• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Spriting Tutorial (Using Shishi's, etc.)

Started by CidIII, March 05, 2009, 07:33:50 pm

Kagebunji

July 19, 2009, 02:26:05 pm #80 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kagebunji
I will do that, but you helped too, oh and what means IRC?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

SilvasRuin

July 19, 2009, 02:37:35 pm #81 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Internet Relay Chat.  See the button at the top of the page that says "Chat Now!"?  It will bring up IRC in a window/tab to chat with the other members of this forum.

Anadhi

July 23, 2009, 03:03:36 pm #82 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Anadhi
err guys, I need some help here. I tried to use "import BMP", changing Balmafula (BARU) Sprite #2 into Aeris' sprite (Toki_W-follow.bmp) I downloaded from FFHacktics database, I got error message like this:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.BadImageFormatException: Format of the executable (.exe) or library (.dll) is invalid.
   at FFTPatcher.SpriteEditor.AbstractSprite.ImportBitmap(Bitmap bmp, Boolean& foundBadPixels)
   at FFTPatcher.SpriteEditor.AbstractCompressedSprite.ImportBitmap(Bitmap bmp, Boolean& foundBadPixels)
   at FFTPatcher.SpriteEditor.AbstractShapedSprite.ImportBitmap(Bitmap bmp, Boolean& foundBadPixels)
   at FFTPatcher.SpriteEditor.SpriteDialog.<>c__DisplayClass3.<importBmpMenuItem_Click>b__0()
   at FFTPatcher.SpriteEditor.SpriteDialog.DoFileOperation(MethodInvoker action)
   at FFTPatcher.SpriteEditor.SpriteDialog.importBmpMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.MenuItemData.Execute()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Command.DispatchID(Int32 id)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ShishiSpriteEditor
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.352
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.352
    CodeBase: file:///G:/Data%20Bank/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20Hacktics/software/FFTPatcher-v0.352/ShishiSpriteEditor.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
FFTPatcher
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.352
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.352
    CodeBase: file:///G:/Data%20Bank/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20Hacktics/software/FFTPatcher-v0.352/FFTPatcher.EXE
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

any help would be appreciated. :(

edit: it seems it happens because I use an incorrect bmp file. I tried to import spr and choosing .spr file to change balmafula's sprite #2 to AerisFFT.spr does anyone have suggestion which sprite should I replace for Aeris?
I also tried to replace Cloud's sprite using the neocloud.spr from the database, using shishi, I managed to import the sprite but it exceed the maximum size (even after I use extended iso) is it okay to proceed with it?

Delano

October 10, 2009, 08:39:34 pm #83 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Delano
Hi Cid III.

How I make the left facing front of caracther.
I can't understand at all.

EDIT:left facing caracther problem solved.

But yhe program says the bmp is not 16.
Maybe it's les  than 16 but how I will know?

MiKeMiTchi

October 10, 2009, 09:42:40 pm #84 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
^ Hmm.. have you downloaded Graphicsgale yet?
I'll guide you from there.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Delano

October 11, 2009, 12:27:16 am #85 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Delano
Really?

>Now my problems are solved, cause the spirite is the ramza with cape(You made this one)

>I have the new version of Shishi Spirit Editor(0,352),Graphic Gale e GIMP.

>Well lets begin my steps.

>Import spirites into the iso (.BIN) using the shishi (old);
>Open CD Mage and extract the UNIT.BIN e WILDFACE.BIN;
>Cut the left front view of the spirit using mspaint or gimp(in gimp I specificate the dimensions =>24x40 pixels);
>Open the PALsuite 3.2(view tutorial in page 1) and resize to 16 colors;
>Now I have the 24x40 .BPM file and the .pal;
>Open the FFTEVGRP and open ==>UNIT.BIN e WILDFACE.BIN)
>Import then into the FFTEVGRP/UNIT.BIN;

>Then occours the ERROR;
>If I remember, the siprite(your) have 15 colors, then I convert then into 15 and the ERROR occours again;

MiKeMiTchi

October 11, 2009, 03:02:19 am #86 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Hmm.. I don't use that program, so I think you should post a new thread for that. :)

Delano

October 11, 2009, 09:48:45 am #87 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Delano
What the program you not use using now?

I'm trying with the Delita Chapter 4 spirite.
The UNIT.BIN was Sucessfull but the WLDFACE...

In the graphic gale, it have 17 colors and the body have 15??
Is this Right?

The face of ramza and delita are like this, but just after I export the bpm
file from the SHishi.
In the shishi it's okay.

MiKeMiTchi

October 11, 2009, 09:56:57 am #88 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
That's how the spritesheet works. I don't know if you'd understand this.

Every vanilla sprite has 16 colors max, so it's impossible to have 17+ colors.
Remember, in a sprite sheet, the maximum color depth is 256, 16 for the sprite, 16 for the portrait, and the other colors for other palettes (16 for every row).

QuoteThe face of ramza and delita are like this, but just after I export the bpm
file from the SHishi.

That's because it uses colors from the sprite (1st row).
As you can see, If you export the .SPR into .BMP and open it in GraphicsGale,

there are colors from the 1st row and colors from the 9th row.
The colors from the 1st row are for the sprite, and the 9th row are for the portrait.

If you wanna get the original colors for the portrait, the best thing to do, is to PRINT SCREEN, paste, crop and rotate the portrait using paint.

Delano

October 11, 2009, 04:27:24 pm #89 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Delano
Yes, that's right!!!(I understand)

It's so funny cause it's so simple.(I was trying complex and hard steps when the solution is so easy)

Really tanks MikeMITchi, you really helped me a lot in this site.
With your help now I can make my own fft(veeery smaller than Mercenaries or even Call of Power)Hehe..

