• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:29:47 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

glitched sprites?

Started by finalfantasyseven7, February 06, 2014, 01:47:39 am

finalfantasyseven7

hello everyone,i am working on a mod for fft that only changes npcs jobs and default items.
in the first battle(orbonne) i replaced the knight with a summoner and the others with ninjas and set their equipment and abilities,removing alicia and lavian,rads sprite is green and orange(glitched?)
also i noticed when you set a npcs skill to punch art or sword skill they never use them?
can anyone help?

3lric

You cannot have more than 9 unique sprites on screen at once. Which is
Why most battles have several of the same units
  • Modding version: PSX

finalfantasyseven7

what counts as a unique sprite? i was only using base jobs not special ones?
and i wasnt adding units i was simply changing there default job.

3lric

EVERY sprite counts. You can only have 9 different sprites total. You can have duplicates of the same sprite though.

Timbo

What about Palettes? Can I have 8 random sprites and 2 Knight sprites with different palettes?
  • Discord username: Timbo

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: finalfantasyseven7 on February 11, 2014, 03:03:14 pm
what counts as a unique sprite? i was only using base jobs not special ones?
and i wasnt adding units i was simply changing there default job.

Sprites are what each unit looks like visually.  Each unit with a different visual look in turn takes up 1 Sprite slot.  If you have 5 units with the same look by force but different Jobs, they only count as 1 Sprite, but if you make everyone in a battle with the same Job (ie everyone is a Holy Knight) but they do not all look the same (ie one looks like Agrias, one looks like Ramza, one looks like Delita, one looks like a generic Male Knight), they would all count as unique Sprites - in the example I gave, they would count as 4 unique sprites.  This is why most enemy formations only contain 4 visually different enemies at maximum, 3 when the player has at least 1 Guest character, and why the player formation is reduced from Ramza + 4 to Ramza + 3 when 2 Guest characters are in play.  As Elric said, you can only have 9 Sprites in play total before it starts glitching.

Sprites of a different palette (ie the Hokuten Generic Male Knight and the Death Corps Generic Male Knight) only count as 1 Sprite because they are both pulled from the same file loaded by the game, merely looking for different palette information.

Timbo

There is a palette limit too, is there not?
  • Discord username: Timbo

Xifanie

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Jumza

Feel free to make your unit's come alive with the vibrancy of a rainbow :o There is no palette limit.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

finalfantasyseven7

thanks guys that helped alot,now about abilities,i modded the npcs skillset so they can have all their job abilities but monks,lancers and geomancers and samurais never use their skillset?

Jumza

Maybe check those units as control to see if they actually have the skills or not, you can also increase the level of the unit's job in the ENTD, if you set it too low they might not learn the right abilities.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

finalfantasyseven7

how weird,i made a geomancer and gave him the ability set that has all the skills unlocked then gave him any ground and his menu appears in battle but its greyed out

Jumza

Wait, is his skillset not the original Geomancy? Geomancer skills don't work outside of the original Geomancer skillset unless you change it under the Action Menu's tab.

finalfantasyseven7

the skillset corresponds to the correct job,what action menu??