• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Embargo

Started by The Damned, February 21, 2011, 08:06:11 pm

Who should live? (Keep in mind, if Reis lives, she WON'T be a Dragoner.)

Reis
Beowulf

Kagebunji

Not to be mean or anything, but all-new sprites is kinda much. For now I heavilly suggest using sprites from Main Page, there are quite many of them lately.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

The Damned

(Let's try this again while my computer actually moves at an acceptable pace.)

I don't see why the truth would count as "mean".

By "new sprite", I meant "sprites which need to be imported into the game" rather than "sprites which need to be created entirely", especially since I know how much work spriting is, which why I haven't asked anyone. I think only Master Magician actually needs an entirely new, custom sprite (that won't be used on a generic).

At the very least, I know for a fact that the sprites for Lamias, Tonberries, the Red Mage I'm using for Roderick and the one I'm using for the 1st new character exist. I'm pretty sure another one exists, but I need to double check that still. Additionally, Beowulf's potential replacement and Deep Dungeon's potential new master are so far on the periphery at this point that they can take pretty much any gender appropriate sprite for at least the next year or so if they even need new custom sprites.

So, yeah, I "only" need one entirely new custom sprite at this point and there's a good chance it will stay that unless the one I'm thinking exists doesn't actually exists. Then I'll need two at most and, outside of perhaps some sprite alterations to like Skeletons and some other things, that will probably be it. (Okay, that's not counting the generic sprites I'll have to replace of the Eastern classes and Paladin and Blue Mage, but those can wait and I'm still looking at the aforementioned section for viable options.)

Since we're on about this, though, how much room is there for new sprites to be imported into vanilla anyway?
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

RavenOfRazgriz

Don't mind the fact I didn't reply to your last post sooner.  I'm trying to think of a decent way to go bare-bones on your classes here.

A quick thought though, keep your unique characters to roughly 6 skills total unless they're a character like Orlandu.  They usually don't need more.  Not sure how much that actually lets you save on skills, but it's something I've noticed when looking over my special units - it's almost impossible for me to ever justify one having more than 6 skills without their skillset feeling bloated.  Kinda makes me understand why Gafgarion originally only has two skills now.  Whoever designed him was going for elegance, unlike a number of other skillset designers the game must've had.

The Damned

(Ugh. I didn't even get any work done in that Excel file yesterday. Maybe I can still finish it by Sunday. ...Probably not.)

*minds the hell out of your neglect*

I can see how 6 would work for everyone except Mustadio and Master Magician. I'm honestly just aiming at 8 as a starting point, but, yeah, I'm not sure it will ultimately clear issues as well.

We'll see, though, and I'll keep it mind.

Given that I'm still not exactly in the mood to work on anything for some reason--I guess that I'm still bummed out from Monday--and that I have some IRL I still need to take care of yet would like to at least get some work done, I think all I'm going to do today is overhaul Illusionist. That and see if I can remember what the hell I had come up with for Reliquarian. I knew I should have written it down. Maybe I did somewhere in one those numerous messy Notepad or Word documents I need to go through still.

Sigh.

However, I do feel rather inspired with regards to Illusionist for once, which is pretty funny since during the break, I was heavily considering scrapping it. So that should get done today at the very least.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

The Damned

(Ugh. I really need to stop getting distracted by other things, like TVTropes. Of course, still not feeling well and having to do a bunch of stuff IRL hasn't been helping either.)

I'm still working on this, even if I haven't done much work on it lately. I finished Illusionist like a week and a half ago and then set out to shore up Vanquisher and Reliquarian...only to realize that Reliquarian is as big a pain in the ass as Geomancer still is. I'll probably end up using the ideas I had for Reliquarian for Shrine Knight, but now I need yet another replacement for Samurai, that's actually physical or at least physical-ish. Sigh.

So, I've been trying to think about that...and been getting stuck on that again. I believe, once I get back from my appointment, some time between today and the weekend I'll finish up on that Excel spreadsheet and the Lucavi at least. I still need to see what's up with my emulator too.

Still, I'm alive or, at least, exist.

RavenOfRazgriz

Good to see you're still around.

I've been rather busy myself, heh.  It happens, as long as you're still working on things once in a while behind the scenes, we know the train's still chugging.  I still need to look through your skillsets later and find stuff you can pull out to help you get a bit more room to play with.

The Damned

(*this is the sound of no real progress having been made again*)

Eh, you don't have to do that, especially given what a mess my ability list still is.

Ugh. I'd like to use the pretext of not feeling well enough again, but it's more that I've been hideously distracted by SSF4:AE of all things...; I was expecting to be distracted by AH3 or Pokemon, but no....

Anyway, given that something has come up for Tuesday, I'll probably be working on this all day Tuesday...provided I don't fall asleep considering I'm trying to stay up all night. I'll have to refrain from commenting on your equipment stuff on Thursday since I won't be here Wednesday.

RavenOfRazgriz

Lazy bastard.

Fine, I -won't- help you then!  Hah!  /lol.  Just tell me when you've got it being less of a mess.

Being distracted from work is easy though, so... yeah.  >.>

Alright then.

Shade

Can I be a betatester?
Just Asking.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

The Damned

(Oh, universe. Why must you conspire to gain my insignificant ire?)

Sigh. It looks like I'm going to have to try to do a lot in the next four-ish hours if I want to get anything done before Friday because there's a bunch of shit--excuse my French, but this past week has been particularly annoying--that I need to look at on my DVR in the next 48 hours.

I'll see what I can do at least when it comes to my notes, though.

*mutters something under his breath about Samurai's slot*

Quote from: Shade on June 17, 2011, 06:24:30 pm
Can I be a betatester?
Just Asking.

Of course you can.

It would actually probably be beneficial given that we tend to have differing opinions.

Now I just have to finish at least an initial version of this before the world ends.

I'm going to need luck with that....

RavenOfRazgriz

Don't feel bad, if you poke around General, you can see how badly my computer asploded this time, so I can sympathize with your annoying shit.  Don't rush out a bad product.  That'll just leave a sour taste in everybody's mouth.

The Damned

(Great. Now I'm probably going to be busy this weekend as well.)

Well, at least you have a legitimate excuse with your computer exploding. My computer's just kinda of sluggish, which means I should back things up, but that's its only real issue at present. Otherwise, my not getting things done is either due to distraction or laziness or "other things".

It's especially annoying when I go back and look at notes and see that things that I thought I had done, like deciding on certain status "solutions", still haven't been finished. I'd say I hope to have some progress done by next week, but hope is pretty much always a vain lie that inevitably brings disappointment.

So all I'm going to say that is that once this DVR stuff is done, I'll see what I can get done by basically throwing my face at wall repeatedly on Friday. It should lead to good times or much pain. Not sure if I can tell the difference at this point (in regard to general things, not just trying to work on this and undermining myself).

The Damned

(Ugh. Might as well do this now given how I've done absolutely nothing today in any area of my life due to being so damn annoyed by several things.)

So, I think I finally decided to do what I should have done from the beginning and just use the very same Berserker class that I suggested to philsov for ASM'd here myself. I'll quote the main part of it just in case people don't want to click:

Quote from: The Damned on January 16, 2011, 05:15:04 amName: Berserker

(Crappy, Non-serious) Overview: The strongest of the physical classes, it uses the natural rage of a woman scorned to destroy all.

Innates: Martial Arts, Any Ground, Defense Up?

Equipment: Axes, Hat, Clothes, Acc.

Abilities:
Savagery:
Berserk: Adds Berserk, Regen and Haste to self or heals a significant bit to self and adds Berserk & Regen to self. (I can't remember if the latter is possible as a guaranteed thing.)

Takedown: Deals more damage to opponent at increased risk to self/recoil.

Cripple: Close-range attack that attempts to add Don't Act and/or Don't Move to target.

Move Obstacle: 100% Knockback attack, basically a much stronger version of the missing Dash.

Ground Shaker: Mimic Titan for humans, basically, especially since your Blue Mage doesn't have it. Hell, you could probably just straight up give them Mimic Titan with the monster changes.

Howl: PA-based self-AOE that attempts to add Slow to enemies.

Frenzy: Perserving physical attack. Would need to be weaker than the regular attack so not to outclass it.

Eject: Only distance ability. A direct PA-based Dispel Magic-ability. Should probably take at least a bit of MP given that Dispel Magic hardly gets used as it is.

Not sure what if I'll have it be female-only like I suggested to philsov, though Paladin might be better as dual-gender class even through that would make it even more difficult to balance Agrias. (Not that my lazy ass has gotten around to doing that.)

Similarly, there's obviously stuff that's going to need to be changed given how different ASM'd and Embargo are.

Regardless, this "solves" quite a few problems at all once:

1. Takes care of the Samurai problem.

2. Takes care of what to do with Draw Out--I've already decided what class to give it to keeping in mind the possible "support skillset" route that RavenofRazgis and formerdeathcorps might be able to implement.

