• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:47:45 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

My/our Red Mage Sprite

Started by Kuraudo Sutoraifu, November 29, 2007, 10:14:48 pm

Kyari

February 22, 2008, 06:38:35 pm #100 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kyari
Quote from: "Kuraudo Sutoraifu"But having short charge learnable from Time Mage and Red Mage sounds silly and redundant and silly.

Is there no way to make it actually doublecast?  Maybe some study could be put into Rafa and Malak's abilities to see how they fire multiple times.

That's kind of like saying "having Cure and basic black magics on White Mage/Black Mage and Red Mage sounds silly and redundant and silly."

VincentCraven

February 24, 2008, 04:02:29 am #101 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Quote from: "karsten"having innate short charge on red mage is not broken at all. try and see... it's all up to the multipliers. lower the magic mults and the brokeness is gone.

also innate doesn't mean learnable, kuraudo.

Yep, like Mime has innate Martial Arts, but Monk isn't complaining.

And I'm not worried so much about Red Mage being 'broken' so much as what attributes Red Mage should really have.  Considering Red Mage only has the lower level skills in his skill set, Short Charge isn't terribly useful for him; however, it probably will be very useful for his secondary skillset (Summon?). Still, Short Charge makes the most sense on Red Mage.

Well, just to clarify, I think Short Charge on Red Mage is debatable.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

trickstardude7

February 24, 2008, 10:23:40 am #102 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by trickstardude7
But if this class contains weak spells, I don't see the problem

Xifanie

February 24, 2008, 10:59:26 am #103 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Short Charge hardly makes a difference early on.

And if he's stuck with basic spells, at least give em an advantage.

IMO Red Mage with Magic Attack Up should be weaker than a Black Mage & a bit strongerthan the White Mage.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Cheetah

February 24, 2008, 12:41:44 pm #104 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Personally I think the short charge thing can be something we discuss later on once we get more of the Red Mage's skills working and can thoroughly test them.

What I really want to see is getting double cast working. At first I thought it would be too overpowering but with some constraints I think it might work out.
1) Double Cast as an attack that only the Red Mage can do with certain spells and not a support skill that anyone can use. What I'm worried about is seeing Holy and Flare being double casted all day.
2) That if a spell is double casted it only effects one square/unit. Whether it is Fire or Fira, the spell with only hit one spot.
3) I like the idea of being able to use two different spells or target two different units with each spell, I just don't know how this would be implemented.
All these points are debatable and I think we should just start off with a badass Red Mage and slowly just implement these different things till we get to the point of equilibrium.

It would also be great if the spells you learned as a white and black mage carried over. So that if you had already learned Fira as a Black Mage it would already be learned as a Red Mage. And if you hadn't learned Raise as a White Mage then it would cost the same JP as a Red Mage and when you learned it there it would also be learned for the White Mage.

Also an idea for a support move could be something that raised the amount of available mp by 50% or 100%. It would be kind of pointless considering the support ability to cut the mp cost of in half, but maybe this skill would cost less JP or something.

Those are just my thoughts. I just want to see a really unique but balanced Red Mage put into action.
Current Projects:

Kyari

February 24, 2008, 02:45:42 pm #105 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kyari
Maybe as a compromise  to relearning spells (and being restricted to the weakest of the weak), remake spells so they only hit one panel (higher than mediocre but probably still not the top tier of spells)? That way you're still getting some practical use out of them, but not enough to break the game.

VincentCraven

February 24, 2008, 03:48:47 pm #106 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Cheetah,
If we ever do get Double Cast to work (don't count on it), I would only allow Red Magic to be double casted. Double Cast would probably end up replacing Math Skill, thus the 'spell book' would rely on skills learned as a Black/White Mage, limited to 'Red Magic' like Fire2, Raise, etc.

Considering the alternatives, I guess Red Mage can't really have a second support that makes him good. Are we using Red Mage as a special class? If not, I would think that his equip options and versatile skillset would be enough.

