• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Lijj's Sprites

Started by Lijj, April 29, 2010, 06:45:40 am

MagiusRerecros

Gotta love creepy trees :D
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Lijj

Thanks for enjoying what I titled ' A Tree Hugger's Tree' heheh. and welcome to FFH Chad.
What you said Tea did cross my mind, and if it were a photo that tree would be almost black in the front most. So you're right but I felt the need to improvise a bit to make the tree stand out a little more. There's either a big white barn just out of view reflecting all that light or there is more than usual ambient light refraction in the misty morning than usual.
  • Modding version: PSX

Tea

The lighting of the tree is not a problem at all. It's really good, especially if you compare it with the branch in the top-right. It does not even feel to be too much lighted, tho it's certainly more than it would have been in a photo. The roots are what's bugging me, as the lighting does not seem consistent. A white barn I can accept, but this I cannot. Also:
1. This root lacks a bit of depth. Probably because it's too light, and too much of the same colour?
2. This is a tentacle. Horror. I like it.
3. How can mirrored roots be lighted the same? Argh, paradox.
4. You did a good job not painting eyes.

I am tempted to play DOTT now, because of awesome pixels.

Lijj

Ah I see. Well when I have a few maybe tomorrow I will touch it up.
DOTT?

GeneralStrife

That Tree looks like it belongs at the end of chapter one when ramza blabs about the explosion in slow text. On that hill.

Wolfran

The sunset is really impressive,Lijj. I bet the back branches were hard to do it. Anyway it's a really good job.
Btw I'm not working on my sprites because many universities (incuding mine) are on a strike against the goverment to change some educatoinal's laws and stuffs and I'm part of this movement so I don't have too much time and I'm really exhausted from going to meetings and doing some class to the freshmen because our teachers aren't allowed to do this meanwhile we are on strike.
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

GeneralStrife

Quote from: Wolfran on June 11, 2011, 08:21:00 pm
The sunset is really impressive,Lijj. I bet the back branches were hard to do it. Anyway it's a really good job.
Btw I'm not working on my sprites because many universities (incuding mine) are on a strike against the goverment to change some educatoinal's laws and stuffs and I'm part of this movement so I don't have too much time and I'm really exhausted from going to meetings and doing some class to the freshmen because our teachers aren't allowed to do this meanwhile we are on strike.

Wow wolf.

Tea

QuoteDOTT?

Day of the Tentacle. It is a point-'n-click adventure game by LucasArts, and the Japanese have nothing to do with it.

Twinees

Don't look at my stuff for influence to the fft style, look at the original portraits. Like ive said time and time again, references are really important if you are trying to imitate a style from another game. REFERENCES!!! :P. When you have an idea for a hairstyle or something, just doing a quick sketch or gathering a few fft portraits and placing them next to each other can really help in the long run, because you can find portraits that are similar to your sketch or whatnot.
The next time I am working on a fft portrait, i will take a screenshot to show what my workspace looks like (Wiz can tell you that my screen is full of fft portraits... he might even have a screenshot already...). 

Lijj

minor update to original file above..
Stop yelling at me Twin!! jk k
Found an icon for your brother made by Dawn Bringer @ PJ

Lijj

June 14, 2011, 03:54:25 pm #530 Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:54:57 pm by Lijj
Ok, twinees made this nice portrait for the female Ronin or parivir sprite but it's blonde and I really liked the idea of giving her red hair on a few of the palettes so I edited the colors and this is the best I could do. I got rid of two shades of grey for the sake of this option:

GeneralStrife

Red hair ftw! Need less blondies in fft! I think it looks fine...

Lijj

Thanks man, if you look at it.. for using two whole less shades of grey it doesn't lose much thanks to the background color as a buffer and a slight re arrangement of some pixels to trick the eye almost; I almost feel like the collar looks better with less colors.

RandMuadDib

Quote from: Lijj on June 14, 2011, 04:08:27 pm
I almost feel like the collar looks better with less colors.

I agree
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

RavenOfRazgriz

The brightest highlight looks a bit bright to me.  Otherwise it looks great as a redhead and without those two shades of grey.  The hairband is the only thing that looks like it really suffered from the loss of color.  If you can fix that tiny bit I think you're good.

That tree also looks great.  I meant to comment on that earlier.  Anything I could critique on it has already been covered, though.

Lijj

June 14, 2011, 04:32:46 pm #535 Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:41:07 pm by Lijj
TY about that tree..

Yeah you are right about the slight suffering of that hair tie.. I can't do anything  cause I lost the extra shade but I can make it skinnier so it would be less apparent.
Since I managed to keep the gi looking alright I should be able to do something.. opening it now.

ok- I think it's less apparent now and matches the sprite finely:

Wiz

June 14, 2011, 04:59:56 pm #536 Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:04:02 pm by Wiz
Quote from: Twinees on June 12, 2011, 09:52:04 am
Don't look at my stuff for influence to the fft style, look at the original portraits. Like ive said time and time again, references are really important if you are trying to imitate a style from another game. REFERENCES!!! :P. When you have an idea for a hairstyle or something, just doing a quick sketch or gathering a few fft portraits and placing them next to each other can really help in the long run, because you can find portraits that are similar to your sketch or whatnot.
The next time I am working on a fft portrait, i will take a screenshot to show what my workspace looks like (Wiz can tell you that my screen is full of fft portraits... he might even have a screenshot already...).

Normally, I don't post here in the spriting section because I don't sprite YET (2 posts so far including this one lol), but yeah, I posted that partially finished portrait of Lezard in Kages thread to show everyone how Twin does his work. If you'd like, zoom out with the "ctrl plus -"  command and you'll get a general idea of what it'll look like FFT-Portrait-Size-Wise. No extra photos from me though Twin, that's the only one I took :P

And yes, I can confirm that Twin has like 4-5 vanilla portraits up at the same time for references when doing his work as well as those of the person he's drawing. For example, one for the shape of the chin, one for the temple, one for the hairstyles, etc... <=== It's a little more complicated that that, but you get the picture :lol:.

All you spriters SHOULD get skype though, it'd be a handy tool to help you critique each other in a live experience (visuals are VERY helpful ;))
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Lijj

I'm on skype I just rarely turn it on.. my contact is
lijj134

mav

Better improvements on the shading and shape of the hair, Lijj, but this still needs a little work--your hair palette is so saturated that it looks out of place, there's a little bit of outlining on the right bang, and you could use a highlight on the lightest portion of the hair.