• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:05:56 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Is there a reason why fftacktext refuses to function for wotl?

Started by kaitoseishin, March 23, 2016, 04:19:21 am

kaitoseishin

You cant even patch a vanilla iso onto itself for wotl or patch an iso onto itself that has been untouched since its last patching for the psx version. DTE keeps failing for the most arbitrary reasons on multiple boot.bins. You fix the problem on that boot by deleting japanese text or other symbols and then there is a nother problem on another boot.bin with no symbols or japanese. Then you delete possible offenders and get it down to the last possible boot.bin and then they just say object not set to reference. Its frustrating to work with. The worse offender so far is when hacktexts say the error lies in the merchants dialogue text. What possible reason could there be for that? THEYRE UNTOUCHED WITH NOT FOREGIN SYMBOLS! I meticulously scan over every detail and line and there should no reason for any of these issues. The merchants lines are fine so why would there be an error there? Its finding errors that dont even make sense anymore.  I tried using .457 and it worked once and never functioned again. I delete all japanese characters, I make sure that there is no text where there isnt supposed to be, make sure im not over the font limit which is usually 218 at most, and i even save the patch, reopen the program and try it again and it still wont cooperate. Things that are left untouched, below the font limit, and have no unrecognized characters somehow still have errors in them. Redownloaded hacktexts numerous times. What possible reason could there be? Ive searched these forums front and back, side to side, and seen every conceivable forum there is on the issues related to my issues and non of the methods work when no problem should be present. Does the program just not work? It just seems to be failing on all sides now. Hacktexts wont even work for my psx version anymore which was functioning flawlessly for months. I just tried repatching it onto itself just to see if hacktexts would fail me and it did so. It failed just as expected. There is no reason to post screenshots of my problem because there is no issue present in them but hacktexts still refuses to cooperate. There are no foreign characters, exceeded font limits, text where there shouldnt be, etc. Ive scanned the forums religiously and non of their solutions work. Its finding issues where there are non. None of the edits I make far exceed the original text that was there but even so, hacktexts has worked before for psx flawlessly so that cant be the problem. There is something wrong with the vanilla dismiss quotes and merchant quotes for some reason even though they are vanilla and contain no offending characters or symbols. What possible reason could there conceivably be for this fail? Is hacktexts just fundamentally flawed?

What possible hailmary fixes could i do and what are the general issues hacktexts has with wotl, and now even psx, have i overlooked? Im at a loss. A general and genuine loss. Again just to reiterate, i have massacred the possible forums related to issues around every aspect of hacktexts there could be and they dont work. Hacktexts shouldnt even be finding issues at all.

EDIT: To clarify on the what i do try to change. Simply job name and descriptions, but those arent the problem. The problem is hacktext is finding issues EVERYWHERE ELSE ON A VANILLA ISO THAT HAS BEEN OBLITERATED OF FOREIGN SYMBOLS. Its finding issues with dismiss quotes which i then proceed to purge of issues,then unit names, then vanilla shop quotes, then when ive eliminated possible errors in the bins it directs me to, at the end it just says object set to no reference. Now a patched iso for psx that has been my main iso since i first started and hack when hacktext actually worked that was patched just fine before wont patch onto itself. Vanilla isos wont patch onto themselves. Redownloaded and tried multiple hacktext versions and even .457 and nothing works.

Nyzer

Have you tried saving your edits as a .fftext file, closing Tactext, reopening it, loading the .fftext, and immediately patching that to the ISO without editing it further? For some reason, taking the extra steps to make a .fftext file, then reload it fresh, tends to be way more reliable than just directly patching it right then and there.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Angel

Tactext is far and away the most volatile drama queen PMSing bitch tool we have and use, especially toward WotL where it has never worked flawlessly, and in some places even limits data in ways it doesn't need to. Personally, I would never have the patience to wrestle with even .457 to play nice with WotL.

If it worked before with PSX and doesn't now, I'd recommend redownloading .457 and keeping an untouched backup of it in case things go screwy again. Tactext + WotL = employ witchcraft and superstition until you reach the intended result.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?