host/back up host can make it

gatebuster202

My daughter doesnt have daycare tomorrow, so I might make 7 EST
If we can do this quickly I can get matches in on Friday

Barren

Once we see the brackets determined we can figure out who should assume responsibility of the bracket A, B, C and D since we want to divide it up

Kashkabald

Dividing a Swiss system tournament kind of defeats the whole idea of easily sorting out the best teams without going through a full round-robin.

I understand the logistical concern but you're still going to have to wait for every bracket to finish a round before you can do another pairing and start another round. It doesn't help very much, if at all.

Barren

Definitely bring that point for the discussion for tomorrow if you can make it, if not then I will ask people on there the easiest way to conduct the brackets

Eternal

And I'm entered! Been a bit since I've done an Arena battle, so I wholly expect to be thrashed.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

bruinsgirl33

Hi! I'm here since my Boyfriend asked me to join his tournament. I'm interested since I play FF7 and have seen him play Tactics before. Hopefully you guys don;t mind :)

CT5Holy

Perhaps the way to divide the Swiss portion is to have hosts take turns doing whole rounds? i.e gatebuster does all the R1 matches, then dw does all the R2 matches, etc.

Also I think I asked this before, but the format sounds like it's Swiss for X rounds, then teams with 8 best records advance to and face off in a single elimination bracket?

Gaignun

August 29, 2016, 02:41:30 am #74 Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 02:52:03 am by Gaignun
We could also apportion matches to each of the hosts at the beggining of each round, wait for the hosts to upload their videos, perform matchmaking for the next round, then repeat the process.  This would lighten the burden on any one host, but add some delay between rounds as we wait for every host to finish his or her matches.

In addition, do we have a matchmaking algorithm prepared?  We have more than 32 contestants, so we will need a method for efficiently and fairly pairing players with similar win/loss ratios.

CT5Holy

I think challonge can do Swiss - if yes, then it should be able to automatically pair players by win-loss record, right? Or are there other factors to consider?

Gaignun

August 29, 2016, 04:05:37 am #76 Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 06:49:58 am by Gaignun
Oh, I did not know that Challonge has Swiss tournaments.  I am having a look at it, and it seems we can even award points for each win of a match.   Challonge should do nicely.

Double-post: I won't be able to make it to the evening discussion due to time-zone differences, but let me know if I can contribute in some way.  I can do everything other than record matches.

gatebuster202

If it can't I just need someone to randomize everyone and I can build the Swiss pairings. (Swiss doesn't use a Bracket at most TCG tournaments.)

Usually you randomize everyone. 1 plays 2, 3 plays 4 ect. For round 1

Winners of round 1 play Each other and losers face of. Match 1 and 2 winners play each other. (Yes it looks like a traditional bracket for the first two rounds. After that, you just pair the closest records. Which can be a bit hard, but it will make sense and everyone should be able to back check my work if I did it.)

CupOfOrangeJuice

I can't wait to see how my team does! I'm excited for how things will go.

Andante49