• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:13:32 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

zalbag as a playable character, plus Zombanes discussion

Started by RandMuadDib, May 18, 2011, 01:59:51 pm

RandMuadDib

May 18, 2011, 01:59:51 pm Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:24:12 pm by RandMuadDib
I would like to get some opinions here. First I would like to say that zalbag is one of my favorite characters in fft, and as the thread name implies I would like to add him as a playable character, preferably without destroying his role in the story. I have thought about having him join up instead of adramelech killing him, and having vormav bring back balbanes or teta as a zombie instead, but that I feel is too late in the game to be useful. I have also considered adding him at the beginning of chapter 2, but then he would be absent for his part in ch 4.

If you were to add zalbag to the pary, when would you do it and how would you change the story to make it fit?
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

philsov

the most fitting way is with andramelk, largely because of Zalbag overhearing Dycegarg and Rofel, and the mosfungus chemist scene. 

Prior to that the next best meetup location would be after Zalmo I in chapter 3.  But then you'd need to somehow force the event at Igros in late chapter 4...

At which point I'd probably not change much, really.  After Elmdor/Zalera I'd go "your sister is in another castle!  lulz!" which should prompt Igros to be the hotspot. Only to, of course, upon Ramza's arrival (minus Zalbag's chocobo~) his sister is once again at another castle, but Dycegarg is waiting for Ramza/Zalbag to kill them in the name of being an evil zodiac dude.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

LastingDawn

Hmm, I am afraid that the only real way to make it seem legitimate is to have him join Ramza after the Dycedarg battle. Before that Zalbag's mind is completely belonging to Dycedarg's schemes. But that he has a unique skillset (and strangely unique RSM) I believe in earlier drafts of the plot it was likely that Zalbag was meant to join you, but the idea was tossed aside even before they decided to make a formation screen spot for him, I say this because of his RSM which is completely different from every other single special in the game.

After Adramelk seems the only way to make it work legitimately, any other place would seem a betrayal of Zalbag's character in my opinion.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

RandMuadDib

Quote from: LastingDawn on May 18, 2011, 05:39:40 pm
After Adramelk seems the only way to make it work legitimately, any other place would seem a betrayal of Zalbag's character in my opinion.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking.

Zozma

I agree with LD on this as well, this would be jacking up the story the least
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Dome

Well, Zalbag could join after the "Zombie" fight
Instead of exploding, a zodiac stone could "Revert" him to his normal status, much like Malak is resurrected

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Zozma

I was thinking along the lines of how complicated it might be, but that would not be too hard at all, just adding more dialog and whatnot to the end of that battle
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

RandMuadDib

Yeah, I find it mechanically useless to add anyone after orlandu, look at vormav's daughter, no one uses her (besides being overshadowed by orlandu, who I plan on not allowing to join, too OP). I guess I will just have to find someone/thing else to give zalbags abilities. Thanks for the opinions guys.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Ramza uses a Zodiac stone to fix Zalbag, just like Rafa does Malak.  There's your justification.

RandMuadDib

That's a good justification, but I think it might be too late in the game for him to be useful... wait, you can't get cloud until after this event anyway, right?

MagiusRerecros

I don't remember if you can or not... Do you fight Zombag at Igros or Murond? If you fight him at Murond, then you can get Cloud right before you'd revive Zalbag.
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

RandMuadDib

alright well you can get cloud after fighting dycedarg/adremelech. its vormav who raises zombag, and so cloud is before zombag.
I think i shall have ramza recall Zalbag from hell with a zodiac stone just after the fight with adremelech, and then replace zombag with zombie balbanes, since he has a full sprite here. then instead of calling out Zalbag! he'll call out Father!

Easy enough change with what i believe would be an enhancement to the story.

MagiusRerecros

Zombanes, huh? Could be interesting. Giving him a new skillset might be a bit of a challenge, since afaik, nobody actually knows how he fights.

RandMuadDib

I was under the impression that zombag just ran around bloodsucking?

MagiusRerecros

Looking at his entry in the ENTD, he still has his original Arc Knight job, including Destroy Sword, but he was given Blood Suck as a secondary, and the AI just seems to consider that good enough to override any other action. At least, as far as I can tell, anyways.

RandMuadDib

yup, thats was i thought. I'll give zombanes his own skillset, his job set to knight gallant, and blood suck. I think his knight gallant skillset will be some of zalbag's and some of agrias's, unless someone else can give me a better option? Of course it -probably- won't matter because he'll just use blood suck, but hey. A for effort, right?

LastingDawn

May 25, 2011, 04:27:05 pm #16 Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:30:10 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm, Zombie Zalbag and Zalbag do have two different jobs, though they still appear to have very similar parameters, Zombie Zalbag is just a slightly more powerful version of Zalbag.

Balbanes as a Zombie hmm? I like the sound of that. So what skills did you propose giving the Heavenly Knight?

EDIT: Not much, hmm? I suggest skills in essence similar to an Illusionist from FFTA, this should encourage something else aside from Blood Suck at all times, if an ally is out of range it may be even more dangerous not to be blood sucked.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

RandMuadDib

I was thinking spped sap, power sap, northswains strike, and shadowblade, maybe lightning stab or holy explosion to mix it up. of course he'll still have speed save like zombie zalbaag and probably DU and MDU. I always felt that if you could control the blood suck that battle was too easy.

MagiusRerecros

I like that idea... Mossfungus breath sounds amazing. And smelly.