• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:42:36 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Patch Collaboration 2: HardCore Edition

Started by Archael, February 05, 2009, 04:43:03 pm

Archael

February 05, 2009, 04:43:03 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Re-Posting this here so people read it.

Quote from: "Zalge"I personally like my patch, but that's because its my patch and I think I have some good ideas.

That's the entire frikken problem.

"My idea"

"Me"

"my patch"

"My jobs"

"My story"

people need to realize that their ideas aren't always the best ones and contribute to doing what they do best to help create a project that on the whole, is infinitely superior

that is why movies and TV shows have writers

people who are GOOD at making stories

we have DIRECTORS

we have ARTISTS

some people are better suited to certain things

but this whole "I am the best at everything because it's my patch and I want things my way"

is going to get:

1) alot of useless new project ideas that end up going nowhere
2) forum sections that end up seeing zero use
3) ideas / creative talent that goes to waste
4) people who are not satisfied because their work / ideas never even get seen or played by anyone

the selfishness needs to stop, and more people must agree to sacrifice their greedy vision of how a project must be and accept that others do certain things better than they can

I'll give you an example:

Mercenaries has a better story and better storyteller than the great deal of you will ever come up with (myself included)

instead of trying to top Mercenaries' story (you won't), we should be working ON mercenaries doing things that each is good at

I suck at spriting, but I have a pretty good idea for what makes a skill and job fun to play (I used to do heroes and abilities on several well-known WC3 mods such as DOTA:Allstars, DOTA:Original, Megalith, and a bunch of others) as well as worked on a bunch of RPG's for Brood War

that is something I can contribute to Mercenaries

you don't see me trying to incorporate my own vision of storyline into mercenaries (hell, I don't even try to incorporate anything of my own into 1.3, I just take the best ideas the community has to make the game better and implement them)

instead of going "fuck that, I will make MY OWN PATCH cuz I WANT THINGS MY WAY"

I go "this project is going places, let me abandon my patch that is going nowhere and put my effort and hard work into this project so that I can be known as having worked on it"

this will come across as extremely harsh to some

but this is seriously the situation on this site right now.

Zalge

February 05, 2009, 04:53:26 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
Well, I did acknowledge it was just because it was my patch though. Its not anything new for people to be biased to their own creations or ideas.

Archael

February 05, 2009, 04:54:48 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Zalge"Its not anything new for people to be biased to their own creations or ideas.

Correct.

And it's nothing new to have projects go nowhere because of that bias.

Just because it's common doesn't mean it's right.

Zalge

February 05, 2009, 04:58:31 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
Quote from: "Voldemort"Just because it's common doesn't mean it's right.
Even truer. We really need to have a community project.

Archael

February 05, 2009, 05:04:34 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Zalge"

we already do.. that's why Mercenaries got it's own forum topic...

a better place for people to put their efforts forth, it could not possibly be

I am amazed how many "mylolpatch" topics popped up right after Mercenaries got it's own forum section

it just shows how greedy ppl are to work on their vision and theirs alone

Lasting_Dawn is just way too nice and considerate to ever voice something like what I did in this topic

Zalge

February 05, 2009, 05:08:02 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
Quote from: "Voldemort"

I am amazed how many "mylolpatch" topics popped up right after Mercenaries got it's own forum section

Lasting_Dawn is just way too nice and considerate to ever voice something like what I did in this topic
I actually wouldn't mind putting mine on hold to help with a community patch or whatever you want to do.

Archael

February 05, 2009, 05:36:14 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Voldemort"

I actually wouldn't mind putting mine on hold to help with a community patch or whatever you want to do.

ya

neither would I (I've never even had my own patch to begin with, or been interested in doing anything other than editing 1.3, don't even want my own patch)

but there's alot of people who just want to make FFT their way and their way only, and while it is fine for people to do that (that's what FFTPatcher is for!)

it is NOT OK to ask for help on the site for projects that will never even get finished, detracting from the ones who are worth a damn

you see where I'm going with this?

50 lolpatches and each one asks for 1% of the site's resources

1 patch that will get finished, and is worth a damn, but sees way less % resources because of the lolpatch spamming

Kokojo

February 05, 2009, 05:42:59 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Wait, mabey there is 50 lolpathes, but they use only their makers and perhaps someone else. I am using 6divide9 for the story, and the other forums for support that can help everyone, i don't know whats bad in that, its not 1% of the site. If you ask every new people to get into a team hack, they won't help much and won't like this. The lolpacthes are needed for them to experiment.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Xifanie

February 05, 2009, 07:32:04 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Voldemort, no matter what you say, I will make my lolpatch and complete it.

Not alone obviously. ;o
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

VincentCraven

February 05, 2009, 08:20:37 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Zodiac?

Making a lolpatch?

Count me in!

I'm probably going to add in a rant about how people won't help in a patch until their needs are tended to (for me: making Chocobo riding really useful), but I need to see what instigated this topic first.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Bastard Poetry

February 05, 2009, 09:08:05 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
I'm going to someday finish my Super Gay FFT patch.

Deeper Dungeon.
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

BloodyBlade

February 05, 2009, 09:43:36 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by BloodyBlade
Lets all make patches!!!!

Call my lol WTF Awesome patch Shadow Dungeon where only the Deep Dungeon is changed.

Archael

February 05, 2009, 09:44:02 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
lol Shadow Dungeon patch

VincentCraven

February 05, 2009, 10:05:28 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
What would be cool is if there were several people who really only cared about X, Y, or Z part of the game, and decided to merge their ideas to make the whole game different.

I think the sticky is going to do more than this topic in stopping people from asking for help with their patches, but the fact of the matter is, we have lots of threads already here and thus people won't take the time to find if there's something here already that interests them.

I'm thinking too much into this one.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Archael

February 05, 2009, 10:09:39 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
nah VC you are right like always

IMO get more people to work on Mercenaries (all the hard work LD has put into that deserves the help and our support IMO, tho some will disagree and choose to work on the lolpatch instead)

and then VC can figure out how to do that WOTL --> PSX FFT ISO merging project if we can pull that off,, it means FFH goes platinum

dwib

February 05, 2009, 11:33:46 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
i'm going to start my own thread about this becasue i think i could state it more clearly

Goomba

February 06, 2009, 12:38:43 am #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Goomba
I'll be releasing my Cannibalism patch as soon as I get a hold of the scripts LD is using for MERCENARIES.

spoonman

February 07, 2009, 02:08:55 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by spoonman
LOL @ last two posts.

Yeah, I would love to contribute. But I have no tight mad skills like the rest of ya's.
It's thanks to my personal lolpatch that I even know how to do anything on my own.

But figure out something for me to do and I'll do it.  =)

Zuka

March 05, 2009, 11:57:26 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zuka
I completely agree that there isn't enough teamwork on the site, but at the same time I agree that to really be of any use to some of you more experienced modders we noobs definitely need practice in the department of modding our own patches. I've tried my best to keep my patch open to public interpretation and I want nothing more than for someone to tear it apart so i can know how to make it a better game for the entire community... I like to offer my opinion when I have one to share, but my area is really writing and brainstorming new ideas, I mean, I'm good at math but where that really helps is pretty minimal from my own experience... Anyways, the point is I've completed my patch and I learned a lot from the experience, so I'm more than happy to offer myself as a resource to anyone who might be in need, but I wouldn't have felt so confident in my ability to help without having first screwed up over and over on creating a patch alone. (not for myself, and not cause I wanted tactics MY WAY, just cause no one was really interested in my idea enough to offer opinions). Personally I like 1.3 and some of the other mods around here a lot more than the patch I made.