• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:41:39 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Grim Grimoire (Latest version: Beta 0.993)

Started by Eternal, June 23, 2013, 07:50:32 pm

Eternal

Good news, everybody! I've fixed more bugs! :D

All the Mediator/Reaver bugs were fixed. There were a few equipment/sprite bugs that slipped through and that's what was causing those issues.

@Blanky: Since all Accessories are Rings now, I guess I could make all Shields into Gloves, but that'd mess with Shieldbearer. So sadness. :(

@Ghostly: Welcome to FFH, I'm glad you're enjoying the mod! .993 will actually have reflected job tree information in-game in the Rumors section of the Pub, with any hope. Don't quote me, but it will be in-game soon!

EDIT: Also, Engagement is on Summoner, so Staves are perfectly fine for it!

EDITRA: The first post has been updated with an updated, accurate job tree. 0.993 also has updated job requirements in their descriptions.

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Qavex

Recently stumbled across this. I love the hack so far, but I've a couple balance-related comments.

Firstly: As a guy who loves to re-class the starting clan members immediately, money is ungodly tight at the start of the game. I'd rather not change that, but I have two ideas to ease up on the wallet just a little.
1) How about a Tier 0 set of equipment? They would consist exclusively of the most basic equips for the starting classes. Shortsword, Jack Knife, Stinger, White Staff, Rod, Longbow, Demon Bell (or Glass Bell?), Hard Knuckles; Cuirass, Leather Garb, and Hempen Robe. Nothing else. The Tier 0 weapons cost 800gp instead of 1350gp; the armors cost 1000gp instead of 1500gp. Tier 1 unlocks after the first mission, or is available from the start if you want. It really shouldn't make a difference.
2) Alternatively, just bump starting gold from 1000 to 1500. This would have the same effect before the 1st mission and less impact on the game afterwards.
Both of these should allow unit customization before the first mission. The player, if they choose to do so, can sell all their consumable items and a couple equips to just barely buy 2 items (after paying for the first mission).

Secondly: How many phoenix downs and potions are enemies with the item command supposed to carry? In a skirmish with Clan Marble (I think? They were low level guys headed by a fencer), the soldier used 3 phoenix downs and 5-6 potions. I literally could not out-damage his hasted item spam. Are we, the players, supposed to be able to use items that liberally? If not, they need to be toned down a little. If yes, money's a bit tight for that, you see.

Lastly: A couple of general questions/concerns.
Are missions level scaled?
Are enemy clans level scaled?
Are we supposed to be able to handle the random fights when they first start appearing?
Is grinding for AP going to be a thing ever? New members need to get up to speed somehow.

Criticisms aside, this is a great hack even in its "unfinished" state. I look forward to seeing the final result and will occasionally be around to give more comments like this (and bugs too, if I run into them).

Eternal

Welcome to FFH, Qavex! I'm thankful for your feedback, and glad to hear you're enjoying the game! Allow me to address your concerns.

First, I was considering bumping starting Gil back up to 3000, but I'm not sure if that would make things too easy. I- like yourself- also like switching jobs around early game and want people to have that option.

Second, enemies have an infinite amount of each item. Unfortunately, I can't really do anything about this. That's just how they were, even back in vanilla (though enemies didn't use items then).

Thirdly, enemy levels scale with the average level of the party. This goes for every mission and every enemy in the game. Most battles can be attempted upon unlocking, save for the random battle with Clan Dip. They're an early fight meant to test your mettle, though it's not easy to win until late-game, since enemies in Clan Dip have late-game setups and skills.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

CrowBlack

Hello, i am kinda new to this site, and first of all I LOVE THE HACK, but it seems my monk whirlwind got 2 range, which is not listed in your first post, is this a mistake, or maybe i read your post wrong? ( i used it on the early mission against 2 bombs in a line , the position was

----------
B| B| M
---------

B=Bomb
M=White Monk

ADDITION
you didn't mention about reduced MP for the blizzard, also in the conversation ( early game ) they mention the old names such as combo etc. instead of your renamed one.