3. Takes care of having to think up a significant number of new abilities just for once class.

4. Takes care of katana's spaces permanently, allowing me about 6 more weapon slots to use most likely.

Eternal

Because Holy Knight is a pointlessly long name and doesn't have canon outside of FFT? =x
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

MysticKnightFF5

Because having canon outside of FFT matters -TO FFT?-
Really Ety, did you even think that question through? This is FFT, where only FFT's canon matters.

RandMuadDib

I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

RavenOfRazgriz

June 24, 2011, 06:32:30 pm #77 Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:44:43 pm by RavenOfRazgriz
I need to Q4E Luna.

1. "Holy Knight" is just as "pointlessly long" as "White Mage", "Black Mage", "Red Mage", "Green Mage", "Time Mage", all variants of the preceding with "Wizard" over "Mage", "Dark Knight", "Fell Knight", "Divine Knight", "White Knight", etc.

2. Why does non-Final Fantasy Tactics canon mean a damn for Final Fantasy Tactics, again?

3. How does anything you said begin to even answer my question?  I asked why people specifically make Agrias a Paladin so consistently since her character isn't anything like one in Vanilla.

The Damned

(So, I didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted with regards to that DVR thing, though I at least got some things done before I got screwed over. Considering me, I suppose that's better than nothing.)

So, with Friday upon us, a seemingly needless change-over past and it being increasingly likely that I won't be near a computer all weekend, I'm going to try finally to get some work done and hit up mIRC again briefly tonight. I have to run a few errands first, though, so I probably won't be able to start for another two hours.

However, I feel I should address some things first.

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on June 24, 2011, 03:16:30 pm
If it were dual-gender, would there be a purpose to ever using a female Berserker?

Limitless PMS?

*shrugs*

Rather difficult to say considering I still haven't really done stats or figured out what I need to change with Embargo's Berserker, though you could argue that about pretty much any remotely physical class for females at this point outside of Thief, Templar and maybe Archer/Marksman.

So, at present, the only in-game incentive to using a female Berserker if Berserker were made dual-gender at present would to be open up Paladin and maybe Mime. I suppose it also helps, going outside of mechanics, that female-only Berserker would be easier to do than dual-gender Berserker because I don't really see suitable custom sprites for (male) Berserker. To be honest, though, I can't say that I'm really seeing a good fit for male Paladin either at present, at least if I use that Mystic Knight sprite or something.

However, making Paladins dual-gender makes the Agrias issue even more annoying to try to handle, considering what a rut I'm still in for abilities with limited formulas and space. Speaking of which....

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on June 24, 2011, 03:16:30 pm
As for Agrias v Paladin... why does everyone make Agrias into a Paladin?

Whoever said that I was making Agrias into a Paladin? Paladin's a generic class. Queensguard isn't; Holy Knight still exists, at least for Delita and (Ch. 3) Wiegraf at present.

The only reason that I even brought up the difficulty of "balancing" the two is because they'll have a decent amount of overlap, even more so if Paladin is made dual-gender. Paladin and Queensguard/Holy Knight have overlaps partly because of history, partly because I killed some swordskills in exchange for making them more common with the ARH and partly because I wanted to pay homage to Beatrix from FFIX. It also helped that class-wise, Paladins are a lot more defined than "Holy Knight", which could literally mean anything, especially with how corrupt religion tends to be (in FFT).

She's not strictly a Paladin though. She's just most like one when it comes to generic classes and at present is the only special character besides the first brand new special character who shares the issue of having to directly compete against regular, generic classes unlike every solidly other planned special character.

I can't say why everyone else makes her an actual Paladin, though. Hell, I never understood a lot of things that seem to be a lot of fans' interpretation of Agrias. (*cough*Ramza/Agrias*cough*)

Quote from: RandMuadDib on June 24, 2011, 05:45:03 pm
Ffxii canon should matter too

Debatable.

I'm taking cues from FFXII (and pretty much every other Final Fantasy sans FFXI and FFXIII), sure, but the whole Ivalice Alliance coming together in anything that looks like a coherent history at present seems extremely murky at best and utter fanwank at worst.

They'll be references to FFXII due to the "corrected" Lucavi names and some of their new abilities and attributes at the very least, yes. However, you're not going to be seeing Balthier show up in this patch or anything like that.

RandMuadDib

that's too bad i like Balthier. I actually planned on using him to replace mustadio, who i have a grudge against for no justifiable reason other than his sprite looks stupid.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!