• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:51:41 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFT: Complete Main Info thread

Started by Cheetah, April 07, 2009, 11:52:40 pm

Cheetah

April 07, 2009, 11:52:40 pm Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:29:14 pm by Cheetah
Project Description: FFT Complete is meant to take all the best parts of each version of the game and combine them into the original PSX version. Including the script from the PSP port, the missing bits from the Japanese version, and getting rid of all those nasty bugs and cheap cheats along the way. I don't think this should turn into FFT v1.4 or something. The core gameplay should basically all stay exactly the same. Then if people want to really change game mechanics, story, or difficulty they can just base their build off of this. Inserting the new script should be relatively painless and is all established knowledge, it just takes time. With Melonhead's new amazing FFT Text editor all the text everywhere else in the game is also very easy to edit. Getting the story books to work will be much tougher, but should be possible given that the japanese PSX version has them in there working. Bugs/glitch fixing already already been done for many of the games issues, but will require experienced hackers on board. If some dedicated people got on board with this project, I honestly believe it could be finished quite rapidly.

Goals:
1) To insert the psp script into the psx version for starters. Voldemort mentioned getting all the new content in there, but I think that is perhaps to grandiose at this point.
1.5) Getting a majority of the name changes for skills, descriptions, and backstories also in line with the WotL translation. Or at the very least establish concrete choices between the two versions.
2) Get the story books that were removed in the US version of the game working and translated. Some real hacking skills would be needed to do this, but should be possible and would open up a new area of hacking for other projects.
3) Bug/glitch fixes. What would be considered bugs and which should be left in I think would be needed to be decided by the team who takes this on. But stuff like dublicating weapons and learning all the skills from a skill crystals.
4) If this project is done I would think it should be about making the perfect/complete version of the original FFT to create a good gold standard of FFT and be a great base for other patches to work off of.
5) Other excluded material from the Japanese original. Such as the music test and the formation screen character quotes.
6) If you think there should be more changes do share. Because I know I didn't think of all of it.

Video Previews:
- Script Preview 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnAfWLgOBpc
- Script Preview 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG5pLPFZYXo
- Script Preview 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pj3FpUuFbQ
- Script Preview 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6GJlovHFAU
- Script Preview 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdXxm-zortI
- Japanese Book Preview Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG03EcJCCdk
- Japanese Book Preview Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFaAbsPQAPo
- Books working in US version!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHXIBCFXb9k
- New Intro Movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmcRswZQJyA
- Japanese Music Test Preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k8xiZ1TF30

Staff:
-Event Editor/Lead: Cheetah
-Text Editor: Dominic NY18
-Hacker Extraordinaire: Melonhead
-Translator: Heian
-Spell Quotes: Eternal
-Graphic Editor: Vanya
-Tester: FFMaster
-Tester: PX_Timefordeath

-And I'm definitely looking for help

Help Need:
-Testers: Play through this initial patch and tell me what is wrong. I have time to insert the text but not test it so I will never find a mistake unless people tell me about it. Screen shots and direct quotes are a must. If you can be comparing this to the PSP version you get bonus points.

-Text Editor: I'm not sure about the state of the beta Text Inserter by Melonhead, but using it the next phase will be inserting all the PSP's text into the PSX version. So if anyone wants to take this on that would be great. Position filled by Dominic_NY18

-ASM Hacker: You will need someone to do real hacking to do bug fixes, and I believe ASM hacking is the way to do that. Obviously you will need someone experienced for this.

-Master Hacker: Getting the story books working is going to take some real hacking skills with in depth knowledge of FFT. I would recommend some really thorough analysis of the differences between the US and JAP versions of the games. Task completed by Cheetah

-Translator: I don't believe there is a very good translations all the story books anywhere. So if they do get working, you are going to need someone to translate them.

