• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:50:16 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFT Arena: Balance Discussion Thread

Started by FFMaster, July 13, 2010, 07:56:57 pm

Barren

It would be cool to add in the holy knight job from vanilla using Wiegraf and Agrias. Of course the stats has to be balanced as well as the sword skills. P-Ev evadable seems to work. MP costs works too. But I was also thinking maybe we can make as the only class with no reaction, support or movement which would be a bit challenging but also can allow a different kind of flexibility for it to be unique. Of course I know it's not urgent that we do it but just a cool idea nonetheless
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

gatebuster202

My concern, and I think it's valid, is who will be doing these changes...Is FFT Master still around? I have not seen him since I came back to the site. If not him, who will be implementing changes, and possible play testing?
  • Modding version: PSX
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

dw6561

Here's my input: I think that non-generic classes could be a cool idea, but I just feel like they would overshadow the other classes. I would be okay with just using the sprites and abilities as long as other classes get to use the skills as well, rather than it being specific to Holy Knight or whatever other class.
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

gatebuster202

I think they'd just be another skillset DW. Which is kinda funny, since you'd basically just be paying a 250 JP premium for a skillset that has, 0 R/S/Ms and can only be a primary and secondary. Limiting things like Sword Skills, (Which should be broader and different then just Vanilla) to still requiring swords, will make the (possibly) more powerful abilities, balanced. (Then again, everyone and their brother can currently equip swords. FFT Arena would benefit from ARH like nobody's business.)
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Reks

Quote from: gatebuster202 on September 13, 2015, 11:32:40 pm
My concern, and I think it's valid, is who will be doing these changes...Is FFT Master still around? I have not seen him since I came back to the site. If not him, who will be implementing changes, and possible play testing?

If you look back a number of pages he did make a post.

Yes, he's still here, and a lot of what we propose will possibly be looked over?

But I don't expect changes to be hugely dynamic. Possibly a new class, and if not at least guaranteed Scholars are getting changed/overhauled somehow. He wanted to do so before but put out 1.3 before implementing anything for it, and with the number of complaints for Tornado/Quake it's more than likely they're gonna get spliced when 1.4 is here.

And while this is Arena, there ARE more 'tournament' patches around. Zareb's comes to mind, because it's pretty decent even if it lacks Arena's favoritism.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Kurosabes

I don't know about others, but instead of publicly releasing a project that probably wouldn't really make it far unless great work is continually put into, I just contribute to an existing one instead and leave mine to some fun side project I attend to once in a while. Altogether we bring great ideas to Arena and slowly bring this to an excellent balance patch (currently aimed for multiplayer, but eventually single player as well). That being said, I wasn't aware other multiplayer patches. You have to dig deeper, I suppose.

Well, I had some thoughts about monsters. Some problems to be specific. If we plan on leaving the current family tree system, it would be hardly feasible to have 24 different palettes for each 'family' and confusing. Since there aren't really any plans for monsters that I'm aware of, I propose we ditch the families and just make a single, generic monster of each type, just like the humans. Also allow human RSMs so that they're not just copies of each other in tournaments. If they don't automatically learn generic secondaries, we could let them use that as well although this might be more arguable since they'd have their primaries auto-learned by default.
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Gaignun

I intended Netherseers to be a generic job like any other.  Their skills would be balanced accordingly.

Introducing special jobs with abilities/stats so powerful that they must be limited to one per team would upset the metagame more than a new generic job ever would.  Teams would devolve into 1 superjob + 3 support archetypes.  This isn't bad in itself, but it doesn't conform to Arena's proven style.  Thus, I think it is best to leave superjobs to another project.

As for the implementation of additional jobs, there should be plenty of memory taken up by unused guest jobs.  These guest jobs have unique ability sets which should be swappable with new ones.  However, their RSMs are all copies of the Squire job class.  I am not sure if unique copies are assigned to each job, or if each job merely point to the Squire job's memory space.  If it is the latter, then implementing new RSMs might be a little trickier.

silentkaster

Well, I'm not sure why we have to create new classes to have some of the abilities taken from these jobs.

