• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:16:22 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

About PSP version patching

Started by NeXaR, February 06, 2008, 05:51:44 pm

NeXaR

February 06, 2008, 05:51:44 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeXaR
Hi, I'm new here, so first of all, hello to all folks here.

I'm currently translating the PSP version to Spanish, and today I've come across this website and noticed the tools you have here. Specifically, the FFTPatcher. So, I downloaded it, and while reading the readme, I came across this:

QuoteFAQs:
Q: Why do I have to use CWCheat to mod the PSP game?
A: Some of the data on the UMD is encrypted so it can't be modified using a PC application.
   The CWCheat codes modify the data in the PSP's memory after it has been decrypted by the kernel.

I guess this is related to the ecryption & sign of the EBOOT.BIN (PSP executable).

In the early stages of my translation, I ran onto this same thing and discovered a VERY interesting thing. the "other" bin file in the UMD, BOOT.BIN, is the same executable, but unencrypted & unsigned, that is, open for editing. So, simply, switch over the two files, and you can edit anything in the game the way you want without CWCHEAT.

I'm throwing this into hope it's useful for FFTPatcher development. I could use it in a "fully functional" (read: permanent patching) version because there are certain things I don't know how to hack by myself.

Cheers to all and sorry if my english is not very clear (I'm spanish).

Cheetah

February 06, 2008, 05:56:06 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Well your english is very good, maybe better than mine. Good luck on your translation, I don't know much about the hacking relm so I'm not much use to you. Do you have a means of editing the text/script yet, I feel like a lot of people have been asking about that?
Current Projects:

NeXaR

February 06, 2008, 06:03:21 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeXaR
Quote from: "Cheetah"Well your english is very good, maybe better than mine. Good luck on your translation, I don't know much about the hacking relm so I'm not much use to you. Do you have a means of editing the text/script yet, I feel like a lot of people have been asking about that?

Yes, I've already changed the font to add special characters, and edited almost all dialog sequences in the game. Just recently, I'm editing the "graphical texts", such as the "Chapter X" and locations.

But I'm struggling with the jobs editing. I have the "list" of jobs located, but currently, I'm limited by the original size of them (as a whole, not each job individually), so I can't translate them by now. And the same goes for the Items, Abilities, and such "lists". I've not subtitled the videos yet either, but I have the means to do it when the time comes.

melonhead

February 06, 2008, 06:22:11 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by melonhead
Quote from: "NeXaR"Hi, I'm new here, so first of all, hello to all folks here.

I'm currently translating the PSP version to Spanish, and today I've come across this website and noticed the tools you have here. Specifically, the FFTPatcher. So, I downloaded it, and while reading the readme, I came across this:

QuoteFAQs:
Q: Why do I have to use CWCheat to mod the PSP game?
A: Some of the data on the UMD is encrypted so it can't be modified using a PC application.
   The CWCheat codes modify the data in the PSP's memory after it has been decrypted by the kernel.

I guess this is related to the ecryption & sign of the EBOOT.BIN (PSP executable).

In the early stages of my translation, I ran onto this same thing and discovered a VERY interesting thing. the "other" bin file in the UMD, BOOT.BIN, is the same executable, but unencrypted & unsigned, that is, open for editing. So, simply, switch over the two files, and you can edit anything in the game the way you want without CWCHEAT.

I'm throwing this into hope it's useful for FFTPatcher development. I could use it in a "fully functional" (read: permanent patching) version because there are certain things I don't know how to hack by myself.

Cheers to all and sorry if my english is not very clear (I'm spanish).

Hm. I knew the files were identical because I decrypted EBOOT.BIN with PRXDecrypter. Are you saying I can just remove EBOOT.BIN from the ISO, or rename BOOT.BIN, or some other way so that the PSP runs the BOOT.BIN instead of EBOOT.BIN?

Some more info on the way to do this would appreciated.

The M33 custom firmware has an option to run BOOT.BIN vs. EBOOT.BIN, but I couldn't get it to work, even if enabled.

melonhead

February 06, 2008, 06:24:33 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by melonhead
Quote from: "NeXaR"But I'm struggling with the jobs editing. I have the "list" of jobs located, but currently, I'm limited by the original size of them (as a whole, not each job individually), so I can't translate them by now. And the same goes for the Items, Abilities, and such "lists". I've not subtitled the videos yet either, but I have the means to do it when the time comes.

There is another team working on translating the game to Italian, so you might check with them to see if they have any advice. Some of them posted in the FFTPatcher thread on the ROMHacking forums.

NeXaR

February 06, 2008, 06:31:05 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeXaR
Well, what I'm saying is: rename BOOT.BIN to EBOOT.BIN and re-import it to the iso; on custom firmware, an EXE doesn't need to be encrypted and/or signed in order to run. That's the way I'm working on it. I don't know if "boot.bin" must be there in order to the game to work, but just in case, I keep both copies of the same file, one as boot.bin, and the other as eboot.bin.

And thanks for the info, I'll check that thread.