• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

FFT: kind of

Started by Asmo X, July 08, 2011, 02:28:51 am

Dome

Won't giving Mustadio's skill CT make him even more useless?

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

The Damned

("Didja get that...thing I sent ya?")

Hmmm...I was thinking about that, but apparently I can't see 1.3 abilities to compare. I know that in Vanilla, Mustadio's abilities weren't able to evaded and that's why I'd imagine they have CT now (especially considering the "aim" that's necessary). Given the changes to Oracle's Paralyze and Time Mage's Don't Move, making it so that 8-range, unavoidable Don't Act and Don't Move has some CT seems like the least one can do; Seal Evil has always been hideously unfair to Undead--let's not pretend otherwise. I say this even if Mustadio has always been a bit underwhelming compared to most of the other (actually) special characters.

Quote from: Eternal248 on July 31, 2011, 04:32:38 pm
MP Switch/Move-MP Up:
MP Switch and Move-MP Up would be seperate if this were my patch alone... but since this is trying to stay true to Vanilla, I hesitated in breaking them up.

*skip a few*

EDIT: Apparently Asmo's list has seperation of MP Switch/Move-MP Up, as well as killing Hamedo. I think I'll do those afterall then. Move-MP Up switched to Dancer (They move, afterall. They're dancers) MP Switch moved to Bard.

Yeah, that seems like it needs to happen, even if it still means that male magical classes get the shaft. Then again, Move-MP Up being on the male side in 1.3 didn't exactly help them either and the separations make more sense and seem like they would be more helpful to the respective genders/sexes than that division.

Foxbird:
Foxbird would probably be remain the same name just to stay true to Vanilla. Elsewise, I'd probably rename it "Unction" or something to match FFTA2.

It just seems like it would need to change to "Unction" then unless you want to imply that a "Foxbird" is, like, crapping a magical egg on you or something to generate the oil. That would seem...odd. I'm not even asking for the animation to be changed and it's not like you're not going have to change the text anyway.

Quote from: Eternal248 on July 31, 2011, 04:32:38 pmLancers:
Vertical Jump 7/8 were mostly removed so that mages wouldn't be outclassed in reaching high-up enemies. I was tempted to keep them, and I don't see them really changing too much, so I wouldn't be averse to putting at least 7 back then. I like the idea of keeping 8 as Izlude-only, though.

Even before what Raven pointed out, that seems rather unnecessary given that you're keeping Teleport & Fly around and, off the top of my head, I can only think of three, maybe four, maps that have sharp enough vertical differences that AI will actually move to for Lancers to have the "advantage".

I mean, I don't really care either way--and, if anything, Izlude should get Jump Level 8. I just find the reasoning for their removal really odd. If Lancers out distancing mages was a concern, then wouldn't Jump Level 5 be far more important to kill than really niche, overly expensive verticals?

Summoners:
Salamander is hit-all namely to keep it from being just a stronger version of Ifrit, and to differentiate it from Ifrit. Silf is pretty different now that it damages, instead of just adding Silence, and it gives Wind much needed representation. Half of MP could probably stand to be 600/650 JP. I'm undecided on it. We'll see what the others have to say.

Ah, I miss that Silf actually did damage now. That was my mistake.

Half of MP probably needs to be 600. It's good, but not as good as Short Charge (usually).

Samurai:
IIRC, Draw Outs are hardcoded not to accept evasion, MP costs, and CT. I've run into the latter two issues when working on PW. If anything, maybe another nerf in damage would be in order? For Masamune, I was thinking of making it something like Haste/Reraise or something, but that seems a bit much.

Really? I thought Elemental and Draw Out had the same hardcoding, so if Elemental could evasion then Draw Out could. I might be remembering incorrectly.

As Masamune, I'd say Haste AND Regen would be fine for something can break and that you can get one of.

Slow Dance/Cheer Song:
I'm fine with actual Speed modding on these simply because of how long it takes for the effects to stack up, as opposed to making them inflict Slow/Haste, which will almost always be good no matter when you use them.

Oh, I just meant removing them completely like in 1.3 rather than making them inflict Slow or Haste, respectively. It just seems odd that you would boost the JP for Life Song and With Knives for what I assumed was because of Mimes while you would keep Cheer Song & Slow Dance despite the fact that just one of them of those makes those abilities exponentially more abusive. I mean, everyone knows how all-important Speed is....

Quote from: Eternal248 on July 31, 2011, 04:32:38 pmAssassin:
You're absolutely right. Among other... oddities... Vanilla had Seal checked off as "Cancel Status" instead of "Add Status" under the AI flags. They should use it more now, hopefully.

Yeah, I remember not even being aware that Assassins had Seal until the first I opened FFTPatcher.

Impure King:
I'm more worried about the MP costs than the CT, honestly, since we're trying to stay true to Vanilla here. I'd be okay with restoring the CT, if others here also agree with it.

0 MP is fine. 0 CT is fine, but for Queklain-only. Making Bio 0 CT makes the Gates of Limberry nigh-impossible unless you're going to force people to like, I don't know, bring a party of low-Faith Ninja with Angel Ring so as not to die.

I kinda think we should be avoiding 1.3's arbitrary "you must have this type of exact set-up to survive" points if we're trying to stick as close vanilla as possible.

Bloody Angel:
Mostly made them 0 CT so the AI wouldn't always be a sitting target for extra damage. Same reasoning for giving Bio 0 CT. She is the final boss, afterall.

Oh, I was aware of why you made most of them 0 CT. I'm wary of those two spells in particular since Mute destroys all MP and I can't remember how fast Altima/Ultima (II) is in vanilla, so I can't remember how much, if any, benefit she'd get being able to spam Return 2 until she could double turn you.

Engineer:
I think FFM found a fix for that bug. I'll ask him later.

He did. He hasn't made it public yet and I doubt he will until 131 ARENA comes out.

Temple Knight:
Oversight on my part. If we weren't sticking to Vanilla, I'd likely give him Swordskills using Geomancy's formula with the debuffs as a bonus or something.

Well, it wouldn't be entirely bad for him and Oracle to be slightly different, really. I could see him getting Chicken back as a -minus Brave ability, especially since unlike generic Oracles, there's only one of him. I'm unsure how much Brave you could subtract for it to be worthwhile yet not overshadow generic Mediators though.

SOLDIER:
I wish we had a decent PA formula we could use for these instead of MA. It'd make life much easier. Cherry Blossom is FFT's reference to Kjata, which is why it's tri-elemental now. The animation backs that up. Cross-Slash inflicts Paralysis in VII, so I wanted to not only reference that, but try and distinguish it a bit from Braver.

Oh, you were referencing Kjata with Cherry Blossom. I thought you were just referencing the animation. I suppose it's fine as a tri-elemental attack thinking of how little elemental reaction there is in vanilla. I guess I'm just used to automatically thinking of things in Embargo terms now, where the current way absorb (and strengthening and nullification) works would make such a technique next to useless.

As for Cross Slash, I had forgotten about that despite using Cross Slash a bit. Perhaps because I don't really like Cloud and Aeris/Aerith's Seal Evil was the primary Limit Break that paralyzed I remember.

I guess it's fine then, though it would have to compete with Stasis Sword if you use Raven's suggestion of 2D.

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on July 31, 2011, 05:23:34 pmI don't like this Calculator set for a few reasons. 

1.  Calculatable tier 2 magic results in a lot of hurt still.
2.  Cure/Regen/Protect/Shell all but obviates White Magic. 

My recommendation for fixing this is switching the tier 2s with tier 1s, switching Protect/Shell with the far lesser used Reraise, and switching Doubt Faith with Pray Faith.  This allows the Calculator to boost itself if it wants to inflict more damage via Fire/etc., use of Reraise allows Priest to keep distinction with the more commonly used Protect/Shell, and the tier 1 innate magic is works well because it keeps the job controlled but also opens up combo potential between elements and Pray Faith.  I'd also toss Esuna in there to keep the 4-4-4-4 parity, since the fact it hits both teams lowers how much it obviates Priest drastically since a bad-status based team can't make good use of it, just as a positive-status based team can't make good use of Dispel.  Basically, keeps the Calculator with parity and having things for everyone, but makes only some of the Swiss Army Knife worthwhile based on your own team and forces you to think outside the box some to get the most bang for your buck, which is really the best way to balance out Math Skill personally.

I suppose thinking about it, I agree with everything here except for maybe Reraise, but guess there's not really anything else you could take from Priest if you already have Cure, Regen & Esuna as well.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Eternal

I can't say I really agree with Reraise. Reraise is pretty damn good, and there'd be no doubt that the player party would utilize it better than the AI would, so it wouldn't be much of a "drawback" if the enemy got hit with it. I'm good with Pray Faith if we decide to take the Tier II magic down to Tier I.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

The Damned

("I'll take that as a yes, Birdman", he said before just realizing he had a PM.)

I concur. However, a 4-3-4-4 parity is just...weird for those of us like Raven and myself who have pseudo-OCD when it comes to needing things to be "even".

Thinking about it a bit more, perhaps make it a 3-3-3-3 parity by getting rid of Poison, Don't Move and Blind Rage as well given those could also make matches with Math Skill rather silly or at least Blind Rage would--Don't Move might and Poison probably wouldn't.

That might make it Calculator too weak, though I doubt it consider they cast things instantly and don't need to be anywhere near the enemy to do so.

This reminds me: Asmo X, are you planning to leave the ENTD completely intact? I ask mostly because there's a disturbing amount of Knights everywhere in vanilla, even if that sort of makes sense for a pseudo-medieval society. That and I'm pretty sure a fifth of the classes--Mime, Calculator, Bard & Dancer--don't ever show up in-battle as enemies, even in random battles.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Eternal248 on August 01, 2011, 12:01:01 am
I can't say I really agree with Reraise. Reraise is pretty damn good, and there'd be no doubt that the player party would utilize it better than the AI would, so it wouldn't be much of a "drawback" if the enemy got hit with it.

The AI is almost always better with Math Skill than the player - they'll rarely deal with the "drawback" of hitting their enemies with Reraise.  If the entire field is getting Reraise, that's also far less powerful than you're inclined to think it is unless you hold back and kill all the enemies at once because /every/ team is getting Reraise.  Hell, even the Priest's Reraise spell is rarely used... hell, the only usable source of Reraise is usually an Item or Dragon Spirit.  Shouldn't that say something about Reraise if all the sources of it that consume an Action aren't worth using if it's as badass as you're scared-ness makes it out to be?

Asmo X

Hooooly fucking shit I have been busy lately. Good to see someone picked up the ball that I dropped. Just a couple of quick things I've noticed:

-Yeah the ENTDs should be different. There are boatloads of wizards, archers and knights everywhere. I'll see if I can find time to actually work on this.

-Beowulf might as well keep chicken. Not only is there only one of him, but he appears late in the story, removing one of the main issues with the calculator which is that you can grind for them early and steamroll the game. Is Drain still an issue? I thought there was a hack that capped the amount of damage it could do to lucavi.

-Generally speaking, there are loads of tiny changes here that don't strike me as "core" issues. Like the slight AOE on stigma magic and chakra. Yeah, they're good abilities, but it's not a huge deal. Similarly, I don't think Mustadio's skills need CT attached to them.

-Also, is weapon guard being innate to everyone not a thing that's going to happen now?

Eternal

Worked out some balance kinks with Asmo today. Things are progressing smoothly.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Pickle Girl Fanboy

August 09, 2011, 05:45:01 pm #47 Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:02:40 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
My patch is kind of like this.

If you have an ASM hacker handy, then maybe stat buffs (+Sp/PA/MA) should cost HP?

Dome

Any update/Eta on this patch?

Eternal

I've been working on and off on it lately. Most stuff is done except for ENTDs and item descriptions.

MysticKnightFF5

But if this patch actually does its job right, then why am I working on Orlandu?

EDIT: Why didn't anybody tell me about this?! >.> *cryface*

Dome

Quote from: Dunkelritter Luna on January 29, 2012, 07:28:46 pm
But if this patch actually does its job right, then why am I working on Orlandu?

EDIT: Why didn't anybody tell me about this?! >.> *cryface*

I tried to tell you about this patch many times, but you kept ignoring me

MysticKnightFF5

...Dome. Don't make me spank you.

Eternal

Two questions.

1) Should the Lucavi be Party Level or Party Level +5?
2) Should enemies be given +1 job level worth of JP?

Dome

My 2 cents
All enemies at Party level
"Bosses" (Like Lucavi monsters, or special enemy units) Party level +5
Monsters in randoms at party level +3 (Easier to grind)

Eternal

I'm not touching randoms. They're fine, IMO.

Dome

If everything is at party level - Random, grinding or just levelling will become a huge pain

Eternal

Nor do I want enemy monsters to be able to piledrive the party, either. Plus two levels just seems like it'd be a lot, especially early on.

Dome

February 04, 2012, 04:21:48 am #58 Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:16:04 am by Dome
That's what I did for FFT: Plus (Don't know if it could work for KO)
All Ch 1 randoms have 3 monsters only, set at party level
All Ch 2/3/4 randoms feature more monsters at party level +3

Why?
Because at the beginning of the game you usually suck, and randoms should allow you to train without much difficult
From Ch2 and onward you should have gathered enough abilities to beat more monsters (And efficiently grind, if you wish)

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Possible fix for Chakra: it reduces PA by 1 every use, but it now has a vertical of 1 or 2, and is allies-only.