Based on other patches, particularly with the Holy Knight skillset, abilities are actually severely nerfed when adding an MP cost and P-Evade. Take this into account that Arena has many more ways to prevent status than most of the other patches (or Vanilla, even), and these skills don't seem so overpowered when placing them on, say, Paladin or Squire. Of course, they can stand be nerfed further for damage, status or AOE purposes (particularly, if adding any of them to Paladin an AOE nerf...to leave Southern Cross still relevant.)

Monsters would be a lot of fun to see. It's a lot of work, though and I totally understand that. If it's too much to add them all at one time, I think people would probably be happy to introduce maybe four at a time. Seeing Chocobos, Goblins, Minotaurs and Skeletons to start would probably be my top picks. Even with only one version, I think this would be okay.

The Netherseer class would be pretty cool. I'm trying to think of R/S/Ms for it that aren't used already and aren't OP. MP Switch would probably be okay as long as the overage damage would hurt the HP. (Probably self explanatory, but just in case it isn't, an example would be if a unit has 300 HP and 100 MP and gets hit for 150 damage, the unit would lose all their MP AND 50 HP IF MP Switch activates.)

Another one I've seen work is to add Protect/Shell upon taking HP damage. If this job is allowed to Equip Headbands, then Equip Headband would probably be good (although I think this should be added either way, if not to the new job, then to Monk), and the Move on Water ability (which I realize is innate to Ninja, but cannot be selected by any other unit who wishes to choose that ability).

Edit: Obviously, if we do introduce monsters, the Monster Skill ability can be a Support ability placed on this new class?
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

dw6561

MP Switch seems like it would be more of a crutch than a benefit. And if we were to implement it, I would not recommend putting it on a mage class that cannot restore its own MP. It really doesn't make sense to put this reaction on a caster class which relies heavily on MP to use skills already, since when they get hit they will loose all of their MP and be unable to cast anything productive, even with Move-MP Up. Even if Carbunkle/Spell Absorb loose their MP cost, a unit still has to take a turn to restore MP, and turns are lost as a result. If any class were to get this reaction, I would suggest a physical class that doesn't rely too much on MP.

What if we were to have a reaction like damage split, but dealing MP damage instead? We could put that on Netherseer.

Also, I like the idea of a protect/shell reaction ability, but what if we were to have a reaction that gave reflect upon being hit? This would give a unit access to reflect even after death, and it wouldn't intrude on magic-based revival. Currently, there are no abilities that add reflect directly and all equipment gives is initial: reflect.
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

Shintroy

If MP switch deals excess damage to HP that'd be great.
DW's suggestion on an MP damaging counter would also be great. It would be a great addition for non faith and MA units to counter casters.
Some day my people will be free.

Reks

What about something like FF6's Atma Weapon?

Kurosabes

That would be the opposite of Moonlight, I believe. The higher your HP, the more damage, as opposed to Moonlight being more powerful at lower HP.

Shintroy

Sounds like it would need it's own weapon class to be made correctly. It wouldn't be possible to categorize the weapon if it followed an HP based damage formula. Even as a proc weapon, it seems too good to be balanced. It would deal WP*PA for the first hit then bonus damage based on your HP. There's no way that wouldn't be broken.

I'd be against it mainly due to there being enough great swords in arena. Replace or buff shieldrender. Maybe increase mystic blade's WP by one? Increase Ultima weapon's proc chance to 50%?

Reks

Quote from: Shintroy on September 18, 2015, 03:27:09 pm
Sounds like it would need it's own weapon class to be made correctly. It wouldn't be possible to categorize the weapon if it followed an HP based damage formula. Even as a proc weapon, it seems too good to be balanced. It would deal WP*PA for the first hit then bonus damage based on your HP. There's no way that wouldn't be broken.

