• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:51:54 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Editing Skill/Spell Damage

Started by Ethereal Embrace, March 07, 2012, 05:02:43 pm

Ethereal Embrace

March 07, 2012, 05:02:43 pm Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:33:40 pm by Ethereal Embrace
Anyone know how to edit skill/spell damage of abilities?

I'm trying to edit Mp Cost for most spells.  And some other things like I want Ninjas' spells to not be absurdly useless, or change how Unicorn is every way better than Esuna.

Darthatron

Are you familiar with hex editors?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Darthatron

Eternal

It's not encouraging, but it's something people should learn how to use eventually. I learnt that the hard way.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Ethereal Embrace

Yes, yes I am, however, I have no idea how to locate certain bytes.  I have a basic understanding, and in my other small hacking ventures, it was enough considering that people already stated the location of the specific bytes I was looking for, etc. 

Also, I don't really know how to read tables and some other more complicated things.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

March 07, 2012, 07:51:39 pm #5 Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:09:26 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
You don't have to read the tables as much as you need to be able to read hexadecimal.  Just edit the data in the spreadsheet and the hack-generating spreadsheet will generate a giant string, which you copy, and then paste to an address.  It's basically a faster way to hex edit.

Locating different bytes... could you tell me more about this problem you're having?  I want to help.

Jingle

I know it's really old, but I was looking around the topics and the answer to this is so easy that I HAVE TO reply. Looper's FFTA:complete lets you do that, I worked a lot on skills with that for my previous (sort of incomplete) mods. It lets you change power, element, mp cost and range of skills. Changing aoe is buggy. Also, about the range, if you change a "weapon range" skill to another range than you can't switch back to weapon range.

This download link should work:

http://failhack.bplaced.net/tool/FFTA_Complete/download/

Eternal

I was under the assumption Looper's tool was buggy- that's why we weren't going to use it. I'll play around with it some though. If it proves to work well, it'll save me a ton of time, lol.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Jingle

December 06, 2012, 02:36:50 pm #8 Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:20:23 pm by Jingle
For abilities I tested it A LOT, I probably know it more than looper does, lol. Anyway I don't remember most of the things, because it's been a year or so. I forgot for example that you can also edit ap cost. Oh and I remembered wrong, you can't at all edit "weapon range" skills without getting them to have a fixed range, even to change only mp cost or power. And for the same kind of bug you should never do any change to skills with the following aoe: spear, breath (except for the skills with range 0, if I remind this correctly), full line. If you do they will make the game freeze at their use and you can't change it back with the editor itself (as happens for the range). Maximum MP cost permitted is 100. You can't give an MP cost to doublecast.

Ethereal Embrace

Don't worry about this thread guys. I'm now able to edit this kind of stuff using a hex editor and references from the effect listings in this forum and data crystal.