Version History:

v.20
-Script: Through Chapter 2 inserted.
-Text: Job Descriptions, Job Names, Item Descriptions,Item Names, Skillset Names, Skillset Descriptions, Ability Names,Ability Descriptions,Job Requirements, Ability Quotes, Some Help Text
V.11
-Script: All of Chapter 1 inserted.
-Fixes: Corrected one line of text.
V.10
-Script: All of Chapter 1 inserted.
V.02
-Script: Now inserted up through the Reed Whistle scene with Ramza and Delita. Balbanes's death also also been correctly inserted.
-Hacks: Hopefully by editing the games font in three different files the random kanji problem should be fixed.
V.01
-PSP Script inserted up through Dorter 1.
Current Projects:

FFMaster

April 08, 2009, 12:04:28 am #1 Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:22:27 am by FFMaster

This is during just before the Gariland battle.

EDIT: another one
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

jimmyjw88

April 08, 2009, 12:18:13 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Ah....a combination of patches?
Hmm...interesting.
So is there going to be new events, like maybe from PSP version?
Also, are there any jobs or skills changes? Or is it everything back to the original?
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Kaijyuu

April 08, 2009, 12:37:35 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
My first thought was that I really didn't like the psp translation, but then I remembered the psx one was just as bad.

A suggestion would be to make a seperate "psp translation" patch so people don't have to go through this if they want the psp translation in their psx hack.
  • Modding version: PSX

Cheetah

April 08, 2009, 12:54:50 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Quote from: "Kaijyuu"My first thought was that I really didn't like the psp translation, but then I remembered the psx one was just as bad.

A suggestion would be to make a seperate "psp translation" patch so people don't have to go through this if they want the psp translation in their psx hack.

That is the general idea Kaijyuu. So that is can become a base for other projects to work off of.
Current Projects:

FFMaster

April 08, 2009, 01:32:38 am #5 Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:30:18 pm by FFMaster
Lots of similar errors, but I'll post them anyway.

After Mandalia Plains battle

All of these are during the first visit to Igros/Eagrose

First meeting with Zalbag/Zalbaag, Teta/Tietra and Alma.

EDIT:

The PSP script doesn't appear for the event after the Dorter battle, if you editted the script for that event.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Archael

April 08, 2009, 02:21:22 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
now this is what a real project thread looks like

good job

Kaijyuu

April 08, 2009, 02:40:03 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quote from: "Cheetah"That is the general idea Kaijyuu. So that is can become a base for other projects to work off of.
Indeed. Looking over you goals, though, I think you should make separate patches for the big changes.
Some things everyone would want, like fixing weapon duping, the JP scroll glitch, and reactivating the books. But, for example, I personally like learning all skills from a crystal and guests being AI controlled.

Something like a giant meta-patch, and a listing of smaller ones for people to pick and choose features for their particular hack's needs.
  • Modding version: PSX

Dominic NY18

April 08, 2009, 09:02:14 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
You already know what I'm going to say...

I've got a bunch of PSX-to-PSP text edits for the menus, abilities, and equipment, as well as for the Germonik Scriptures. And Spring Break has started for me. So you know I'm up for helping with the text edits, at least. And the testing as well.

And yeah, I've run into errors similar to the ones FFMaster is showing up above when doing name edits for some job and monster classes. It's definitely something that needs to be looked into.

Cheetah

April 08, 2009, 12:15:39 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
FFMaster: I think the scene at the end of Dorter is it's own separate event so I haven't gotten to it yet.

Kaijyuu: Sounds like a pretty good idea. I think the work will mostly be done in phases and each part implemented separately, so it will make sense to release them on their own for testing and have final releases of just specific changes.

Dominic: Excellent to hear Dominic. I would say just keep doing what you are doing for now and we can work on getting our individual parts done and working smoothly before combining them. Start posting what errors you are getting in your text edits though. I'm going to take a look at this today and see if things can be fixed easily by editing the font itself.
Current Projects:

Cheetah

April 08, 2009, 01:28:48 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Big Favor: If someone could look through the Font section of FFTPatcher and tell me what number matches up with the Kanji that is showing up in all those errors FFMaster posted I would be grateful. I just went through all 83C of them in hex and didn't find it and my eyes need a break. If it helps any it is known as {DA68} in dialog, but I haven't found how that relates to the numbers assigned in FFTPatcher. Make sure you are looking in the PSX version.
Current Projects:

Skip Sandwich

April 08, 2009, 01:43:12 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
I just checked, its character 888
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Cheetah

April 08, 2009, 01:56:46 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
You rock Skip, thanks. I have no idea how I missed that.