I'd be against it mainly due to there being enough great swords in arena. Replace or buff shieldrender. Maybe increase mystic blade's WP by one? Increase Ultima weapon's proc chance to 50%?

No, it can be done via ASM because it's really just a special formula.

And by that logic you can call the Platina Dagger MORE broken, since at 1/2 health a target WILL die from it's proc.

At most, it'd have WP, and then instead of MA or PA, would be based probably on % of HP. How to balance THAT I'm not sure, but that kind of formula would encourage people to use the higher HP equips more often.

And it really is just an idea. And it's silly to denounce it right away because there are 'good enough' swords already. More good things are never bad. Hell, make it a Knight Sword and suddenly High HP Paladins are terrifying.

silentkaster

Actually, I agree with Shintroy. If you use a 400+ Paladin with that weapon, it would be doing huge damage at full health, killing almost every unit. Also, one thing these units would have going for them is that the AI doesn't attack higher HP units first if it has a choice.

Platina dagger isn't broken because you have to get the unit below half health and the platina dagger has low WP, which by the way,  half is the threshold for when the AI starts to use heals.

However, I think this weapon could be balanced with Always: Blind.

You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Reks

September 18, 2015, 08:25:49 pm #1915 Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:37:40 pm by Reks
Quote from: silentkaster on September 18, 2015, 07:11:04 pm
Actually, I agree with Shintroy. If you use a 400+ Paladin with that weapon, it would be doing huge damage at full health, killing almost every unit. Also, one thing these units would have going for them is that the AI doesn't attack higher HP units first if it has a choice.

Platina dagger isn't broken because you have to get the unit below half health and the platina dagger has low WP, which by the way,  half is the threshold for when the AI starts to use heals.

However, I think this weapon could be balanced with Always: Blind.

Which is why discussing the possibility of it's unique formula first would be better than just assuming it'd murder everything at full HP. As in, don't be so quick to pull the trigger before the Mediator is done talking, eh?

It would do the most damage at full HP, yes, and as such might be a bit better than other weapons to give it an edge (like say, scaling on actual HP totals rather than %. A bit sloppier, but ensures you'd need a higher health unit to really do damage with it.)

Or rather, a far simpler formula.

WP*X

At 400 or greater HP, X is treated as... Let's say, 18.

At 300 or greater, let's say 15.

At 200 or greater, let's say 12.

At 100 or greater, let's say 9.

Less than that would be 6. (and dead is obviously dead)

If it happens to be a Knight Sword, and it's WP is (throwing the number out there) 15, then the damage will be at most, pre-fury and pre-Attack UP.... 270. Which is a lot, yes, but hardly special (especially given how only Paladins can equip this naturally)

If it happens to be a regular Sword, and it's WP is 10 (matching Lionheart and the Rune Blade), the damage would be 180. Again, hardly something special given it's property of WEAKENING when HP is lowered, and would require having over 400 to gain that damage.

What keeps it from being overpowered is this: it's like any other weapon. A unit has to get close, when evasion applies (because any other formula is only going to pay attention to the WP, not it's unique Attack formula - and proving it no better than other weapons for that purpose). Gain Concentrate, and you ensure that your damage isn't going to increase at all, because it wouldn't scale on MA/PA. (yes, potential Warpath, but you're almost guaranteed to lose a good chunk of HP if you do that.)

Yes, units tend to attack low HP targets first, but they'll still attack higher HP ones as well, and will attack them if it's their only target/their last target.

And equipping armor for the purpose of more HP and strength with the Atma Weapon would mean sacrificing the benefits that other armors provide (Absorb/halving/strengthening/speed(?) for cloth, status protection from armor).

It can always be given Immunity: Berserk to ensure it doesn't get that damage boost.

Giving it Always: Blind is counterproductive. If my suggestions haven't been too stellar, try discussing a different Always/Immunity if it's quirk is still too strong for people.

