• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Final Fantasy Tactics 2 - New project?

Started by JairGarza, July 13, 2015, 09:14:14 pm

JairGarza

July 13, 2015, 09:14:14 pm Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 09:21:12 pm by JairGarza
Ok, here's the deal...

I've been playing FFT since I was 6 years old (now 21), I have finished this game a lot of times that I can't even count how many. I know every secret on it. On my first time playing this game I had no idea about the story (I'm not a native english speaker), I just liked the gameplay. When I was 15 years old, I started learning english very fast, and the first thing I thought was FFT. I really wanted to know the story behind that game, and I played it again to understand the full history. I was fascinated, I started to like it even more; I was obsessed with this game.

I always wanted to play FFT:WOTL but I never had the facility to buy a PSP.

Lets be honest, FFT Advance sucks, also A2 Grimoire of the Rift. I played them on a PC emulator and I ended dissapointed.

This year I ended Vagrant Story, one of my childhood games that I never ended (too fucking dificult for my age), and there was an item called "Agrias Balm: Balm used by the great knight Agrias as told in the Zodiac Brave Story", and then I remembered FFT:WOTL. After that I looked around on forums and I  finally found a way to play that game... HOLY SHIT!!! It was really good, and the cutscenes were outstanding on so many ways.

I found this page and I see so many active members that like the game like I do, so I thought...

We can make a proper sequel of this game? I don't know, there are so many posibilities that can we discuss and work on a project together.

I will work on it, if anyone is interested in helping, YOU'RE WELCOME!

P.D. Sorry if there's something misspelled, I don't know english at 100%.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!!!

Raijinili

Projects often fail because:
1. No implementer. Lots of people have ideas. Not many people can (or rather, are willing to learn how to) implement those ideas. (If you're a programmer in the modern era, and people know this: "I have a good idea for an app, I just need you to do all the actual work code it up.)

Also, different people like different things about this game. I like that stat growth differences are minimal, but one of the first things philsov did was to make stat growth difference much bigger. Without a consistent vision, you're going to have lots of inconsistent ideas thrown in the mix. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_by_committee.

So if your plan is just, "Let's work together with lots of strangers to make a complicated thing," stop now. You might want to start with a list of things YOU like about it. Maybe write out the design principles before you decide to throw in with not-like-minded folks.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

• Modding version: PSX

Koruten

By proper sequel, you mean a hack right, and not a whole new thing?

Also as Raujinili said, you're gonna need to come up with something to work off of, or else you're project is most likely going to fail. Even with the help of strangers, you need something to pitch to them, and have them all agree to your ideas, or ideas they come up with themselves.

Start writing out a script and some scenarios, characters, bosses, do concept art if you can. You're gonna need something to work with.

JairGarza

Quote from: Raijinili on July 13, 2015, 11:13:49 pm
Projects often fail because:
1. No implementer. Lots of people have ideas. Not many people can (or rather, are willing to learn how to) implement those ideas. (If you're a programmer in the modern era, and people know this: "I have a good idea for an app, I just need you to do all the actual work code it up.)

Also, different people like different things about this game. I like that stat growth differences are minimal, but one of the first things philsov did was to make stat growth difference much bigger. Without a consistent vision, you're going to have lots of inconsistent ideas thrown in the mix. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_by_committee.

So if your plan is just, "Let's work together with lots of strangers to make a complicated thing," stop now. You might want to start with a list of things YOU like about it. Maybe write out the design principles before you decide to throw in with not-like-minded folks.

Quote from: Koruten on July 14, 2015, 04:50:44 am
By proper sequel, you mean a hack right, and not a whole new thing?

Also as Raujinili said, you're gonna need to come up with something to work off of, or else you're project is most likely going to fail. Even with the help of strangers, you need something to pitch to them, and have them all agree to your ideas, or ideas they come up with themselves.

Start writing out a script and some scenarios, characters, bosses, do concept art if you can. You're gonna need something to work with.

Raijinili / Koruten, I understand that point of view, and made me change my mind, I will start the project on my own and showing to the forum some advances. First of all I will make a storyline that would implicate a lot of actual data from the game, I don't want to mess up my time making new scenarios and a map that would be really hard and almost impossible to make on my own, that would implicate a whole new thing and to be honest I'm not capable to make such thing.

Of course I will need some suggestions and help from people with experience that will change the game result based on the game that we want to play.

I have a little more than basic programming experience, of course there's a lot of new things that I need to learn, and I'm conscious that this is not a short time project, but I'm on total disposition to make it happen.

Thanks for reading!

Quote from: Elric on July 14, 2015, 12:36:14 am
This thread helped me out a lot when I started

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6125.0

Actually that was the first post I read, and it made me think on an able to made project.

Your game patch Jot5 brought me here, that's a fine job. Accidently I clicked on a walkthrough of that patch when I was watching FFT videos, you're the reason why I found this page, and I'm glad you encountered this post.

Later, if you like the advances that I'll be showing, it would be a honor to accept your help or suggestion on anything you want to collaborate.

Tails_Doll_Prower

You're seriously working it through? I'll follow till a Demo is out. I like Final Fantasy Tactics and can't wait to try.

Xifanie

http://rc.ffhacktics.com/
^ You also want to check this out to see how easy/troublesome your endeavor would be. This project would be no small task.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Nyzer

Quote from: Tails_Doll_Prower on September 17, 2015, 11:30:37 pm
You're seriously working it through? I'll follow till a Demo is out. I like Final Fantasy Tactics and can't wait to try.

The topic creator hasn't returned to the site since July 15th, it seems. Also, a FFT-2 project would take years of work. Assuming that all events are new, half the sprites/Jobs would be new, the maps are all new, the battles are all new, half the items are new, and someone worked on it for two hours every single day ever -
We estimate that it would take you between 2862.75 and 7712.62 hours to complete your mod. At 2 hours/day, the estimated completion date would be between August 20 2019 and April 9 2026.

JairGarza

I'm working on the project, soon I'll be posting some advances, I'll be glad to hear what you guys think