Though if Red Mage is going to be "a bit strongerthan the White Mage" with Magic Attack Up, he could use Short Charge. I'm just worried that we may overshadow White Mage. Btw, are we renaming Short Charge to "Fast Cast"?

karsten

February 25, 2008, 02:11:43 am #107 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
in my idea red mage's skill should be made so to be a good secondary...

Cheetah

February 28, 2008, 01:09:14 am #108 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I am getting so frustrated with these freaking portraits. I'm just having zero success so far. So then I try to work on the male Blue Mage and I'm hitting complete dead ends with that as well. So I was using this peice of art from the FF3 remake as a basis for my own portrait but decided to shrink it down and see how it would look in 16 colors. The one good thing about it is that it is by the same artist as all the other portraits I believe. It looks fine at a high resolution but it's flaws and roughness will probably really show up at the resolution the game is running at. But maybe people want to use it as a filler. I don't know I'm just trying to come up with something to show and discuss in the hopes that I will get some inspiration.
Current Projects:

karsten

February 28, 2008, 02:11:01 am #109 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "Cheetah"I am getting so frustrated with these freaking portraits. I'm just having zero success so far. So then I try to work on the male Blue Mage and I'm hitting complete dead ends with that as well. So I was using this peice of art from the FF3 remake as a basis for my own portrait but decided to shrink it down and see how it would look in 16 colors. The one good thing about it is that it is by the same artist as all the other portraits I believe. It looks fine at a high resolution but it's flaws and roughness will probably really show up at the resolution the game is running at. But maybe people want to use it as a filler. I don't know I'm just trying to come up with something to show and discuss in the hopes that I will get some inspiration.

why don't you try working from elmdor's sprite? just add a cap! :D

Sen

February 28, 2008, 04:36:28 am #110 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sen
Hey I based my drawing to FF3's red mage.
from this

I'm still practicing on it and making it unique :) It will be also good if it looks more like an FFT character.

Cheetah

February 28, 2008, 04:32:58 pm #111 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Okay with a bit of renewed vigor I took on the Red Mage portrait again. I also finally took Karsten's advice about basing something off of the Oracle, though I used his portrait instead of the actual sprite. The hat took a lot of work and I hate the angle. I'm also having trouble finding good red shades, I'm open to lots of suggestions in that department. I'm very happy with the white of the scarf, I got very stuck on that the last time I tried this. The hat still needs lots of work, but I have some good ideas. I posted my version with my attempt at the colors on the left and what I was editing from on the right so people could experiment with their own shades to help me out. Feedback/suggestions?

EDIT: Okay so I made some changes and this is where I am at now. I think it looks significantly better, plus this is actually in 16 colors.
Current Projects:

karsten

February 29, 2008, 02:11:49 am #112 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
i like the first one! :) good work, really

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

February 29, 2008, 12:44:10 pm #113 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Test1 look really great!

Austin

February 29, 2008, 04:46:33 pm #114 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
That looks great! It should fit quite nicely with the other portraits already in the game.

Cheetah

February 29, 2008, 05:01:57 pm #115 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Test1 does look good, I just kind of feel like it is kind of cheating and will likely look really out of place in game since it is art from a different game. For now I'm going to continue to work on making test3 look better and see what I can come up with. Looking at it now it is clear that the hat is far too small, especially since the art style is all about huge everythings. So I will see what I can do. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Current Projects:

Zozma

February 29, 2008, 08:47:26 pm #116 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
test 3 definately fits the game the best so far
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Sen

March 08, 2008, 08:46:31 am #117 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sen
I have now completed my Red Mage portrait!!

Is it good or not enough?

VincentCraven

March 08, 2008, 09:32:18 am #118 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Once you have changed the neckerchief to white, I probably will think it is fine. However, it does look a bit off.

Austin

March 08, 2008, 10:23:12 am #119 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
The hat looks like its made of plastic, but it looks pretty good otherwise. Could we still do anything with Cheetah's? It practically looked done.