Edit: And it obviously wouldn't be used with 2-Hands or 2-Swords if it were just a regular Sword.

Shintroy

September 18, 2015, 09:14:00 pm #1916 Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:21:20 pm by Shintroy
Quote from: Reks on September 18, 2015, 08:25:49 pm
Which is why discussing the possibility of it's unique formula first would be better than just assuming it'd murder everything at full HP. As in, don't be so quick to pull the trigger before the Mediator is done talking, eh?

It would do the most damage at full HP, yes, and as such might be a bit better than other weapons to give it an edge (like say, scaling on actual HP totals rather than %. A bit sloppier, but ensures you'd need a higher health unit to really do damage with it.)

Or rather, a far simpler formula.

WP*X

At 400 or greater HP, X is treated as... Let's say, 18.

At 300 or greater, let's say 15.

At 200 or greater, let's say 12.

At 100 or greater, let's say 9.

Less than that would be 6. (and dead is obviously dead)

If it happens to be a Knight Sword, and it's WP is (throwing the number out there) 15, then the damage will be at most, pre-fury and pre-Attack UP.... 270. Which is a lot, yes, but hardly special (especially given how only Paladins can equip this naturally)

If it happens to be a regular Sword, and it's WP is 10 (matching Lionheart and the Rune Blade), the damage would be 180. Again, hardly something special given it's property of WEAKENING when HP is lowered, and would require having over 400 to gain that damage.

What keeps it from being overpowered is this: it's like any other weapon. A unit has to get close, when evasion applies (because any other formula is only going to pay attention to the WP, not it's unique Attack formula - and proving it no better than other weapons for that purpose). Gain Concentrate, and you ensure that your damage isn't going to increase at all, because it wouldn't scale on MA/PA. (yes, potential Warpath, but you're almost guaranteed to lose a good chunk of HP if you do that.)

Yes, units tend to attack low HP targets first, but they'll still attack higher HP ones as well, and will attack them if it's their only target/their last target.

And equipping armor for the purpose of more HP and strength with the Atma Weapon would mean sacrificing the benefits that other armors provide (Absorb/halving/strengthening/speed(?) for cloth, status protection from armor).

It can always be given Immunity: Berserk to ensure it doesn't get that damage boost.

Giving it Always: Blind is counterproductive. If my suggestions haven't been too stellar, try discussing a different Always/Immunity if it's quirk is still too strong for people.

If everyone agreed with one another there'd be no discussion and it's your own fault for not completing your post. Take it out on yourself not us.

For a weapon to be included in Arena, it absolutely has to follow the the damage formula of it's weapon type. If it didn't it would have in a different weapon class. Why is this a problem? It's obvious, because makign special case weapons doesn't belong in the game. Not because it's in bad taste, but because there's probably no more weapon classes to fit in the game.

Even after reading your explanation of the weapon I'm still against it. It would end up like 138 Katar and mainly be usded for a specific build. Powerful or not, it's not good for the game. A weapon has to have depth, that's why Pheonix Blade was changed. Was there any viable Phoenix Blade  team besides a stalling, SP altering one? Not a rhetorical question either. I genually don't know since I wasn't around until late 138, and even then I wasn't even aware of the master guide until 139.

If there's a spell that deals damage based off HP in FFT it wouldn't work as the proc either since it would have to be given low WP, proc rate, and be balanced around classes that can equip swords. At that point it's inferior to Platina dagger, Moonlight, and just about every other non proc weapon in the game. Too much work even talking about the weapon. I don't see why FFMaster has to also do an asm hack for the thing. High risk low reward for Arena's meta.

How about we talk about what absolutely needs to be in the game? 2 Range, or even 3 range masamune. Absolutely no wrong can come from this. /joke

Seriously though, if Katanas get the proposed Forced 2 Hand buff someone mentioned earlier it would work. All Katanas would need a WP buff of course, but what makes it interesting is that it doesn't take away from spears. Samurais would still have innate 2Hand, it's just they wouldn't benefit from it unless they used the equip weapon support. That means 2 Hand javelins would still be more viable than a 2 range masamune.

