• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:00:24 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Even longer overdue Flan sprite

Started by Choto, March 12, 2012, 04:18:44 pm

Panda_Tar

For the walking frame, you can use, besides the mouth motion already suggested, those blueish spots on his basis as if they were pseudopodia, a slight sort of movement similar to that one you see when a caterpillar moves, where the blueish hues will be 'pushing' each other in order to prompt the flan forwards. Dunno if I could explain that fairly...the gif below is only to try showing more or less what I'm talking about (it's crude, I know). Adding a little inclination as the effort to pull itself from place to place and the mouth motion, that should go ok.

As for the attack, there's the FF XII's flan (0:44)attack which is called slap. It sort of can inspire you, perhaps.
  • Modding version: PSX
Always interpreting the foul side of things makes you fouler still.

3lric

I never saw those flans in FF12 (then again i never really played FF12) I always thought the flans in Phantom Brave (? maybe it was Makai Kingdom) Had a pretty good attack, with the whole turning into a fist and punching the enemy then turning back :P. Tho fitting that into the 7 Frames used for an attack might be kinda tricky.

Panda_Tar

Yes.

I was thinking on an easier motion, subtle yet nice. Given that in FF IX or X flans don't attack, FF XII ones are the most fit in my point of view as I can recall, but of course, flans can also have a breath like attack, magical gaze, or so the mind inspires one to make them do. ;)
Always interpreting the foul side of things makes you fouler still.

Choto

Interesting ideas... I will surely consider these when i get to developing concepts for moving/attacking. Keep the ideas coming!

I may be biased from my martial arts backround :P, but my first attempt will probably be making a big flan fist and blasting the opponent with it. Although i'll probably try walking frames before attacking frames.

3lric

Quote from: Choto on March 31, 2012, 01:32:28 am
Interesting ideas... I will surely consider these when i get to developing concepts for moving/attacking. Keep the ideas coming!

I may be biased from my martial arts backround :P, but my first attempt will probably be making a big flan fist and blasting the opponent with it. Although i'll probably try walking frames before attacking frames.

Haha that's a lot like what i was suggesting, of course it is completely possible to give the Flan a SP2 with a secondary attack set :P

GeneralStrife

Ambitious, I like it. I figured the french kiss attack would be easier since theres a reference but this sounds better.

Choto

Alrighty, time to get back on this horse. I've been battling feverishly with attack animation ideas. This is what came from first trying to draw a fist, then trying to draw a shield... then realizing the shield looks like a mouth with something about to burst out of it... then slapping things together... thoughts? Don't mind the coloring as its just concept atm

3lric

Kagebunji

I would suggest using some Zodiac beast fist as reference(Belias, Hashmal etc.), or even Steel Giant and recolor it to blue, probably would be cleanest and resemble fist more. Secondly, I doubt you have enough colors since of all the highlights added, but red fist would be hillarious and heh. Last, erase the outline on his eye on 2nd, 3rd, 4th frames, our left side.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Celdia

Quote from: Kagebunji on July 02, 2012, 01:48:54 pm
Secondly, I doubt you have enough colors since of all the highlights added, but red fist would be hillarious

What if he did the eye in red tones and then used that for the fist as well?
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Choto

July 02, 2012, 04:54:52 pm #90 Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 09:29:54 pm by Choto
Having a bit of trouble putting some definition into the outstretched arm, but here's a little cleaner version

Quote from: Kagebunji on July 02, 2012, 01:48:54 pm
Secondly, I doubt you have enough colors since of all the highlights added, but red fist would be hillarious and heh.

For your amusement:

(also please post any opinions about it, I think i should not make him pucker his lips in the 4th frame... kinda makes it look strange.)

Choto

July 03, 2012, 12:44:08 pm #91 Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:37:04 pm by Choto
Flan walk v.1

Kagebunji

Fist itself looks nice, I just would complain about how flat the arm is, maybe add some highlight, or use some references for an idea of how to shade/shape it. Walking looks good, got nothing to it, dripping is nice, heh.

Lijj

Great! I like the way this is turning out. The walk is looking good.

GeneralStrife

As hard as this has probably been for you, I have no important crits. It's pretty solid.

Choto

July 24, 2012, 11:31:06 pm #95 Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:54:05 pm by Choto
Tried to recolor it to make it resemble Twin's flan a bit more to get a little more definition, i think i'm liking it better.

Jon

Very nice! The 3rd one (or bottom most one) looks so cool, like it knows it is the best monster or something. Pretty sweet, keep it up! :mrgreen:
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Kagebunji

Yep, you went the right way with it, Choto.

Choto

Small update with the new style. Not sure if i'm gonna keep the attacking frames or try something else. Still looking for a good defending/evading pose.

RavenOfRazgriz

Defending pose could be it turning into a wall of some kind.  Evading pose could be it going flat to the ground like a puddle or something.

I like the fist concept for the attacking frames.  I'd need to see how it looks in-game because some of them seem questionable on the sheet itself. Could you use the Sprite Animator to toss up some GIFs of the forward attack animations?