More Addition
What is Mythril blade is supposed to teach? the image is very distorted/looks like a failed gameshark
BTW did i mention that most item teach dragonheart Reaction for dragon(including circlet, shamshir, hemphen robe etc.)
And if you could, please lower the mythril rod Weapon damage, because now my black mage got the highest attack, which is very funny, because, my monk, soldier, and archer only deal half the damage
Pardon any mistake or rudeness, english is not my firts language

Eternal

Welcome to FFH, CrowBlack! Glad to hear you're enjoying the mod!

The first, original post is highly outdated except for the job tree. Using the tooltips and such in-game are your best option. So yes, Whirlwind has extra AoE and Blizzard has a reduced MP cost. I can't change in-game dialogue yet, so talk of Combos will have to remain for now.

Mythril Blade and Dragonheart are known bugs. Mythril Rod is a new one though! I'll review it and adjust it as needed.

EDIT: Mythril Blade is fixed!

CrowBlack

I also got another bug in AI reaction, the AI hit me with healing staff , and so my unit health increased, if you could, please make the healing weapon only used to heal the friend

Eternal

I sadly can't edit things like that. The AI is just really derpy sometimes. :(

EDIT: Should Lullaby be moved to a later item for Bards? It's something I'm considering.

DragoonTT

Quote from: Eternal on March 25, 2015, 08:18:05 pm
I sadly can't edit things like that. The AI is just really derpy sometimes. :(

EDIT: Should Lullaby be moved to a later item for Bards? It's something I'm considering.

Provided you want to up the enemy levels again, you'd have to cut reviving spells/abilities from a few fights that way. If I remember correctly, Lullaby is the only early control ability. Not having access could make certain fights with multiple reviving enemies (not too uncommon) somewhere between stupidly annoying and unwinnably difficult once you lose a member yourself. If you keep the current leveling curve, moving Lullaby could work. Keep in mind that it's pretty much the only ability that makes Moogles remotely useful in the early game, since Moogle Mages are terrible (removal of Geomancy cripples Moogle Black Mages, Nou Mou and Humans get Magic Power + and Double MP to cope) and Thieves aren't terribly useful until you get access to higher-level abilities.

Eternal

It's funny you mention Geomancy and Moogles. I'm tempted to give Mediators Geomancy (although they couldn't directly benefit from it) so that Moogle Mages would have a little more power.

EDIT: Still attempting to fix Paeon. Unfortunately, every change I make seems to not work. Whenever Paeon is used, it won't restore MP and (somehow) inflicts Reflect on the party instead.

EDIT: I'm also perplexed as to why certain items- namely accessories- aren't appearing in the stores.

EDIT 3: Items are now appearing in shops properly. Fun fact about FFTA I learnt just now. If you want an accessory to be buyable in shops, it has to be Shoes. If it's anything BUT Shoes, the game won't allow it to appear in the shop.

Qavex

Lots of little comments and questions here.

Is there a reason items that decrease Evade display 26 evade (for -10evd; -20evd shows up as 21)? I assume it's because the display can't handle negatives.

Should tier-2 equipment be available early through random drops? I found Gold Armor after a random clan fight. I have yet to try The Cheetahs, so I'm still well within tier-1 territory, I think.

There are no Time Mage or Green Mage abilities in tier-1 equipment. Is this intentional, or just a fault of how the better rods have the better magic abilities? My Nu Mou's in an awkward position, having learned everything there is to know about Black and White Magic at this point and having nothing else to learn (cause I have someone else on Beastmaster duty). That's not necessarily a bad thing; Black/White magic is a powerful combo with a lot of utility. It just feels wrong to bring someone into battle with no AP gains.

On a similar vein, there is only one tier-1 Bard ability: Lullaby. Don't remove it, please. I'm not one for optimization, but Moogles have it hard at the start. Since there's only 1 Bard ability, half of Moogles' job tree is unavailable. The other half includes Time Mage, which I mentioned has no tier-1 skills. Montblanc is kind of obligated to go thief because of this.