12, 13, or even 15 WP it would still be a balanced weapon. Paladins already have southern and grand cross which already gives the range, plus they'll still have the shield slot if they're using a 1 range weapon which makes it a inferior to cross build paladins. It wouldn't take away from Knight Sword since the katana wouldn't have the W-EV or buff or status immunities knight swords get, so as a forced 2H weapon option, paladins still would benifit more from having a knight sword. Male and Female samurais have terrible PA so there's no need to worry about the weapon being over powered.

The current Masamune is -2 SP and Always Haste making it a great weapon to use with SP altering abilities. They'll have more turns than until they're capped out and are no longer able to use the ability. For their team mates it's great since they're also more likely to benefit more than they would a regular unit. I'm the only one to abuse masamune and cheer song so far, but it could still be done a lot better. The thing is, SP altering abiltiies might not be around in the next patch making the Masamune a terrible weapon since it would keep a samurai or paladin at an effective 7 SP.

What do you's guys think about a 2 range Masamune?  Katana's don't get enough discussion so I throw this out whenever I can.

I actually think it'd be best if we all stuck to discussing one thing every week, or every few days so everything can be discussed, that way everything's organized and someone (FFMaster) can navigate posts easier.

-------------------
Also Platina Dagger being broken is laughable Reks. Alone, the weapon's low tier. What makes it great is how it can be paired with another weapon due to being dual wield-able. Even then, there are far better combinations that don't include platina dagger. Ancient Sword, Sleep Sword is more badass then say... Dual Cutter+Platina Dagger. There's hidden knife+Repel Knife.... Spell Edge, Hidden Knife, Short Edge combos....

Shiiet. What ever happened to the double slasher hype?

Requesting a match for Bramble Blast. I feel like showcasing Platina Dagger's potential.

Reks

Alright, let's back up and say it's a new Knight Sword, because it makes a bit more sense to be one.

Quote from: Shintroy on September 18, 2015, 09:14:00 pm
If everyone agreed with one another there'd be no discussion and it's your own fault for not completing your post. Take it out on yourself not us.

I do apologize for not fleshing the idea out right away, but at the same time neither was I biting you guys for it. I wanted to throw the idea in the water and see interest before following through. Your immediate "No" prompted me to ask "why" and explain it, not so much just support over it.

Quote from: Shintroy on September 18, 2015, 09:14:00 pmFor a weapon to be included in Arena, it absolutely has to follow the the damage formula of it's weapon type. If it didn't it would have in a different weapon class. Why is this a problem? It's obvious, because makign special case weapons doesn't belong in the game. Not because it's in bad taste, but because there's probably no more weapon classes to fit in the game.

And there's a thing: quirky damage formulas can be attached to specific weapons. Look at Blood Sword/Bloody Strings and Healing Staff/Murasame, and the proposed MP damaging weapons... Like you yourself wanted in the past. According to Celdia, it can be done -without- messing up the formula too much. Just requires ASMing to do, which FFM CAN do.

Quote from: Shintroy on September 18, 2015, 09:14:00 pm\Even after reading your explanation of the weapon I'm still against it. It would end up like 138 Katar and mainly be usded for a specific build. Powerful or not, it's not good for the game. A weapon has to have depth, that's why Pheonix Blade was changed. Was there any viable Phoenix Blade  team besides a stalling, SP altering one? Not a rhetorical question either. I genually don't know since I wasn't around until late 138, and even then I wasn't even aware of the master guide until 139.

By this logic many of the weapons that exist would be targets as well, since their literal only purpose is -for- specific builds. And attacking it -because- it doesn't have any depth is kinda... You can't really compare it to a Phoenix Blade.

