• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:40:23 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Emulating on Android?

Started by DreadfulVi, December 02, 2017, 03:04:24 pm

DreadfulVi

Hello all. As the title suggests I've been trying, rather unsuccessfully, to emulate FFT on android. I've run into roughly the same issue with the PSX version on espxe and WOTL on ppsspp. The problem being this ever present slowdown during game play. And before you say there's a stickied thread somewhere with an easy to use patch, I'll tell I've already found it and it does in fact work for the most part. In WOTL the game runs buttery smooth during those attack animations but for some unknown reason remains choppy and unstable everywhere else, especially during dialog. With the PSX version the game runs absolutely perfectly except during those attack animations. I'm wondering if there's another slowdown fix for the PSX version or if I'm just being completely oblivious to something extremely simple. I know it's not hardware related because no change in any setting on either emulator makes the slightest bit of difference and considering my phone isn't quite dated or under powered. If anyone has any advice that would be greatly appreciated. I just want to sit back, relax and play some final fantasy. Oh and I'm just going to go ahead and apologize before someone inevitably tells me I posted this in the wrong place.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Nyzer

No, the help board is definitely the right place for a question like this.

However, I run modded versions of the PSX & PSP games on my Android devices and I've never encountered such issues. I'd almost definitely have to argue that it's hardware related.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

DreadfulVi

Well do you think a one plus 3t with an adreno 530 and 6gbs of ram would have a problem? I know it's not a current flagship or anything, but a particularly old phone it is not.

3lric

If the slowdown actually exists and you arent just remembering it faster than it actually is in the PSX version, then it is indeed hardware.

I've been playing and testing FFT mods on my phones for years now (galaxy S3, all the way to S7 Edge) on FPse as well as ePSXe. No issues whatsoever.

EDIT: Can't help with your specs, as this isn't a site that deals in phone hardware and I've never even heard of the one you mentioned above.

• Modding version: PSX

DreadfulVi

December 02, 2017, 03:43:04 pm #4 Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 04:08:09 pm by DreadfulVi
Let's just say based on the fact that an s3 played it fine I should have no problems with mine. It came out a little over a year ago and was on par with flagships like the pixel that came out last year. And I don't particularly think an fps counter would be lying to me. On the PSX version in the introductory battle whenever someone uses a skill like judgement blade the game slows down to an unplayable level and then goes right back to playing perfectly.

Edit: I did manage to get the PSX version to work pretty perfectly. I switched back to a fresh iso instead of using an older version of 1.3 which may have been the issue. I also lowered the rendering resolution back to the original PSX resolution which more than likely fixed it. Still having issues with WOTL but I'm not fiddling with it anymore.

Nyzer

I mean... the problem might not be your phone model, but your phone itself. Something defective or corrupt.

As we can tell you, the issue definitely isn't with the normal (or even properly modded) game.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown