• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Newbie trying to change everything

Started by Touchet, September 11, 2014, 05:15:23 pm

Touchet

Hello Everyone!

I am very new to this whole modding thing and I really want to get into it. I am just finding it very difficult to know where to start. I know I should try new things, little by little until I am ready to make all of the changes I want to make. I've downloaded a few of the tools on this site but some of them I can't figure out where to start either. I don't know almost anything about ASM but I do have some knowledge of binary and hex. I know a few coding languages like C++ and Actionscript 3, and I have patched FFT with a few mods. I have some questions that if anyone could answer it would be a great help to get me started.

My main goal is to change everything about the game. I want new events, new dialogue, I want to change the classes around almost totally. I know some things are hard coded and can't be completely changed but I would like to work around this to make a fully new experience that is all my own.So far I've only changed a few sprites (which I know is super basic and easy with FFTPatcher). I am working with the PSX version of FFT. So, here are my questions.

1. Where do I begin? Which tools allow me to change the insides of the game, like adding events and dialogue. I know this is usually advanced stuff but I want to dive straight in and learn things the hard way.

2. What is the processes, from start to finish, on getting a mod out? I have a general idea of how I think it might work but I need to know which tools to use first. I would guess I need to extract a few files from the ISO/bin, edit those files using a coding language like ASM, then patch that original file. Which files do I need to work with and what programs do I use to work with them?

3. Can I change everything? I know there is very limited space for many things and some things are completely hard coded and impossible to change but I want to know how far-out my expectations are. Like I said, I want to remove or block the events of the game and add my own with my own dialogue and sprites. What am I limited to and is there more flexibility on the PSP version, FFT:WOTL?

4. What are some huge things I need to know before I get started with this? I know it will take me a very long time and dedication to get everything the way I'd like it (if it's even possible). I've read "the things I wish I knew when I first started" thread, but there wasn't much to help me in the actual modding process.

I know all of this sounds pretty noobish but that is what I am and I am just looking for a good starting point. I've seen how helpful the community is here and hope that someone might take the time to push me in the right direction. I have some big ideas and even if I don't get to do exactly what I want to do I know this will be a great learning experience for future mods and other games I might have ideas about.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has the patience to deal with me and my long-winded questions!

~Touchet

Jumza

1. You may want to start with the EasyVent Editor program for editing scenes and dialogue, however the instructions that control what goes on in these events recently had some new discoveries / modifications. So I'm not sure how you'd like to proceed, because the program that makes event editing really easy is currently not up to date.

2. There is a program for creating ppf files (which I bet you are familiar with if you've patched FFT with mods as you've said) but I can't recall the name. I bet you can just google it.

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

^Quoted from Xifanie's signature

There are EXTREMELY limited amounts of anything for the psp version. I don't suggest it if you have access to the ps1 ISO.

4. Uh, I'm not exactly sure. :P
You can always go on IRC (the mibbit button / PPJIRC button) and ask people for help if you run into anything. Or even make a new topic / reply to this one.

This doesn't exactly answer all your questions in full, but I hope it helps anyway.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Touchet

Thank you very much for your reply, Jumza. Seen some of your posts around here and I really appreciate your time. I will get that EasyVent Editor and start there. If you think of anything else that might help me let me know. At this point, any info is very helpful.

Choto

In regards to ASM, the more you do it --> the better and more knowledgable about the game you get --> the more advanced things you can do. Since you have some programming experience it should come a little bit easier. MIPS is the best assembly language i've programmed in, it's super simple once you know the ropes.

So with a little knowledge you'll be able to do hex edits, write formulas, make custom R/S/M. With a little more you'll be able to make custom mechanics, jump to free space to write custom code, make spreadsheet hacks, rewrite routines.

There are plenty of resources in the tutorials and help sections for learning ASM and you can always post on here if you're confused.

Kokojo

I would recommend that you first play some patches to see what's possible and what's been done.

Also, keep in mind Event editing alone is very very time consuming, even with the editing-on-save technique. In order to reach a quality work, you will have to spend a lot, and I do mean a LOT of time on your work.

But to get started, I would suggest you do a simple event by yourself, it could be about anything. Don't make it part of your patch, just try it out the ground and see what you can come up with.

Of course, the most important for event editing can now be found here  http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Event_Instructions
Reading them will give you a glimpse of what's possible.

I will encourage you to start slow and steady, and not to good for a too big project. I did, and I had to stop so many times because I felt discouraged and overwhelmed.

Oh, and I do encourage you to join the IRC. even thought we are not often active, we will usually try our best to awnser your questions and give you tips and stuff.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.