• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:47:51 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Skillsets based on a unit's Zodiac sign?

Started by Fosil, April 20, 2011, 10:37:33 am

Fosil

Like Bard & Dancer, is it possible to have a job's skillset differ based on Zodiac sign, instead of gender?

If so, replacing Orator with this would be totally awesome--albeit open to abuse with GameSharking.

And curious what would happen if you were to change their Zodiac sign mid-battle. I imagine their skillset would stay the same, until after-battle. Or perhaps, stay what it was originally--unless checks were made? I don't know much of that, though.
  • Modding version: PSX

DrBreen

I think it's impossible.
Not because ASM hacking(it will be hard),but because you have no romm for SO much skillsets.
For example,12 zodiac signs for 16 jobs,and so,you have to have...192 different skillsets! There is no room for so much,and it's only for standard jobs. If we'll include special and enemy jobs,we'll have even more.
If you want it only for one specific jobs...well,still you're in lack of USABLE skillsets. And ASM it will be even harder-we cannot understand how to make Mime normal,and ASM your idea will take alot of work.

MysticKnightFF5

In other words, it's entirely possible if it's just one job, but very VERY hard and involves removing many skillsets.

philsov

April 20, 2011, 04:37:56 pm #3 Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 04:39:17 pm by philsov
The ARH (ability requirement hack) enables this rough function, iirc -- only things are tied to the ability, not the skillset.  Bard and Dancer are different and unique classes with individual skillsets, anyways.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=953.msg114339#msg114339

Just remember that the max ability per skillset is 16, so if you lock in 12 abilities for zodiac this leaves 4 abilities to be used freely, meaning each character gets a whopping 5 skills to play with in that skillset.  And I don't recommend doing this for all skillsets, as above there is a limit on the total number of abilities available that will this can strain unless you do some severe changes alongside it.

Changing signs midbattle is a function we have yet to crack, however.  
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Fosil

Oh no, I only meant one job that has its skillset change based on the unit's Zodiac sign. (Not doing this for all jobs.)
So, in the end, 12 skill sets would be needed. (13 if including Serpentarius)

Thanks for the replies, I am glad this is possible. :)

The GameShark's Battle Debug code does allow you to change a unit's Zodiac sign in battle (permanently). So this is where any strangeness would come into play.

Let me clarify? Maybe "change" is the incorrect word here... Final result = 12 or 13 skillsets. Can the game "pull/receive/get" a job's skillset based on the unit's Zodiac sign?  I don't necessarily mean "change" as if the unit's sign was to change--I mean differ from Zodiac sign to Zodiac sign.

Hopefully that is clearer, but my question was answered. :D Yay.
  • Modding version: PSX