• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:11:28 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

[MAP] Stair Case

Started by lirmont, May 29, 2011, 04:21:43 pm

lirmont

May 29, 2011, 04:21:43 pm Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:22:38 pm by lirmont
Attempt at a walkable staircase:

Download: Stair Case (16x16)

mav

That's pretty neat. The texture looks strange, but that's fine. I feel like anyone playing on this map would have to really be fond of adjusting the camera, or else they'd go insane.

Cheetah

Yeah, this really needs certain polygons to be invisible from certain angles to ever be playable. Interesting concept.

You might want to try making two towers with spiral stair cases around the outside. Then make them close enough that a character could jump from one to the other. But I'm not sure FFT maps can support more than two levels, so be careful.
Current Projects:

lirmont

May 29, 2011, 08:46:55 pm #3 Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:45:50 am by lirmont
It's not pretty, but the game engine does that already (on accident) to an extent.

This is what that accident looks like (where parts of the model physically leave the maximum viewing distance):

I don't think it would be terribly difficult to push it to do it on purpose in certain cases. In the meantime, don't forget the stereotypical "You can't see good no more" map available in every old RPG (see: FFT's Deep Dungeon). This could be seen as a take on that, and you can have multiple armies in Tethical. On this map, players with a disadvantageous position (the middle; the bottom) may get a marginal advantage that it takes a lot of work to find them on the map. On that note, imagine an army at each corner.

But anyway, this map and "Horse Shoe" are mostly just to pose questions about what Tethical (and Panda3d) can (and maybe "should") handle. In this particular case, I found out that, unless you have a contiguous path of some kind on the 3d X-Y-Z plane OR only one existing X-Y pair occurs in the 2d plane as the next square, you will never get to switch Z planes. In other words, there are 3+ levels on this map. You could not traverse from the bottom level to the top level with the cursor if the staircase in the middle did not exist AND those columns on the side did not exist (i.e. there are no squares there, so the next logical square is one on the top level). Food for thought.

Kivutar

This is a very interesting map because there is 3 levels.

QuoteYeah, this really needs certain polygons to be invisible from certain angles to ever be playable.

I believe this is the right way to go. We can tag some faces of this model with 'hide-on-nw', 'hide-on-ne', 'hide-on-sw' and 'hide-on-se'. Then Panda allows us to retrieve certain faces using an XPath like syntax, and maybe hide them when needed.

QuoteYou might want to try making two towers with spiral stair cases around the outside. Then make them close enough that a character could jump from one to the other.

Good idea. Unfortunately, Tethical does not support horizontal jumps for now (but it will).

QuoteBut I'm not sure FFT maps can support more than two levels, so be careful.

If you refer to Ganesha sources, FFT maps does not support more than 2 levels. But Tethical does.

QuoteIt's not pretty, but the game engine does that already (on accident) to an extent.
I don't think it would be terribly difficult to push it to do it on purpose in certain cases.

Yes, we could add in the json file some rules to fix the frustrum of the camera according to the size of the map. It would only work for square maps, not rectangles. Anyway, this is an ugly way to solve the problem.

QuoteBut anyway, this map and "Horse Shoe" are mostly just to pose questions about what Tethical (and Panda3d) can (and maybe "should") handle.

Yes, and it is of a real help. Thanks again.

QuoteIn this particular case, I found out that, unless you have a contiguous path of some kind on the 3d X-Y-Z plane OR only one existing X-Y pair occurs in the 2d plane as the next square, you will never get to switch Z planes. In other words, there are 3+ levels on this map. You could not traverse from the bottom level to the top level with the cursor if the staircase in the middle did not exist AND those columns on the side did not exist (i.e. there are no squares there, so the next logical square is one on the top level). Food for thought.

I thought about that when we switched from mouse driven tile choser to keyboard driven. I have to add a panda task that checks if there is other tiles with the same (x,y) but a different z, and switch to it.
Tethical, an online FFT clone