• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

FFT: Parted Ways Job Class Discussion (Current: Freelancer)

Started by Eternal248, December 18, 2010, 09:10:09 am

Eternal

This topic is wholly devoted to discussing job classes and their abilities. Discuss what you think is unbalanced, fun, too weak, etc. Currently, I am only going to work on generic jobs, since those are the most important for now.

FREELANCER

Skillset: Master of Arms

Innate: Re-Equip, JP Boost, Defense Boost
Equip: All
Elemental Affinities: None
Status Affinities: None

HP Growth: 11
HP Multiplier: 100
MP Growth: 15
MP Multiplier: 75
Speed Growth: 100
Speed Multiplier: 100
PA Growth: 60
PA Multiplier: 90
MA Growth: 50
MA Multiplier: 80
Move: 4
Jump: 3
Evasion: 5%

MASTER OF ARMS

Impart Knowledge
100 JP
Learn Rate: 60%

Range: 1

Use: Used to take EXP from an ally to help prevent levels from getting too high, while gaining EXP to catch up with allies.
Formula: StealEXP_(Lowest of TarCurEXP & SP + Y) Hit: (SP + X%)
X = 255
Y = 5

Impale
350 JP
Learn Rate: 60%

Range: 1
Vertical: 1
MP: 10

Add: Dead (25%)

Use: Used after gaining MP from other classes, and after gaining PA from other classes as a decent attack that can be used even in later battles.
Formula: (PA*(WP+Y)) 100% Status
Y = 1

Tension
200 JP
Learn Rate: 50%

Range: Self

Use: Used to increase Fury to increase damage output for rushing enemies.
Formula: +Brave (Y)
Y = 10

Resolve
200 JP
Learn Rate: 50%

Range: Self

Use: Used to decrease Fury to decrease damage taken during longer battles.
Formula: -Brave (Y) Hit: (MA + X%)
X = 255
Y = 10

Reactions:
-None

Supports:
-JP Boost (Gains extra JP from actions)

Movements:
-JP Stroll (Gain JP equal to 2*Tiles Moved)

OK, so here's what I need help with. For one, balancing their stats. I want them to be equally versed in magic and physical abilities without mastering them like those perspective lines of classes. I think they need some higher MA and MP, and maybe higher PA? Thoughts?

Also, help balancing their skills would be great. :D
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Arganthonius7

This replaces squire, right?
It seems to be a PA based class, so maybe switch the PA & MA growths and multipliers?
Also, what method are you using for balancing speed?

Eternal

I'm not sure about speed quite yet. I need to watch Paheej's video and decide what route I'll take.

That said, the Freelancer isn't really a PA-based class. It's supposed to be equally good at both magic and physical attacks so that it can equally use skills it learned from any job.

EDIT: Yes, this replaces Squire.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Pride

I thought Innate: Re-Equip was removed because it bypasses the item debuffs (like always:poison) and only gives them to advantages of said item. I see this as the only problem. I, also, don't necessary agree with having the starter class with an ability that may inflicted dead to go with damage; seems very powerful at the start. But if others don't agree then it is a non-issue
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Aquilae

You should just go with a straight PA-based class since the base skillset doesn't even have any magic attacks. Impale shouldn't Add:Dead, in exchange the Y constant should go up to offset the rather steep MP cost. PA * (WP + 3 or 4) should do the trick, otherwise it isn't worth using over the normal attack.
:gay:

Eternal

Yeah, Re-Equip will be removed in the final version for being (ironically) overpowered. That said, Aquilae, I still do want Freelancer to at least be able to use magic fairly decently, even if none of their skills really require it. I'm fine with changing Impale, but I'm at a loss for their stats.

philsov

Those stats suck O.o

Sub 100 for both MA and PA, 100 for HP and Sp?  The only thing the class has going for it is 4 movement and innate Def Up.  Coupled with a 4-ability skillset, I don't see this class being much different than a vanilla squire.  That is -- good until job level 2 and then real jobs open up, leaving both the class and skillset in the dust.  I mean, if that's what you're going for... great.  Otherwise, I'd suggest 100(+) for both PAM and MAM, assuming the classes that do excel in one area or the other are floating at around 140 multipliers, respectively.

As for the skillset -- its just so... empty.  I don't know what all is getting used in other classes and if there's any functions that still need to be spread out, but this one is certainly capable of taking on new tasks.  Currently it's good for... fury tweaking, being an exp sponge, and an attack with a 25% dead proc.  Perhaps expand its array of status inflict proc attacks?  Have one for dead, one for slow, one for don't move, etc.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Kagebunji

All I can say that I will like it nio matter what you do to it. Phil's suggestions will surely help.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Eternal

Heh, its current stats are those of the Vanilla Squire. :P

And yeah, I had only given them four skills originally because I was so strapped for skill slots. I do, however, have two free skillslots now which I can use on them.

GeneralStrife

Aquilae

I suggest you give the Freelancer a few Blue Magic-esque spells, and do away with Impale. The Blue Magic spells will make Freelancer's skillset viable for future chapters, while ensuring it isn't overpowered in the first few stages of the game. Impale is relatively worthless, the 25% dead proc doesn't help very much at all due to it's shaky activation rate, and as it stands, it is a waste of 10 MP.

Instead, you should give Freelancer a ranged weapon skill, similar to Night Sword but doesn't leech HP. A single-target, 1-range Shock also sounds like a good idea. You also might want to consider giving them Ultima, if you don't have any plans for it, but I think an instant, 1 AoE MA*Y spell would also be very useful.

Eternal

Well, there's already a tier of Blue Mage-like classes: Psions and Necromancers. Psions learn their skills from other Psions (mentally), and Necromancers learn their skills from other Necromancers and Ghosts/Skeletons.

Aquilae

Hmm.. I scrolled through the skills in the Complete save and a few things caught my eye -

Matrydom - Seems a tad too strong, since it is 100% Add:Dead and does Shock! damage. I think some other negative status like Death Sentence would be better than Dead, it would make it a lot more situational. I could see myself going with Matrydom even at full health because it one-shots most units and there aren't many revival skills.

Explosive Shot (sniper skillset) - If I'm not reading the formula wrongly, it does PA * (1...10) damage, similar to Throw Stone, and has a 100% knockback. I don't see it as being very useful though, the damage is quite low and knockback doesn't work most of the time. Fall damage is also quite negligible. Maybe rewire it to be similar to Sonic Boom from the FFTA Hunter, but make it cost MP?

Arise (devout skillset) - This skill seems a tad too powerful, even if it has a whopping 9 CT. Doesn't seem that clear-cut though, I still don't know what the Fire element is supposed to do, other than for flavor. Infinite AoE Target All Allies revival seems a little too good to be true.

Harbinger - You've probably realised this by now, but Harbinger has duplicates of Fear, Stop, Immobilise and Disable in its' skillset. Fleshrender and Fearsyphon don't seem good enough to justify the JP spent on them, as it is only a PA*2 damage increase from what I'm seeing. You could probably give them 3-4 range to provide an alternative over normal attacks on Immobilised / Disabled targets.