My intent here is now to give Paladins (who're not widely used as an attackers) a bit more appeal with a weapon that encourages HP equipment. You don't HAVE to use Maximillian and Grand Helm to see it's potential.

Quote from: Shintroy on September 18, 2015, 09:14:00 pmIf there's a spell that deals damage based off HP in FFT it wouldn't work as the proc either since it would have to be given low WP, proc rate, and be balanced around classes that can equip swords. At that point it's inferior to Platina dagger, Moonlight, and just about every other non proc weapon in the game. Too much work even talking about the weapon. I don't see why FFMaster has to also do an asm hack for the thing. High risk low reward for Arena's meta.

Which is why this is a discussion thread. To talk about things like this. And that really IS up to FFM. If he thinks it's doable and likes the idea, then that's what he's going to do. If he doesn't? Oh well, it was just an idea.

And what I proposed was fairly balanced around (and required) a unit to have 400 HP to give it that (Attack command) damage edge over it's brethren, without making it more useful for Job-specific formulas... But HP is rarely a stat that stays static in Arena.

Quote from: Shintroy on September 18, 2015, 09:14:00 pmSeriously though, if Katanas get the proposed Forced 2 Hand buff someone mentioned earlier it would work. All Katanas would need a WP buff of course, but what makes it interesting is that it doesn't take away from spears. Samurais would still have innate 2Hand, it's just they wouldn't benefit from it unless they used the equip weapon support. That means 2 Hand javelins would still be more viable than a 2 range masamune.

And katanas are equal to Knight Swords? Different purposes.

Quote from: Shintroy on September 18, 2015, 09:14:00 pm12, 13, or even 15 WP it would still be a balanced weapon. Paladins already have southern and grand cross which already gives the range, plus they'll still have the shield slot if they're using a 1 range weapon which makes it a inferior to cross build paladins. It wouldn't take away from Knight Sword since the katana wouldn't have the W-EV or buff or status immunities knight swords get, so as a forced 2H weapon option, paladins still would benifit more from having a knight sword. Male and Female samurais have terrible PA so there's no need to worry about the weapon being over powered.

What they already have is decent. My idea here is for opening another option... And again, that's part of the point of this thread.

Quote from: Shintroy on September 18, 2015, 09:14:00 pmThe current Masamune is -2 SP and Always Haste making it a great weapon to use with SP altering abilities. They'll have more turns than until they're capped out and are no longer able to use the ability. For their team mates it's great since they're also more likely to benefit more than they would a regular unit. I'm the only one to abuse masamune and cheer song so far, but it could still be done a lot better. The thing is, SP altering abiltiies might not be around in the next patch making the Masamune a terrible weapon since it would keep a samurai or paladin at an effective 7 SP.

What do you's guys think about a 2 range Masamune?  Katana's don't get enough discussion so I throw this out whenever I can.

A two range katana is doable, yeah, but if my own idea for Katanas proccing their own Draw-Out goes through, Masamune could simply be a far stronger one (or more unique) since giving a unit Haste is the Repel Knife's job :P

Maybe if it could proc on the user themselves? Not sure if that's possible.

Quote from: Shintroy on September 18, 2015, 09:14:00 pmI actually think it'd be best if we all stuck to discussing one thing every week, or every few days so everything can be discussed, that way everything's organized and someone (FFMaster) can navigate posts easier.

-------------------
Also Platina Dagger being broken is laughable Reks.

Limiting discussion like that would be a rule thing, and thusly a mod thing to do. Kind-of unfair, since ideas are supposed to flow and be talked about... Limiting that isn't much fun at all and kind-of kills excitement.

And glad you thought it was funny, because I was not at all serious.

Again, apologies for any satire or negativity you might have picked up from my posts. They were not intended, and my typed words merely follow my speech pattern.

Kurosabes

I think for in-depth discussion about particular stuff, we could organize some moment of the week (or several) to gather in a chat room. I know you guys have been doing it already over IRC but I just never know when these kind of discussions take place. So having them at set times (this could vary over time depending on availabilities) would get people like me to come more often in the chat room section.

