• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Does checking weapon range in FTTP prevent you from modifying the area?

Started by RavenCurow, March 28, 2018, 09:39:45 am

RavenCurow

Basically I'm trying to make some new archer skills. I would like to tie them to weapon range so that they scale with height like a normal attack. Unfortunately when I went to test them I found that my AOE skills were single target only. I'm assuming this is because setting an ability to weapon range means that in order for the ability to have an AOE effect the weapon must be AOE as well. Is there any way around this or am I stuck choosing between having it tied to weapon range and being able to modify the radius?
  • Modding version: PSX
Ramza: Delita, your hurt?
Delita: No, really? Did you think I was taking a nap down here?

Xifanie

To my knowledge/poor memory, it hasn't been done... I tried looking a bit at the code and I just can't figure out for the life of me how to make it retain the Ability AoE and vertical tolerance.

I know the subject came up in the past at least, but I can't find the other topics. ¯\(°_o)/¯
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Nyzer

The best workaround would probably be to use ASM to tie the ability to "Requires Bow" and just set it to a range of 5. It's not going to be as perfect, but it'll at least give an archer-specific AoE at a basic archer range.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RavenCurow

That's too bad, but I guess I'll have to work with it. Probably won't be the last time I run into something like that lol. Something else I've run into after changing the aoe ability to not use weapon range is that the effect animation I've chosen only shows up for one enemy as well as the damage.

The other enemies in range still take damage but the effect doesn't play for them. I'm wondering if it is because I used the repeating fist animation since that ability normally isn't aoe. Would suck if I can't use that cause it's one of the few effects that can make an attack look like multiple hits. Basically I'm trying to make an arrow rain type ability.

Nyzer

I put together a chart for that sort of thing while I was designing Jot5 skills. Repeating Fist, indeed, is not one of the ones that will appear properly.

RavenCurow

Bookmarked. Thank you Nyzer, that thread is very helpful. Oh well I guess I'll have to find another animation or just leave it as a generic weapon strike. Idk. However, after looking at some of the videos I'd forgotten how crazy some of the animations are for abilities you wouldn't think would have them. Like Blind 2 and Toad 2 are just wow for what they do lol.

Nyzer

I think I also read of a tool that can allow the sort of alteration that sets those animations up to repeat properly? I'm pretty sure one of the Jot5 animations has been altered like that. Could be wrong though.

RavenCurow

That would be nice. Ill dig around in the Jot5 forums and see if I can find anything.

Xifanie

Choto made a tool to edit effects (to some extent), and it supposedly allows converting single target effects to multi-targets, but he never explained how. I know he has converted a bunch himself, and several were used for JotF, but I forgot where he posted them.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful