• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:35:03 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Tired of Fighting with FFTactext.

Started by Dorander, October 19, 2015, 10:07:44 pm

Dorander

I've fought with FFtactext for a weeks now. I'm trying to change the job name, job description, skillset description (to reflect the job name change) of Ramza's Squire classes. I've dug through countless threads for help, tried clearing out japanese characters for space. Counting characters for exact matches size wise, and it still says DTE Bootbin 5 blah blah blah ISO not patched. I clear space in bootbin 5 and it switches to OPEN.LZW. Clear space there, and it endlessly cycles back and forth between the two.

I had one successful patch, but it corrupted the text for when a character crystalized and it would crash every time a character perma-died. So, my question is: Is there absolutely any other way to alter text without having to use this abysmal program? Or would there be any kind individuals be willing to assist me change these small things? If so, I can supply the changes I'd like to make in a private message.

Thanks.

Nyzer

Are you using the recommended - not the latest - version?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Xifanie

October 20, 2015, 02:53:27 am #2 Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 02:59:11 am by Xifanie
You also want to open a vanilla FFT Image first and save its .ffttext. Then open that .ffttext in notepad or something and make all your changes there. Elric told me the QuickEdit function really screws up in some versions.

Also, the next best thing to TacText would be coding your own program.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Dorander

Yes, I am using the recommended version .457. I'll try with notepad instead of quick edit and see if that works. If not, I'll just say screw it. lol

Angel

• Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Kourama

Its been a very long time since I have posted here but I remember the only way to really edit the text on the PSP version was to try to match the character length and format of any of the fields you were changing. It has been a while since I have tried any modding or editing of FFT but the PSP tools haven't changed much.

theultrawolf

I posted this in another thread and it's very relevant to you if you come back here and see this.
Quote from: theultrawolf on November 14, 2015, 05:42:18 am
What he said, you have to change the text in the BOOT.bin to anything shorter than a specific length. Also, something to note - when using FFTacText to patch a WoTL iso, you may run into problems saying that the patcher can NOT patch what you were trying to patch. This is due to memory allocation errors - the best solution is to delete unused text (like the various sound book texts scattered across the ISO in Kanji) You may also want to get rid of unused names and dismiss quotes that are "......". Finally, when using a WoTL iso, only patch text after every other edit you want to implement has been patched into the ISO already, and repatch several times after the first patch is successful (I would recommend about 3 times). If you follow all these steps correctly, the only glitches that should appear are shortened "Item Found" text and Trap activation texts.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL