• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:54:37 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Project AM2R v1.0 release (Metroid 2 remake)

Started by Celdia, August 06, 2016, 08:13:14 pm

Celdia

I know some other folks around here were interested in this project. Just in case you haven't been keeping up though, version 1.0 has been released, meaning the project has been fully realized and is complete! For those not familiar with it, this is a wonderfully faithful and incredibly conceptualized remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus. It may well become the definitive version of the game with fan acclaim. If you're any kind of a fan of the 2D Metroid titles, give it a try. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed.

Downloads and info here: http://metroid2remake.blogspot.de/p/am2r-downloads.html
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Kaijyuu

I may give it a whirl. I actually very recently (like, two weeks ago) played and beat Metroid 2 for the first time, and was very, very impressed. I didn't think I'd enjoy an action platformer whatever you call it as much as I did. I was surprised how atmospheric a gameboy game could be.

Strangely I'm not much of a fan of any of the other metroid games though.

nitwit

Kaijyuu

I don't think the site admins would want a link posted here. Try google.

---

I never actually gave the game a whirl since everything I read about it seemed to chop out the things I liked about M2 (like the jaunty main theme) and add in all the things I disliked from other metroid games (like bosses).

3lric

Quote from: nitwit on September 09, 2016, 08:54:58 pm
Does anyone have a torrent of this?

Confirming that it took me 7 seconds to type it into google and find a download. Come on man, it's not a big file

Barren

I've beaten the game on my own time a while back. I really enjoyed playing AM2R. I wish I was a Metroid fan sooner because other games like Super Metroid and Fusion and Prime are great games.

I'm still playing Super Metroid to this day since I first started playing
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

KingUrameshi

Just beat this (like a week ago) and I will say it is probably the best 2d Metroid game yet. It takes the best aspects from Fusion and Super and brings them to Metroid 2. I had owned Metroid 2 when I was a kid when it first came out and the lack of a map system really made that game a pain to get thru, it took my dad (who didn't really play games) beating it first to show me through the last area which is like a maze. If he could play it from beginning to end without putting it down then the remake definitely deserves a play thru from even the most casual players.

Mild Spoiler (since none of the buttons seem to work)

When you get to the tower, SAVE first.
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

Nyzer

October 16, 2016, 10:26:03 pm #7 Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:40:30 am by nyzer
I picked this up a ways back myself. I've only been playing it a little bit here and there but I'm certainly happy with it so far!

After beating it, I feel the need to add a very mild spoiler for the final Metroid sequence of the game - if you freeze a Larval Metroid, but don't manage to kill it before it thaws, do not refreeze it immediately. If you freeze it just as it starts moving again, it'll keep moving in the same direction... all the way off the screen. Forcing a reset.