• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:07:08 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Delphi Rad's toolkit (pre-release discussion topic)

Started by Xifanie, November 09, 2007, 05:43:17 pm

Xifanie

November 09, 2007, 05:43:17 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Abilities section

Capabilities:
Ab1 sheet (Excel), Ab2 sheet (Excel), linked effect, ability name/description/quote.

It's not perfect, I'll work on it after some coding. But is that good for a design? Anyway people will be able to double click static text for deeper information on anything they wouldn't know what it would do.

Of course the real thing won't have all those black dots and the left field will be filled with all Abilities name like:

001: Cure
002: Cure 2
003: Cure 3
004: Cure 4
005: Protect

I'll do my best for the easiest navigation possible.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Blaow

November 09, 2007, 08:43:21 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Blaow
Looks great so far!

Can I suggest you make the view of abilities on the left a tree view by job, then you can expand a job to show its abilities?

Xifanie

November 09, 2007, 09:44:54 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
With the number of jobs compared to the number of abilities (1:4 ratio) and multiple jobs sharing the same abilities... wouldn't it get messy? Plus how would you even edit all Lucavi's second skillset?

The way FFT was made wouldn't make the editor very friendly if I were to do that.  :?

Good idea, but not compatible.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

VincentCraven

November 09, 2007, 10:16:46 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
So does Rad's toolkit will not only allow change in text, but also allow change in the ability effects?

Will this toolkit also allow one to change the text that explains item effects and such? That is probably the second most important change text-wise.

Design looks good. I prefer 0's and 1's over check-boxes, but anything that lets me modify the game easily is much appreciated!
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Xifanie

November 09, 2007, 10:30:27 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
The Description Memo is what appears when you press select on an ability.

If by changing the abilities' effect you mean like making Statis sword a high chance of knockback and instant break all equipment; the answer is no.

Maybe in a latter version but right now there's plenty of stuff to add before I should actually work on trying to find new things.

VincentCraven

November 10, 2007, 07:25:18 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
I was just asking whether or not the right columns controlled the same effects that your spreadsheet does. I'd much rather have the ability to change this such as ability and equipment description.

Have you found a way yet to change the speed at which text appears? The 'little money' thing is my primary concern, but I'd like the speed at which text appears during narration to be much faster; however, the ability descriptions are more important to me, so if you haven't found anything about text speed, it's no big deal yet.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Xifanie

November 10, 2007, 07:42:18 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I learned pretty much everything about text. I'm more than ready to code my text editing.Your little money will get its ass kicked to the moon.

Well after I decide how I'll save the table.  :wink:

For all 2200 characters, with 16 bytes long input/display/output would give plenty of possibilities for a bit more than 100kb.

That means you could take Reflect's byte and easily make it display as {reflect} (9 out of 16 possible bytes).
Or you could make Bracelet (FFT format) display Breath, and save as Breath (FFT format).

Changing the name of a character everywhere in the game will be easy as pie with that.[/code]

Christopher Robin

November 10, 2007, 12:29:53 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Christopher Robin
It looks like it's made of win and god.  I like how it has the description and quote right there.

karsten

November 12, 2007, 02:20:54 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
great to hear! finally i'll be able to enjoy some patches :)

Xifanie

November 12, 2007, 06:40:59 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Sorry, been busy all W-E.  :o

Work starting in ~8 hours.

Maybe I'll be able to release it within the next week but can't guarantee it.

karsten

November 12, 2007, 11:11:39 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
i suggest you to have the program output a txt file with listed all the changes made ;) this would make reporting patches easier and help in finding errors in the patches.

Xifanie

November 12, 2007, 04:46:19 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Huh, I fear that will take several updates. The amount of work for that is gigantic. I'll probably do it though... right now what i'm planning is the following & in order:

Font Editor
Text Editor & Abilities
Rest of workbook sheets
Event Study
Event Study
Event Study
Event Study
Event Study
Event Study
Event Editor ( =D )
?Patch Report

Argg0

November 13, 2007, 02:35:29 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Argg0
Select Memo -> Object Inspector -> Lines -> Click on the ... -> Erase everything

So damn annoying seeing those "Memo1" "Memo2"... >_>

So, you have just the interface or have you coded anything?

Instead of double clicking the Labels, you could do it on MouseOver, so that a hint would appear (or put it on status bar).

Xifanie

November 13, 2007, 04:39:55 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I did that with comments in excel but removed them because I found them annoying. So I'd rather do it double-click.

Err, done just the interface yet. XD

....... I suck.

I really need to push myself now. But making that sort of program with my experience & starting from scratch makes things slow, unstable, and annoying at times since I don't always know what I should do.

SephHexenWR

November 20, 2007, 09:12:58 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SephHexenWR
Question: would this remove the need for Excel completely? I would love to get into this stuff, but all I have is OpenOffice and I can't really go about 'acquiring' Excel easily.

karsten

November 21, 2007, 02:17:27 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
you're not the only one with this problem :)