• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

FFT Arena Tournament during the summer anyone?

Started by Barren, May 31, 2013, 09:01:26 am

What patch should we use for the next Arena tourney

1.38d
9 (52.9%)
8 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: June 30, 2013, 09:02:08 am

Barren

Hello everyone, with the emergence of 1.39 coming up (hopefully soon) Eternal suggested that we should have a season 2 tournament during the summer. I can definitely play as host again if need be but I would definitely like some volunteers to help me out because hosting a tournament by yourself I can tell you for a fact is a pain.

If everyone is up for it, we can either give 1.38d one last hurrah or we'll use 1.39 when it comes out and display the new changes in our seasonal tournament. Definitely have your say if we should have a tournament this summer or wait longer for 1.39.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Dokurider

I think that it should take place in 138d. I think that it's important to see just what the strongest teams can do to determine what precisely needs to be balanced for 139.

reinoe

Quote from: Dokurider on May 31, 2013, 06:27:22 pm
I think that it should take place in 138d. I think that it's important to see just what the strongest teams can do to determine what precisely needs to be balanced for 139.

That's not a bad way to see it.  It was during the Single Class Challenge tourney that I went from "Magic Guns Are Really Good" to "This is actually OP and needs a nerf".  Similarly I think it was thanks to your Dorter's Most Wanted team that people really began to appreciate the power of Cursed Ring.
My dreams can come true!

CT5Holy

Well, I can record vids, so I'm down to help.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Reks

I'm more than up for it. I'll watch the matches whenever possible, too.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Ecthel

As a self-admitted part of "people with too much time on their hands", I would gladly assist.

iamBQB

I think 1.38 would be the better bet. Not only would you have to wait for 1.39 to come out otherwise, but there'd also have to be a window of time allowed for people to rebuild their teams to adjust to the changes. Tournaments in general seem like a better idea for the end of a patch rather than the beginning.

Avalanche

I woul like to participate, but i dont have much time recently to test teams in 1.39. So i would prefer the older version for personal reasons

Barren

It has been a week since I started this topic. If there no more arguments I can close the topic after this weekend and we can discuss rules for the tournament

The Damned

(Oh, I knew I forgot to do something. Now it is only going to seem extra Devil's Advocate coincidentally....)

Eh...I'd rather wait for 1.39a to come out, which is what I voted for. Unless said rules discussion is a probably arduous and unproductive discussion about what to ban for the tournament, we're just going to get largely the same teams abusing the clearly broken stuff like Quickening and Cursed Ring and such. That's generally been the trend of past tournament outside of the SSC one and it doesn't help that 1.38d has already been out the longest of any version.

That said, however, waiting for 1.39a has issues given I have no idea what FFMaster is currently doing since he as a life and that I don't expect 1.39a to be coming out any time soon, much less before the end of summer. Similarly, I wouldn't really be against giving 1.38d a "send-off" tournament and I suppose it's not like we couldn't do something interesting with the tournament (rules), like have people (randomly) assigned or sign-up certain strategies or something.

So...yeah. While I'd rather wait for 1.39a, even though I expect that to be like ARENA: Rainbow Edition and thus broken as hell given all the incoming changes, 1.38d is what we have and I wouldn't be opposed to such a tournament or anything.

If you need help Barren, then I suppose I might even be (back) around (by) then, depending on how this Internet thing goes today. I still won't be able to help vocally, though, so there's that; I'm pretty much a "last resort" anyway though, especially if more reliable people like CT5Holy are offering to help.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Barren

With this weekend concluded it looks like that 1.38d wins 9 votes to 8. I'll be on mibbit tonight to discuss signup date and tournament date as well as rules and hosts

CT5Holy

Preliminary ideas:

Sign-up deadline: ~7/1
Rules: standard rules for team construction, best 2 of 3 for all matches except for finals, which will be best 3 of 5

uhh, anything else to discuss? oh, do we want a loser's bracket? I think most people do.

I'm willing to record vids and what not, as I've stated. So it looks like Barren and I can record vids. Anyone else willing to help out?

We also need someone to check teams, which shouldn't be that hard thanks to the memcard generator. I don't want to check this time since 1. I've made mistakes in the past and (more importantly) 2. I don't already have a team in mind to use for the tournament.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

Barren

I can check for teams this time so you don't have to worry about it. And I'm putting Reks in not only as team entry but as an example of what a legal team looks like

And I do like the signup deadline. We should probably start signups this friday. As far as loser's bracket it depends on how many actually end up entering. But yea definitely we'll try something

Mobius

Set up a plan in where everyone participating drops 5 bucks or so and the winner takes the whole pot.
Now everyone sit down, relax and have a good damned cup of tea.
Then go out into the forest and see the stars.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.
That should be my motto here, holy s

Barren

If anyone ever setup a Paypal account, but we're not really gambling for money as much as for bragging rights really

Dokurider

Quote from: Mobius on June 12, 2013, 03:32:36 pm
Set up a plan in where everyone participating drops 5 bucks or so and the winner takes the whole pot.

Bragging rights are good enough. There is no need to bring money into this. Ever.