The Scream ability for Fighters and Myrmidons inflicts Berserk on oneself. Is there a benefit to this? Is Berserk supposed to increase melee damage or something? If so, I don't think its doing it. Granted, the numbers I'm looking at are still low.

What aesthetic are you going for with the Reaver? What was the concept you based the class on? Ignoring the Morpher backbone you have to build on, I'm having a hard time understanding what the class is. It feels like it's supposed to be a warrior of some kind, but its abilities feel more Sage-like.

Lastly, is there anything you can do with Catch? It was kind of a pointless ability in the original game since maybe one or two enemies ever threw things at you. I haven't tried it yet myself, but it still seems to have that generally useless vibe. Unless I'm missing something.

Eternal

Hey Qavex, thanks for the response. It's actually kinda funny that you mentioned the things you did since 90% of those things are things I noticed on my own playthrough today.

Evade: That's likely the reason, yes. What item(s) were you looking at?

Gold Armor: Clan battles should only be dropping a usable item, no armor, weapons, etc. That's weird, and I'm not sure why. I'll take a deeper look at it.

Time Mage/Green Mage: I noticed that today during my playthrough, and it'll be remedied soon. The likely scenario will be the -ra Rods being moved to Tier 1. It might be overpowered (though MP cost is always a concern, and some enemies pre-Tier 2 can use -ra spells anyways), but I would like Green Mages/Time Mages to have skills to learn. This way they can each learn 3 skills. Also, on the note of Green Mages, they'll be losing MP Gift for Slowga and their MP costs will be decreased slightly for a little more ease of use. Further, Protect/Shell/Barrier on White Mages will also be seeing an MP cost decrease.

Bards: Conch Shell (Minne) and Fairy Harp (Lifesong) will be moved to Tier 1, most likely. On the topic of Bards, Paeon is being reworked to cancel buffs and debuffs instead of restoring MP. It'll act as a blend of Esuna and Dispel, basically.

Scream: Berserk increases physical damage, yes. Unfortunately, it's not very useful. Future updates may instead make Scream boost the user's ATK instead.

Reaver: Heh, the cat's out of the bag, I suppose. One of the things I'm attempting to do for .993 (and is why said update is taking a bit, comparatively) is because I'm attempting to revamp Reaver to what it was originally intended to be: a Dark Knight/Necromancer hybrid for Nu Mou. Right now it (and Alchemist, which I'm getting to shortly) are in the process of being changed significantly. Since you brought it up, I may as well reveal what their (hopeful) skillset will be:

Reaver:

Dark Wave      (Deals Dark damage to surrounding units and damages the user)
Zombify         (Add: Undead on a unit)
Necromancy      (Add: Charm on an Undead unit)
Putrify         (Fully heals Undead units and harms living units in a small area)
Banish         (Exorcises Undead in a small area)
Lifebane      (Deals damage equal to lost HP)
Charon         (Sacrifices self to deal heavy Dark damage to surrounding units)
Fearful Aura      (Reduces DEF/RES of surrounding units)
Shadowbreak      (Deals ranged Dark physical damage to a ranged unit and damages the user)

Basically, a Dark Knight with control of the Undead that learn skills by ripping away souls from enemies. Which is badass, IMO. But that may just be my Dark Knight fetish showing itself. :P

Reavers are armored mages that can change the tide of battle by turning enemies (which are in larger numbers now, compared to Vanilla, simply because you can't use as many allies) against each other and crushing them with the HP lost by your own attacks. This will only happen if I can find a way to disable Nono's shop (I need access to those text strings that his shop uses for new text), so we'll see if we can make it happen soon-ish.

Likewise, Alchemists are being revamped. I'm sure you've noticed that now they're "Arcanists". That was the original Necromancer job I had planned for them, but they're being revamped to "Evokers". Inspired by Final Fantasy III's Evoker job, Final Fantasy X's Dark Aeons, and the early Persona series' Reverse Arcana, the Evoker will be a Nu Mou summoning job with summons whose effects are reverse of the Summoner's. Their exact skillset has yet to be determined, but some examples are Kirin inflicting damage and dispelling buffs (a reverse to Viera Kirin healing and dispelling debuffs), Phoenix inflicing Undead on a large area (a reverse of Phoenix reviving the dead properly, also to help Reavers out), Maduin healing HP over a large area (a reverse of Maduin dealing damage), etc. Shiva/Ramuh/Ifrit/etc. have yet to be determined. Also, should their animations work, Chocobo will be returning on Evoker (and Summoner!), but only if both their sprites don't bug out. The real issue is that I'm running out of skill slots to work with. I should have enough to make Evoker work, but fitting Reaver in will be tricky.

Catch is exactly how it was before. Proceed as such. :P

Qavex

I definitely got a Twin Bow and Gold Armor from clan battles. I didn't think much of the bow since I could also buy it from the shop. I think I also picked up an Onion Sword or something else I didn't think noteworthy. Every clan battle has gotten me a weapon/armor so far, along with gold and, I think, 1 Phoenix Down. The phoenix downs may have come from missions though.

Bronze Armor, Iron Armor, Silken Robe, and Magus Robe have "26" evade. Gold Armor has "21" evade. Based on this I would think anything that gives -10 evade looks like 26, and anything that gives -20 looks like 21. I don't have access to -30 evade items to check on those. Weapons, shields, etc. that increase evade seem to be displaying the correct values.

Eternal

Hmm, that's really strange. My -guess- is that clan battles are somehow hardcoded to drop certain items, but that's just a guess. I reworked random mission drops to all be usable items, so that's what should be dropping (and has been dropping for me, but I haven't done clan battles yet).

Shortly after you pointed it out, I noticed the evade issue on my end as well. I'll figure out a way to approach that, if I even keep armor weight at all.

Eternal

So, I've been working on Evoker today, and ran into a rather large snag. I'm in need of some help from some of the more experienced hackers here. I used the (currently unused in GG) Morph ability slots for the Evoker's abilities. I thought the "Enable Morpher" flag was what tied the ability to the Monster Bank, but upon attempting to use the skills like normal skills, I'm still unable to select it (presumably because I lack monsters in the Bank). Would anyone know how to un-tie those ability slots from the Bank?

bcrobert

Honestly I thought it checked for that specific flag and then compared the ability to a list of capturable monsters somewhere. If it's not a flag then it must be *drumroll* hard-coded for no reason.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

Eternal

Hmm, could you or Darth take a look at possibly undoing that? Also, a bug was pointed out to me wherein Adrammelech has 999 Magick Power. This has been fixed for the next update... whenever that may be. Evoker needs fixed first.

Qavex

The Red Mage in Nubswood Base is able to cast Evil Gaze at 0 MP. I'm absolutely certain she didn't heal MP any time during the battle because I have a Soldier with Mirror Mail and Magic Break trolling the enemy casters. I'm pretty sure Evil Gaze isn't supposed to cost 0 MP considering it's an Elementalist ability, but I don't have access to the skill myself yet.

Also, Evil Gaze bypasses reflect. I don't know if that's intentional or not. I'm not sure about the other Elementalist skills since no one's used them against me before and the only skill I have access to is Heavy Dust.

Eternal

Evil Gaze's MP cost has been fixed, but note that Elementalist spells have never been reflectable.

CrowBlack

Hi again, i found that osafune is not working, or actually didn't show up at my samurai ability list. i had checked by equiping osafune, Also my juggler cannot wield 2 weapon despite he is wearing mythril knive

bcrobert

Eteeeernal...

I vote make Summon Magic and Spirit Magic reflectable. It always annoyed me that these "magic" skillsets inexplicably ignore barriers that Time Magic can't even get through. It's weird.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.