• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Base mechanics changes: POLL

Started by FFMaster, October 30, 2010, 12:41:30 am

Skip Sandwich

@Voldemort

all i'm saying is that if anyone is interested in a future expansion to allow for things like 1v4 and suchlike, it'll be easier if the mechanics for scaling unit power up and down were already in place even if those mechanics were largely useless for the base game. Of course, this all assumes that I am not the only person who wants to see asymmetrical matches, since it wouldn't be worth the effort otherwise.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Archael

Quote from: "Skip Sandwich"@Voldemort

all i'm saying is that if anyone is interested in a future expansion to allow for things like 1v4 and suchlike, it'll be easier if the mechanics for scaling unit power up and down were already in place even if those mechanics were largely useless for the base game. Of course, this all assumes that I am not the only person who wants to see asymmetrical matches, since it wouldn't be worth the effort otherwise.

So you'd rather put a JP Cap ON now (even if it's not needed and all it does is limit builds) just in case someone wants to do stuff like 4v3, 4v2 and 4v1 in the future? Based on some assumption?

Why not keep the JP Cap OFF now (since it's not needed and all it does is limit builds) and then add it on later IF we ever have 4v3, 4v2 or 4v1 and IF those matches even require it to begin with?  

Logic. Seriously.

At this point you guys should just say you simply LIKE the JP Limit and be done with it and want to keep it because that's what you feel like playing with. That'd be fine with everyone including me. But throwing out these false points about why removing JP cap would be a bad idea is just dishonest.

The Damned

(Not getting into the current back and forth.)

Question 1
Should we change the minimum Fury/Faith?
[] - Yes (if yes, what to?)
  • - No

Comments: Assuming that this is individual Fury/Faith minimums and not the total team minimums that I think we might need brought back, then, no, I do not believe we should change it at present.

Question 2
What should be done to absorb/weak?
[] - Go back to base mechanics from vanilla
[] - Make it always neutral absorb(absorb, weak, and half element all in one)
  • - Keep as is(Absorb and Half)

Comments: For the record, I'd probably be fine with "always neutral absorb", but Half Absorb hasn't even been tested out since there haven't been any videos testing it and showing its effects; hell, there weren't even videos in all of October about any of the changes.

Question 3
Should the JP limit be removed altogether?
[] - Yes
  • - No

Comments: More testing needs to be done still before we do something potentially so drastic, especially with monsters coming in. I say this even though I've been saying that I still think magic a bit weak and this would doubtless make magicians stronger. It doesn't really help that a lot of classes have still been neglected, no one's even used the new Scholar/Calculator/Sage yet still since everyone was whoring Ultima.

Question 4
Should the limits on skills be removed(the max 2 limit)?
[] - Yes
  • - No

Comments: See above. More testing needs to be done, especially with monsters coming in.

Question 5
Should the limits on items be removed(the max 2 limit)?
[] - Yes
  • - No

Comments: See above, though this one I'm the most iffy on. Still, I don't think the latest changes to items have been tested.

Question 6
Should items be completely remade?
[] - Yes
  • - No

Comments: The latest changes haven't even been tested yet IIRC and they're probably the most balanced yet unless a way was found to implement more Item Attribute space and more complex mechanics.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

pokeytax

Quote from: "Skip Sandwich"Of course, this all assumes that I am not the only person who wants to see asymmetrical matches, since it wouldn't be worth the effort otherwise.

To allow for asymmetry, you would have to scale levels and equipment too.  And that's probably not enough.  Too much that doesn't scale with stats much and/or inflicts status (e.g. Talk Skill).

Quote3000 JP cap

The 3000 JP cap is very loose already.  You can grab any reaction, any support, a reasonable primary, and a revival secondary.  Is there a unit over the JP cap that couldn't be limited to 3000 JP and be 90% as effective?

Since everyone seems to agree R/S/M is the issue, why not make action abilities zero cost?  Then you can have a unit or team JP cap for R/S/M, crank up the cost on Speed Save and Damage Split instead of outright banning them, and see how it goes.
  • Modding version: PSX

logus

Quote from: "pokeytax"The 3000 JP cap is very loose already. You can grab any reaction, any support, a reasonable primary, and a revival secondary. Is there a unit over the JP cap that couldn't be limited to 3000 JP and be 90% as effective?

Since everyone seems to agree R/S/M is the issue, why not make action abilities zero cost? Then you can have a unit or team JP cap for R/S/M, crank up the cost on Speed Save and Damage Split instead of outright banning them, and see how it goes.

This. The balance is still artificial, but it sounds like a reasonable idea imo, and much easier than planning out an entire new skillset for r/s/m.
S3 Official Refresh Spammer