• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:14:04 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Bonus.bin objectives

Started by kafeix, November 07, 2010, 04:54:08 am

kafeix

Hey, I'm back again... it's Kafei, from a while ago. I can't seem to access my old account, something about a problem switching my password to the new database during a transfer or something. I dunno. Anyway, I'm back on this name for a while.

I've decided to do some more hacking, but I need some help. I'm trying to edit the bonus.bin mission objectives and I can't quite seem to get them to work in-game. I'm using an old version of ShiShi to extract the image files as GIFs, the only supported format. However, when I edit the GIF and reinsert it, it will display the proper changes to the image in a readable, but noticeably distorted format. For the record, I'm not changing anything on the palette, using new colors or anything like that. I'm merely editing the text to read differently (basically swapping some letters around).

I know FFT: Complete made changes to these so the names would match up with the PSP naming scheme... but there must be something I'm missing? Can anybody help? Also, for those that still aren't sure what I'm talking about, it relates to fixing the "Defeat Dycedarg's Elder Brother!" mistake.

Any help you guys could lend on the matter would be greatly appreciated. I tried poking around the forums to find an answer, but I only found a couple threads discussing it, and no actual procedures to go about it. I figure I must be doing something wrong, so I hope one of you can help me! Thanks in advance.

philsov

notably distorted as in "white, centered, and with a small shadow effect"?  Because I've run across the same thing.  

Bump!
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

kafeix

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like, philsov:

Mimi

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm using Shishi version .466.
Hopefully some people who worked on fixing it for Tactics Complete
can show us how to fix it. Please :-)

Cheetah

Bah, we had this same problem and then Melonhead fixed it. Unfortunately I don't know how he fixed it. I wish I could be more help, though I know editing them by hand with tilemolester is possible, that is a poor solution though. Really it is just a problem with the palette, so it is totally fixable.
Current Projects:

kafeix

Hm... Maybe the game requires the background the be a certain color, as with the regular character sprites? I wouldn't know where to even start with that one, though. Tilemolester ... I'm not sure what that is, but I'll give it a look; I only need to fix one of these at the moment.

Does Melonhead even come around here anymore? I haven't been here for a while, and even back when I was active, he was scarcely around... I'd like to ask him about this if he does still come around, though. Thanks though, Cheetah, I appreciate your input on this.  :)

Malkmus

Hi Kafeix!
you have another alternatives.
you can rename bonus.bin to .raw, open in corel draw or photoshop (suggest photoshop)
Width : 128 HEight: 7488
so then you save as... like .BMP 8bits.
so you Edited like you wanted, donĀ“t be rush about the no color...in the insertion method you will recovery it ;)

kafeix

Hmm... not the most user-friendly method of editing, that's for sure, but it does indeed work. I never thought to try hex editing to solve something like this, haha! Thanks for your help, Malkmus! Your tutorial was very helpful, and it's nice to see that even though it's your first post here, you're already helping us out a great deal. I suppose we can call this issue solved, since it solved my own personal problem, but... it may not be the easy solution everyone else is looking for.

I wish there was some sort of editor that could take care of this for us.

Anyway, big thanks to Malkmus, and thanks to everyone else who posted their comments. I really do appreciate it!

EDIT: Here's what it looks like after doing what he said to do (and some minor editing):

DonyaDarko

Is there any other program you can suggest for editing the raw image?
I don't have photoshop or corell draw. I only have paint shop pro and it doesn't work on it.

Kokojo

Tilemoslester works very nice.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Mimi

Here is a bmp of the bonus.bin file.
Click on the spoiler button. I hope this helps. :-)

[attachment=0:1rzfn4vr]bonusbin.bmp[/attachment:1rzfn4vr]

DonyaDarko

Thanks for posting that but I figured out how to open in psp.
thanks anyways.  :D

Xifanie

um, screw that.

Use TIMUTIL.EXE
convert the .TIM to .BMP (just copy the hex in the BONUS.BIN file to get the hex of the specific condition you want to edit)
edit the .BMP, save, convert back to .TIM with TIMUTIL.EXE
import

Done!
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful