• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:54:49 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Staff Lock Up on Attack

Started by ShadowSkyle, June 03, 2012, 03:09:44 pm

ShadowSkyle

June 03, 2012, 03:09:44 pm Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:18:24 pm by ShadowSkyle
Alright, so not an hour into my initial playtest of my new mod, and I get a game crashing bug. Attacking with my Oak Staff locks up the game. (Tried on ePSXe and pSX emulators. Same result) The only thing I've edited about Oak Staff is that it can no longer be dual wielded. And just in case the attack is somehow tied in to abilities, I've edited the blank abilities 0165 - 016E under the abilities tab in FFTPatcher. ASMs being used are:

Random Unit Gear based on Story Progression
Jobs [3A,3B] use unit/wldface [08,09]
Weapon XA Rewrite (nothing edited, just selected for random formula)
Broken/Stolen Items Can Be Bought Back at Fur Shop
JP scroll glitch fix v1.2
No monster breeding
Soldier Office can rename any units (including humans and special characters)
Blade Grasp now only blocks weapons with ID W through W + X - 1 and weapons with ID Y through Y + Z - 1.
Secret Hunt ability isn't needed to enter Fur Shop
Removes permanent brave alteration. (Version 2.0)
Removes permanent faith alteration. (Version 2.0)
Instrument, Dictionary, and Cloth formulas become MA*WP
Cloth formula becomes... 'axe formula' (Note: Overrides changes done to Cloths in the "Instrument, Dictionary, and Cloth formulas become MA*WP" hack)

Update: Ruled out the possibility of it being related to 0165 - 016E. Returned them all to normal and the attack still locked up the game.

Update: Also ruled out that it has anything to do with dual wielding. Staff was returned to original specs and still did not work.

Update: Determined it is caused by an ASM hack. (Ran a clean ISO with only FFTPatcher changes. Attack worked fine. Locks up only when ASMs are applied) But I don't know which ASM it would be.

Update: Narrowed down to 2 ASMs...Time to find out which.

Update: Cloth formula becomes... 'axe formula' is the problem. Removed from my patch and all is well for now.

Glain

Well, if it freezes when you attack with a staff, the obvious guess would be that it's a hack related to the staff attack formula. As far as I can tell, from most to least likely to be the problem, without digging into anything yet:

Hacks that seem to affect staff attack formula (most likely):

Weapon XA Rewrite

Hacks somewhat related to a weapon attack:

Blade Grasp now only blocks weapons with ID W through W + X - 1 and weapons with ID Y through Y + Z - 1
Instrument, Dictionary, and Cloth formulas become MA*WP
Cloth formula becomes... 'axe formula'

Hacks that are tangentially related to battles:

Random Unit Gear based on Story Progression
Jobs [3A,3B] use unit/wldface [08,09]
Removes permanent brave alteration. (Version 2.0)
Removes permanent faith alteration. (Version 2.0)
Broken/Stolen Items Can Be Bought Back at Fur Shop

Hacks that don't seem to apply to battles (very unlikely):

JP scroll glitch fix v1.2
No monster breeding
Soldier Office can rename any units (including humans and special characters)
Secret Hunt ability isn't needed to enter Fur Shop

You could try not including some of the most likely hacks. If it seems difficult to figure out, you could upload a pSX savestate right before the attack happens and I might be able to reproduce the problem and try to figure out what's going on.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

ShadowSkyle

Thanks, Glain. Going to start by removing the Cloth Formula Becomes... 'Axe Formula'

Mainly because it's the only ASM I haven't used before.

Pride

You don't need the "Cloth formula becomes... 'axe formula' (Note: Overrides changes done to Cloths in the "Instrument, Dictionary, and Cloth formulas become MA*WP" hack)" since the XA rewrite allows you to change the weapon formulas for each weapon type. I'm not sure what version you're using (its either mine or FDC's) but you can change it if you applied with the most recent version of FFTorgASM
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Glain

Yeah, probably should have zeroed in on the fact that one of those hacks was overwriting part of another one... there might have been a conflict with the overwrite that caused the sum of the hacks not to work, as opposed to either one not working on its own.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RavenOfRazgriz

You should not be using the Weapon XA Rewrite, Instrument/Dictionary/Cloth becomes MA*WP, and Cloth becomes Axe formula hacks together.  They all write to the same general space and will conflict.  The Weapon XA Rewrite Spreadsheet allows you to simply set Instruments and Dictionaries to MA*WP and Cloths to the Random formula.

I recommend removing both the Cloth hack (which you did) and the Instrument/Dictionary/Cloth one and simply using the Weapon XA Rewrite to do everything to avoid all conflicts.