But 2 more questions:

>this metod by printing screen and ...can be used to get the WLDFACE only or it gets the UNIT too?

>Creating spirites:

>I'm trying to create my own spirites;
>What is the program to edit the spirites?(I'm using the GIMP and GRAPHICGALE, but I can't use new colors,only the ones in spirite.

EDIT:The real problem I got now is to change the musics, I'm looking for a .SMD converter to convert my mp3 musics and import then into the fft.
Anyway where's the FFT logo song? I can't find it.

MiKeMiTchi

October 12, 2009, 09:14:31 am #90 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Quotethis metod by printing screen and ...can be used to get the WLDFACE only or it gets the UNIT too?

Yes, you can get almost everything in PRINT SCRN, as long as you press that button on the right situation. :)

I recommend GraphicsGale over GIMP.
You can alter the colors in GraphicsGale, by changing its values on the 'palette toolbox'

Hmm.. I don't know about the soundtracks, but at this moment, we can't hack fft music.
But, we can change the music in-game with pre-made fft soundtracks in the game.

jimmyjw88

October 12, 2009, 11:10:22 am #91 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Wow...seems that a lot here are using GraphicGale over GIMP. Haha.
I'm using GIMP =p
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Delano

October 12, 2009, 07:38:46 pm #92 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Delano
Tanks Mike MITchi.

>I already have learned the spiriting stuff.My only difficult is creating new spirites but some Hardwork and Patience(like as you say) can solve this
little problem; :!:

>Now I gonna start my second project, a little bigger, FFT My name is Earl
(My Name is Earl is a North American TV Serie)
>In this one I will change almost everything in the game, from spirites to the story,passing by texts, scenes,musics if possible,etc... :)

Orlandu

October 23, 2009, 09:58:20 am #93 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Orlandu
Quote from: "CidIII"Step #8: With the character selected we are going to need to open up our BATTLE Spritesheet, and acquire just the Left Front Facing View. The dimensions we need are 24X40 pixels, no bigger no smaller.*

*If you are having trouble making the image work with the program (16 Bit Color Error, etc.). Check this out, it may help you!

*PROTIP*
Take your 24x40 Image of the left facing character, and paste it into a brand new GIMP file, with the dimensions set to 24x40 (obviously).

Now this next step, is going to create your palette for you...

Go to 'Image' at the top -> Mode -> Indexed

This should open up a window (shown below) prompting you to generate the palette, select 'Generate Optimum Palette', and then click convert.

Check to make sure there are only 16 color slots and then 'Save as' a .BMP file.

*NOTE* This will also make it really easy to obtain the .PAL file from using PALSuite as shown below!

Step #9: We also need a .PAL file. To acquire one of these we can do three things.*

---
*PAL FILE*

The first thing:
~Go to this site: http://www.alister.eu/palsuite/downloads.html
~Download PALSuite Version 3.02
~Start it up, and open the bitmap file
~Go to -Edit -> Resize... -> Size '16' -> OK (You don't need to do this if you did what I suggested above!)
~Double check the color values to make sure they are correct!
~Now! Just go -File -> Save As -> Save as File Type -> Select RIFF Palette
~Name and you are done!

i really hate to ask this.. but i already tinkering with these for hours, and all i still can't get it right

The "IMPORT BMP" size must 24x40 right? and what about the BMP type? there're 16,24,256 bitmap, i've tried all of them. none works.

and about the pallete, which file should i open with palsuite? the complete sprite or the single left-forward facing sprite? and which bmp type? 16, 24, 256? i've tried those all too, but none works!

i even downloaded graphicsgale and GIMP, i don't know how to use graphicsgale.. then i tried GIMP, i followed the instruction to mode-indexed-set to 16-convert and then i save it. Still not working..

can anyone give me an up-to-date guide? or maybe just explain it step-by-step... maybe my english is too bad so i didn't really grasp the tutorial  :(

edit :
long story short : how do i create a pallete with the CORRECT colors for that particular sprite. From what file (bmp 16, bmp 24, bmp 256) should i extract the pallete?

Delano

October 24, 2009, 05:28:13 pm #94 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Delano
I trying to change the face of the spirite to it appear in the battle.

>In the bmp it's okay but when I try to import the bmp into shishi...
the image gets bad.(only in the face)

>I have exported the bmp, then I change the face and imported the bmp back into shishi.

AuraDragon

November 16, 2009, 09:11:54 pm #95 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by AuraDragon
Just want to inform CidIII that Note 1 can be changed since it is possible to change Sprite Type AND Note 2 is wrong, simply the first color of every one of the 16 palettes is transparent, regardless the color (I use pink for the background of the portrait, still works fine).

Grillv20

December 23, 2009, 08:51:36 am #96 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Grillv20
http://www.alister.eu/palsuite/downloads.html

link is dead :/ can somebody upload theirs?

h0ndman2

Hey guys, Im new and I want to start spriting to.
Ehh, first question; Does my game has to be .ISO?
Cuz I have an .CSO version.

Aquablack

Quote from: "h0ndman2"Hey guys, Im new and I want to start spriting to.
Ehh, first question; Does my game has to be .ISO?
Cuz I have an .CSO version.

From .CSO I'm guessing you have the PSP version.
I believe you'll need to rip it as an ISO, or find something to uncompress it to an ISO.

Try this: http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/900

edit: Oh, and you might want to see if there's a similar topic to what you're asking before posting in the first one you see.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

h0ndman2

Sorry about that.
Im still a bit lost oon this site.
Yeah, I have psp version.
Thanks for the help man :)