• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:17:41 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Stupid question.

Started by CupOfOrangeJuice, May 08, 2012, 05:07:58 pm

CupOfOrangeJuice

I am relatively new to Arena, and haven't played much 1.3, but how is Charge Time calculated?
Also, I don't understand the equation for Meiton, it looks like it would do more damage than it usually does.

Fanatic

Charge time... The number under CT is how many Ticks it takes to activate. Unless I'm missing something? Short Charge halves this for many abilities, but you round up.
Final Fantasy Tactics Football Fracas [FFTFF] Link:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/57703092

RavenOfRazgriz

"CT" for a Spell or Skill is like a unit's SPD score, except treated backwards.  "CT" lists the amount of clock ticks until the Spell or Skill resolves, while a SPD score is a %/100 for filling a CT bar.

An easy way to explain it is a 3 CT skill.  If you press the Select button on a Spell with 3 CT in Vanilla FFT, it will not list the Spell's resolve rate as 3 CT - but rather as 34 SPD.  It takes 3 Clock Ticks (34/100, 68/100, 102/100) for that Spell to resolve, so the Spell essentially has a SPD score of 34.

To swing it back to Arena, your average unit has 8 SPD without modifiers.  This means that each unit has 13 CT to wait between turns (8/100, 16/100, 24/100, 32/100/ 40/100, 48/100, 56/100, 64/100, 72/100, 80/100, 88/100, 96/100, 104/100), as this is equivalent to 8 SPD, and you then reduce that unit's CT between turns by boosting its SPD stat, applying the Haste status, etc.  This is why units that Move without Acting get turns sooner too - that 20 CT conserved essentially reduces the overlay until the new turn by 2 Clock Ticks, as far as Arena is concerned.  This is why many long-CT Spells still have some risk to them even if they only have 7 CT, or the equivalent of 15 SPD - misaligned CTs from Haste, Waiting, etc. will eventually make your Spells too slow to matter before you get smacked in the face.  As mentioned before, Short Charge will make odd-numbered CTs for Spells or Skills (sans Sing, Dance, and other like-skills, which are unaffected) round up.  So a skill at 5 CT or 20 SPD will be "halved" to 3 CT or 34 SPD, etc.

As for Meiton, Fuuton, and Suiton - when computing say, 40 Faith and 12 PA Caster v 40 Faith target, they work like this:  ((145-CasFa)/100)*((145-TarFa)/100)*PA*10.  Replace, you get ((145-40)/100)*((145-40)/100)*12*10, then simplify down and you get 1.05*1.05*12*10, or about 132.  The formula in the Master Guide is shorthanded due to lack of space, leaving the Faith division as implied.

CupOfOrangeJuice

Does Magic attack up increase the damage of sticks, or is it Attack up?

Pride

All weapon formulas, beside Magic Guns, use Attack Up
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Havermayer

Another question. Can magic attack up improve the percentage of MA abilities such as steal heart? If not, can ou explain what it increases.

Barren

Magic Attack Up can improve odds of yin yang and time magic and chances of raise 1/2, summon magic fairy (maybe lich not sure) and draw out (except murasame) but doesn't affect steal heart or talk skill. At least not that I'm aware of
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

RavenOfRazgriz

It affects Talk Skill, Steal Heart, Protect-formula Spells, Raise-formula Spells, Demi-formula Spells, Yin-Yang Magic formula Spells, and other misc. skills using a similar formula.

This boost is equal to MA *4/3.  So, if you have Talk Skill and a skill that is MA+45 with 15 base MA, normally your final base Hit Rate before Zodiac Compatibility is factored is 60%.  With Magic Attack UP, this is raised to 65%.  The Constant (Y) value of all these kinds of skills is not affected by Magic Attack UP, only the MA value itself is.

Barren

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on October 06, 2012, 12:36:18 am
It affects Talk Skill, Steal Heart, Protect-formula Spells, Raise-formula Spells, Demi-formula Spells, Yin-Yang Magic formula Spells, and other misc. skills using a similar formula.

This boost is equal to MA *4/3.  So, if you have Talk Skill and a skill that is MA+45 with 15 base MA, normally your final base Hit Rate before Zodiac Compatibility is factored is 60%.  With Magic Attack UP, this is raised to 65%.  The Constant (Y) value of all these kinds of skills is not affected by Magic Attack UP, only the MA value itself is.

Ahh I 've forgotten about that
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Gaignun

Pretty much, unless the formula is immutable or neutral.  The only immutable/neutral formulae that take MA are Talk skills and Murasame, I believe.  These skills are not affected by Magic Attack UP.