As for the weapon idea... Having more special formula weapons is something that should be avoided. You have many abilities that don't care what your weapon formula is and bypasses it with their own, like Crosses or Kagesougi. So you could still deal good damage even at low HP and not really be penalized. This leaves proc as the only option. I don't know how many free ability slots are left, this might be another problem but assuming it's not, if the formula is done right, I'm sure it could be fair. Just as a formula suggestion for the ability that's proced: CurHP / Rnd(2...4)

Shintroy

There's an IRC for arena?
Quote from: Reks on September 18, 2015, 09:41:31 pm
And there's a thing: quirky damage formulas can be attached to specific weapons. Look at Blood Sword/Bloody Strings and Healing Staff/Murasame, and the proposed MP damaging weapons... Like you yourself wanted in the past. According to Celdia, it can be done -without- messing up the formula too much. Just requires ASMing to do, which FFM CAN do.

And katanas are equal to Knight Swords? Different purposes.

[5] ITEMS

FISTS: PA * 9
    DAGGERS: [(PA + Sp) / 2] * WP
    NINJA SWORDS: [(PA + Sp) / 2] * WP
    SWORDS: PA * WP
    KNIGHT SWORDS: PA * WP
    KATANA: PA * WP
    AXES: WP * F | F = (PA/2..PA+PA/2)
    RODS: MA * WP
    STAVES: MA * WP
    FLAILS: WP * WP
    GUNS, PHYSICAL: WP * WP
    GUNS, MAGICAL: [CFa/100 * TFa/100 * Q * WP]; Q = 16 : 60% of the time; Q = 20 : 30% of the time; Q = 24 : 10% of the time; Works as a magic spell with MA = WP
    CROSSBOWS: PA * WP
    LONGBOWS: [(PA + Sp) / 2] * WP
    INSTRUMENTS: MA * WP
    DICTIONARIES: [(PA + MA) / 2] * WP
    SPEARS: PA * WP
    STICKS: Max(PA,MA) * WP
    BAGS: F * WP | F = (PA/2..PA+PA/2)
    CLOTHS: PA * WP

These are damage formulas. Blood sword and my old request for a bow that dealt MP damage don't change the damage formula of their weapon class. They just have a special effect added to them no different than dealing elemental damage or 100% add status effects. Think about it, if you took away the special effects of these weapons would they deal the same damage? Yes they would. This means they don't follow a different damage formula. Your weapon wouldn't deal the same damage if you took away the effect. This makes it an entirely new type of weapon.

You are asking for a (knight)sword that deals damage depending on HP that isn't a proc weapon right? This would  require an entirely new damage formula, it would probably be similar to spellguns, but a bit more complicated since HP would vary much more than faith.

Not sure if I said this in the previous post, but this would require an entirely different weapon category which wouldn't work.

As for comparing Katanas to Knight Swords you have to if you're going to consider making Katanas force 2 Hand. Paladins would have access to both if they' keep their same weapon proficiencies. Can't reply to the comments following the above since they're not on subject to forced 2 hand katanas vs knight swords on Paladins.

If Atma Weapon, what ever it may be, makes it into the game I'd use it for sure. There's just bigger things to worry about like over-nerfed spell guns, Katar potentially becoming 2H again with the removal of SP stacking, Cursed ring getting a higher revival rate due to the potential removal of SP altering abilities, a new SP helmet with the removal of SP boosting... I'm just more into balancing what we have now before adding something potentially gamebreaking like atma weapon.

It'd be too badass to have a high HP, 4 move, status immune, evasion ignoring, tank running around dealing 300-400 damage.

Try out DomieV's paladin build from S3.
----------------

@WKW I'm not aware of any arena secret club irc. Maybe it's the regular FFH irc? I stopped going there since I only really pay attention to arena and it's usually dead anyway.