Additional Favor: If someone can take screen shots of PSP, and can get a pic of one of these errors looking correct that would be great. But don't go to too much trouble.
Current Projects:

Dominic NY18

April 08, 2009, 03:14:03 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
I can post the PSP version of all but the 2nd screenshot FFMaster posted once I get home today.

Cheetah

April 08, 2009, 03:32:46 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Don't worry Dominic, I have it figured out. Thanks though. Oh and I think I made major progress on this today with Melonhead though so I will have a new version out later today with a few more events and that kanji fixed.

Make sure to post pics of the glitches you are getting Dominic with the text editor because I hope to fix all this stuff at once.
Current Projects:

KazeKasano

April 08, 2009, 04:17:08 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
I'm really not good enough to help with this, but I'll definitely play it when I get the chance. This is what I've been waiting for!

Also, is there a chance that Balthier will be included? I rather enjoyed the idea (I don't own a PSP), though the addition of Luso was a bit of a fiasco in my opinion.
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.
This sleeping city doesn't know what's coming. She doesn't feel the heat.
Even when the darkness surrounds us, we shall light up the night.

VincentCraven

April 08, 2009, 04:19:52 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
If you ever get the story books unlocked, I'd be willing to try translating the books.  I certainly am not fluent in Japanese, but I know enough basic grammar to be able to figure out most stuff by just looking up vocab/kanji.

I'm not really skilled at real hacking, and I don't have the PSP version, so I don't know if there is anything else I can do other than test or debate what constitutes a bug/glitch.  But this is a good project nonetheless.  

One thing I don't agree with is making guests controllable, but it's a simple matter of toggling a few bytes here and there so I'm not going to make a big fuss over it.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Cheetah

April 08, 2009, 06:30:30 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Really, people don't want guests controllable? Why is that, I'm not stuck to the idea either way so I'm up for some debate?
Current Projects:

Skip Sandwich

April 08, 2009, 06:40:59 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
I agree with VincentCraven, having guest units be controlable really makes no sense, they aren't people who are under Ramza's orders (not until they officially join), they are just people who have, for whatever reason, agreed to travel with Ramza and Co., and help out when needed.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Archael

April 08, 2009, 06:52:29 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
I disagree with Guests being controllable. I will explain why.

1) Guests have a special label on them for a reason. They are different from normal units.

2) Guests act as if they have their own motivations. The only reason they are with Ramza is to further their own personal goals.

3) Guests do not participate in Random Battles and only show up in the Storyline battles related to them.

4) An AI unit on your side helping you definitely gives Guest-related battles a distinct "feel". Having an AI unit on your side
contributes to an atmosphere of unpredictability, and is definitely an interesting perk of FFT.

5) Rescuing a "Guest" which you can control will totally ruin the immersion, challenge, and fun of rescue X Guest battles.

6) Guests are run by the AI, and Chapter 1 and 2 is full of Guest battles. Having Guests on your team more or less shows the player the ropes of the game. This goes for Original FFT and patched versions as well.

7) Controllable Guests wouldn't be Guests anymore. They'd be Generics which leave or join the party permanently, eventually. If you can control and raise them as you see fit, then they lose 100% of their "I'm just with Ramza's party because I want to accomplish X" personality and character.

8) Non-Controllable Guests definitely contribute to the "storyline" feel of some battles. See Delita vs Algus in Fort Zeakden or Beowulf during the Colliery quests or something as simple as Rescue Boco, Rescue Olan, Rescue Mustadio! Controllable Guest would ruin all those battles.