• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:48:57 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Official Sprite Contest: Alma Gets a Job

Started by Cheetah, July 04, 2011, 02:13:49 pm

Cheetah

July 04, 2011, 02:13:49 pm Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 01:15:10 pm by Cheetah
Alma Gets a Job:

One of the most popular FFT spriting endeavors is to put Ramza's head on a different sprites body. Following in this tradition it is time to give Alma a bit more attention and give her a real job. Take Alma's standard head and find her a new body. One of the standard FFT female jobs is perfectly acceptable or she can have any other kind of job. Making Alma a standard chemist could be amusing or she could be an Assassin from Assassin's Creed, creativity is key. Making alterations to Alma's head such as giving her a crown or some sunglasses is also perfectly acceptable. Additional guidelines and submission format can be found under the Submission Requirements header.

This is a beginner's level spriting competition and even if you have no spriting experience this is a great chance to give it a try. Feel free to post multiple versions of the same entry to get feedback and improve upon it, just insure that the final version meets all Submission Requirements.

Submissions are due by midnight of the 20th of July. On the 21st all entries will be organized and a public voting poll will be opened for every community member to cast a vote. The poll will have a clearly indicated end time of the 24th to celebrate Alma's Birthday. The poll will be blinded and all users are allowed one vote, please respect the voting process.

Exact awards for the top three entrants are still in development. Expect at minimum some kind of permanent recognition for your accomplishments. Do not expect a particularly tangible award, such as something you would receive by mail.

Submission Requirements:
1) A minimum of 1 front diagonal frame.
2) A job title for Alma to go with the sprite.
3) Cite all sources used including the name of the source sprite and the original artist. Reference "SQUARE" for all original FFT sprites.
4) 100% Zoom in either BMP or PNG format.
5) Post your submission in this thread and it will be officially entered.
6) Loosely follow the general FFT style such as dimensions and palette choice. However, submissions are NOT limited to 16 colors.
7) Submissions need to follow the general competition topic and as such should be at least theoretically recognizable as Alma.
8) Follow general forum rules, such as no nudity.
9) There is NO limit on the number of entries per member as long as they are significantly distinct.
10) If there are multiple valid versions of the same submission posted in the thread, the latest version will be considered the competition version.

Judging Criteria:
1) Creativity: This covers both the job idea and the physical design of the sprite. Find original, intelligent, and witty ways to follow the general theme of the contest.
2) Artistic Ability: The more original elements incorporated into the sprite the better. However, make sure to balance this with the visual quality of the sprite. General pixel art ability, design, and palette choice are important here.
3) Valid Submission: There are clear expectations for submission, please try your best to follow them.

Important Dates:
Opening of Competition: 7/4
Submissions Due: Midnight 7/20
Voting Begins: 7/21
Winners Announced: 7/24 Alma's Birthday

Submission Examples (Ramza as model):

Minimal Submission: Simple Headswap. A submission of this quality will likely not fair well. However, a creative job title or a slick palette change here could help.

Job Title: Evil Squire
Sources: Ramza Ch1 (SQUARE), Delita Ch1 (SQUARE)

Average Submission: Headswap with added elements from other sprites and palette. With this mix of elements the sprite should still be relatively quick and easy to put together, but should also allow for a lot creativity and gives people an opportunity to show off their skills. Note that this rating is based on being all original work, this example sprite is the work of Vanya.

Job Title: Defender
Sources: Ramza CH2&3 (SQUARE), Zalbag (SQUARE)

Superior Submission: Using pieces from lots of different sprites or custom elements and palette. Really show off your mad skills. Note that this rating is based on being all original work, this example sprite is the work of Kagebunji and Cheetah.

Job Title: Hunter
Sources: Ramza Ch1 (SQUARE), Male Archer (SQUARE), Male Knight (SQUARE)

Current Projects:

Eternal

Already working on my submission! ...it's terrible so far though, lol.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

st4rw4k3r

Eternal

July 04, 2011, 05:20:47 pm #3 Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:21:51 am by Eternal248
Whoo, Almabot 9001! Will add some backstory later. :P

Credit: ALMA (Square), WORKER 8 (Square)

Alma has decided that she is unhappy with her fleshly body and has decided to undergo a Magitek infusion and has become ALMABOT 9001!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Astral

That may be, but the mental image of Velius/Belias rifling through a panty drawer like a dirty old man set to this music is too hilarious.

Cheetah

First official entry! Feel free to continue to refine it, just remember to give a job title and citations at some point as well.
Current Projects:

Kagebunji

After something like two hours of work during the night, I finished my first entry!

"Are you stressed because of work, your relationship, or family problems? Try... Alma lap dance!
Alma lap dance improves the quality of your libido significantly.
Scientists have proven that your libido will be 60% more effective than it once was!"

"Call now, the offer won't last forever!(unless you vote for her, yay)"

In other words, Alma as a Dancer in a special red palette of her own and a custom made cloth, also made her uncover one leg for more sexiness. Base body was Smash's remade Dancer. Also threw in Ramza that is shocked, he should have predicted it after changing her class to Dancer, silly Ramza...

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

st4rw4k3r

July 04, 2011, 07:46:54 pm #7 Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:25:44 pm by st4rw4k3r
Job Title: Malmboro (thank you Mando for the name)
Sources: Malboro (Square), Alma(battle) (Square)

Enjoy!

Cheetah

@Kage: That is a damn fine looking sprite. The cloth is particularly impressive given how custom it is.
@St4r: Yeah so I would have never thought of this idea ever, I kind of like it.
Current Projects:

mav

pokeytax

This is amazing. My dream patch has Alma and a Mascot job so I would legitimately use one of these already.
  • Modding version: PSX

FFMaster

July 04, 2011, 11:20:23 pm #11 Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:34:28 pm by FFMaster
Probably the best I can do. That stupid freehand cape...

Job Title: Thunder Goddess Alma
Sources: Alma(Battle) (Square), Orlandu (Square), Lede (Square)

☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Mando

July 04, 2011, 11:37:07 pm #12 Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:37:30 pm by Mando
Malmboro is by far my favorite so far.

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!

Cheetah

@FFMaster: Maybe you should loose the hood. There are lots of custom sprites that have it removed that might make the whole thing easier. The palette is looking decent but needs a little refinement.

@St4r: Your Catma Sith needs a bit of work, what is happening above her head?
Current Projects:

st4rw4k3r

I gave to cat guy on top a arm. and I made Alma's head smaller, and eyes bigger, so it looks as though it is looking at you. Its also kinda very blurry.

Kagebunji

July 05, 2011, 05:05:28 am #15 Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:37:54 am by Kagebunji
You will get Alma suffocated on that portrait, GS, haha.

Star, don't post blurry pictures please, I cannot see details clearly on that thing above Almacat. I wonder what people are thinking of when combining Alma with monsters, hehe.

FFM, the hood shouldn't be visible like that. We are looking at her from an angle, not from front. Just erase the hood completely like mentioned earlier and paste over only her head. And yeah, try to mess with palette.

st4rw4k3r

I'll deleted my cait sith. I shall work on the blurry tomorrow. Must sleep right now.

CONMAN

As a troubled teen young Alma turned to food to satisfy an emotional hole. When she compared herself to her beautiful friend the princess, she felt motivated to make a change.  Like most spoiled nobles changing herself through diet and exercise wasn't a quick enough fix.  Why not just pay for my surgery daddy?

Presenting failed-lapband-surgery-alma-barbie!
  • Modding version: PSX

Kagebunji

Base idea is great, but you could do something to make her more human, mainly the arms, they are monster's, whoa.

Kagebunji

Small update on Dancer Alma, made her actually hold the cloth, earlier it looked weird.