• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 11:54:35 pm

Custom battles arena

Started by Leoni, July 23, 2016, 01:31:09 pm

Leoni

Hello!

I'm still starting to mod my fft isos, and I would like to know if there is a way to create a type of "arena mode", where I can choose all the characters to participate in the battle, and control one of the teams. Also change equipments, skills, map, music and etc. And being able to edit both teams, controling one of them. So I could create huge battles, 5 vs 5, where all of them would be equiped with the best sets in the game, and would be custom characters, for example.

Thank you very much!!!

Emmy

Not quite sure what you mean by "choose all the characters to participate in the battle" but you need to adhere to the game's sprite limit.  There's a max of 9 sprite sheets and 16 sprites per battle.  So if you have 5 characters chosen for the battle, you have a max of 4 enemy sprite sheets to work with to allow the player to choose any 5 characters he wants.  Palette swaps work though, if you want to create 5 different types of enemies and have 2 that are different palette swaps of the same thing.

You can however choose up to 3 enemy teams if you'd like to, and the ai will function for those enemy teams so that they fight against each other in addition to fighting you. Sprite limit still applies.

Changing equipment and skills is mostly easy (Patcher work), though there are a few instances of hard coded classes/skills to beware of.  Item, Charge, Math Skill, Draw out, Throw, Mime, Jump can't be edited in patcher alone; but asm exists to change a lot of this.  The skills themselves for Steal, Dance, Sing, Break, Meliadoul's sword skills, Talk skill also have hard coded aspects to them (many of which, again, asm exists to change).  ASM is also needed if you want to change the formulas themselves or R/s/m abilities past what is visible in Patcher.  Patcher is 95% self explanatory though.

Maps and music are a bit trickier - they require changing the Attack.out with the attack.out editor.  A few maps are only usable in events, they bug out in battle.  If you want to edit the maps themselves, some people here have done it and can point you in the right direction, but I haven't.  Music (outside of choosing between pre-existing songs) you're on your own.
  • Modding version: PSX