• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:43:15 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Now Playing

Started by Cheetah, April 03, 2008, 09:31:33 am

Cheetah

I'm freaking loving Tactics Ogre on PSP. So many improvements and changes, the outdated sprites end up working really well. I definitely prefer to play in the zoomed out mode though. The difficulty is my favorite part so far. Because I essentially remember nothing of the gameplay I am just barely surviving most of the battles while not taking anytime to grind my characters. Plus being given the option to change the flow of battle depending on who is in the battle and who survives. So many story options. I thought that rewinding the battle 50 moves would feel super cheap, but in practice it is amazing and should be the new standard of tactical RPGs. Everyone on FFH should play this game.
Current Projects:

Eternal

Quote from: Cheetah on August 08, 2011, 02:44:38 pm
I'm freaking loving Tactics Ogre on PSP. So many improvements and changes, the outdated sprites end up working really well. I definitely prefer to play in the zoomed out mode though. The difficulty is my favorite part so far. Because I essentially remember nothing of the gameplay I am just barely surviving most of the battles while not taking anytime to grind my characters. Plus being given the option to change the flow of battle depending on who is in the battle and who survives. So many story options. I thought that rewinding the battle 50 moves would feel super cheap, but in practice it is amazing and should be the new standard of tactical RPGs. Everyone on FFH should play this game.

Quoted for truth.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

philsov

August 13, 2011, 10:29:35 am #982 Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:30:34 am by philsov
Soul Nomad and the World Eaters - PS2

A Nippon-Ichi attempt at a tactical RPG.  It plays out very similarly to Bahamut Lagoon (minus the pet dragons) or Ogre Battle.  Each platoon consists of 4-9 units (with about 10 platoons at endgame, all with 7+ units), within 3 different rows (front/mid/back).  Which row the unit it is decides which attack the unit performs -- an archer in mid will do a medium damage volley onto an entire enemy row, while an archer in the back will do a strong single attack.  The platoons move around in a square grid, and also gain various abilities pending on who the leader is to use if they don't wish to attack -- ability to heal themselves/others, all sorts of buffs and debuffs, and such.  If the leader dies the entire platoon is defeated.  

Awesome gameplay.  Characters are stupidly flanderized.  No eye-stabbing endgame grind that I wouldn't do anyways with an NIS game.  

Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Kaijyuu

I tried to like Soul Nomad. I really did. In fact, the story seemed like it was going awesome places; I just couldn't stand the gameplay.

There's no logical reason to have more than 1 squad (except for cannon fodder) since new recruits come at the same level as your hero. Thus, you don't want anyone except your hero's squad getting experience as it's a total waste. So, gameplay mostly consists of you running around one shotting every enemy squad with your main unit until they're all gone, while maybe throwing out some dummies to eat enemy attacks.
  • Modding version: PSX

Aquilae

I'm playing Der Langrisser for the first time (with a translation patch) and it's pretty great so far. My main gripe however would be the fact that it seems enemy units almost never attack on their phase, making battles needlessly long. I like the rest of the gameplay though.
:gay:

philsov

QuoteThere's no logical reason to have more than 1 squad

Stamina =\

I tried going in with an uber squad, but with all the counter attacks I had to deal with, my stam eventually got drained.  Once stam drops below 50% you start to suffer stat loss.  At final tally I had 5-ish main squads, with other squad slots with overview-focused leaders (mage or priest types) or highly specialized stuff like 7x Archer that were good for a round or two.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Cheetah

Well I'm making a steady pace through Tactics Ogre. I'm still continually amazing at the quality of story and gameplay of this. I will always love the job system of FFT better, but otherwise this stacks up very well. The fact that the story can change course and your team members can change so easily is incredible.

I also started back on Odin Sphere. A very unique and absolutely gorgeous action RPG for PS2. It is relatively difficult and I got stuck a few years ago while playing it and am now just getting back to it. I'm playing a lot better and I'm almost through the first storyline. I'm really enjoying the gameplay and the story even more. Good depth and nice presentation. I love that Atlus left in the original japanese voice work, I definitely greatly prefer it to the English.

I am also starting a video playthrough of the Parted Ways Beta. If you are curious you should just go watch the vids haha.
Current Projects:

RandMuadDib

Finally started playing 3rd Birthday, though i've had it almost since it came out. I find it very difficult, even on "Easy." Though that might be because i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the 'body jumping to find a better tactical position' thing. It would be a bit more friendly if the game paused while you were trying to decide who to jump into.

Also started Disgaea 3 back up, trying to get my characters uber so i can import them into Disgaea 4 when that comes out in september.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

ShinHadokenman

Ah 3rd birthday I was in love with that game when it came out just for the facet that Aya was in it. I didnt find the game to hard at least until I played on the hardest difficulty. I thought it was a good game sadly i beat it 9 times lol I needed to beat it one more time plus bp farm to get the pile bunker but genocide mode...just wow
  • Modding version: PSX

Kourama

August 20, 2011, 08:13:26 am #989 Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:52:04 pm by Kourama
Have been playing Resident Evil Mercs 3D and it is surprisingly fun. Hopefully soon I get my copy of Xenoblade and that will occupy my time.

Edit: Finally got Xenoblade Chronicles and it is one of the most amazing RPG's I have ever played. If you have a Wii you have to get this game.

Aquilae

I just finished Famicom Detective Club II for the SNES (with the English translation patch, of course) and I found it really awesome. It's sort of like Phoenix Wright, where you go around piecing together a case, but it's much more serious and dark. It's full of suspense, and gets rather touching at times, so I'd recommend you all try it out =P

Here's a review (+ screenshots):

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2010/12/07/famicom-detective-club-part-2-the-girl-in-back-review-super-famicom/
:gay:

st4rw4k3r

Did I hear 3rd birthday?
That is such a piece of crap game. I'm sad that it had anything to do with parasite eve.
There is nothing good about that game, and I kinda wish I never touched it.

GeneralStrife

downloading HAWX, hope its even slightly as good as the ace combats

Cheetah

I went insane over Jetpack Joyride for the past few days. It is a great little iPhone game where you fly vertically to dodge obstacles. It has a lot of variety, missions, and unlockables though that make it super addicting. The sprite work is quite nice as well.
Current Projects:

Cheetah

I am now through the storyline of the first three of five characters in Odin Sphere, about 20 hrs of gameplay. Still loving this game, and the story of the different characters. I also like that I'm finding new ways to build my characters more effeciently each playthrough. Maybe it will get repetitive by the fifth time through, but not yet.

I'm also just starting Chapter IV of Tactics Ogre. I am amazed that I am already 40 hrs into the game and I really having been building up my team level grinding or anything and just going through the story pretty quickly. Still an amazing game, I will probably spend a considerable amount of time going back through the different sections and changing up my team a bit once I finish the main story. I want to see this game combined with FFT's job system, I would be in heaven.

I have also been playing Dead Nation online coop with a friend over PSN. Good times. No iPhone games have captured my attention lately.
Current Projects:

RandMuadDib

Disgaea 4 for more hours than I care to admit 0_o
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Cheetah

I feel like I'm waiting to play the Disgaea series till I'm like 50 and the genera of Tactical RPGs no longer exists, and then to drown my sorrows I will spend the rest of my life playing this series in a couple hours spurts each week.
Current Projects:

Eternal

Cheetah: If you have a DS, play Radiant Historia. I command thee! :P
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Cheetah

Hmmm it is looking interesting Eternal.
Current Projects:

Dome

Atm I'm playing GhebFE: A hardtype hack for FE8 with a spoof script
I suggest everyone who likes FE and internet humor to try it :-)

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"