• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:09:54 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Absorb changes *POLL*

Started by FFMaster, September 09, 2010, 05:28:31 pm

Do you think all Absorb: Element items should have Half: Element?

Yes
10 (50%)
No
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: September 09, 2010, 05:28:31 pm

FFMaster

Here we go...

The plan is to have all items with Absorb: Element to also have Half: Element. What this does basically is halves all absorb. To get 100% healing from that element, you would need to be Weak: Element, from other items or Band of Elements or whatever. This removes Weak + Absorb completely.

If there is any reason why you don't like this, please post reasons why.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Shade

Well basicly it's removes elemental healing as valid strategy unless you are weak to the same. Then there isn't nearly enough items that have weak.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

Melancthon

I'm torn on this one.  Pride's Fire healing is the only team that's abused this so far isn't it?  Do they even use "weak"?  It requires a lot of equipment and abilities to set up effectively, but when it is done right it can be VERY effective.  I'd say let it stand as-is for another round of testing.  It gives people another option to build a team around, and variety is key to keeping things interesting.
Just a collaborator plotting collaboration.
"WHATS ST AJORA'S DEAL DUDE!?"

FFMaster

Yes, Prides team is using Weak: Fire, Absorb: Fire and best compat for about 300 HP healing per Asura while dealing damage.

Melancthon

I'd say let it stand for this round of testing.  If he's unbeatable with it then yes, what you are suggesting would be an excellent solution.

Kaz

I attempted to abuse this with my team of squires and paladins.  When I was testing it the paladins would earth slash the squires and get heals of 527.

equips I used were earth clothes & gold shield (both on squires).

I'm really a big fan of absorption teams, however, I sort of agree that it is fairly broken atm.

But I really don't think anyone would sacrifice that much equipment space to get the current normal absorb.  Is there a way to get rid of the two stacking upon each other?
to hell with you mustadio haters

FFMaster

I guess... I could force absorb to be neutral no matter what?

Zozma

how about making it so weak + absorb makes it neutral,  and absorb by itself is half the norm? is that possible anyway?
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

FFMaster

That is basically what I am proposing.

Skip Sandwich

we could always replace absorption with immunity, which is currently a very underutilized trait (Just rubber shoes, seriously, and I guess technically Feather Boots as well)
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

The Damned

What Skip Sandwich said is probably better in the long run for the AI, though halving all instances of Absorb is what I did in my patch, so I guess I'll just vote "yes" for now. (This includes halving the absorptions that monsters get.)
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Shade

Add to the absorb equipment with element that they absorb is also halfed and weak to it, making it neutral all the times.

I think Zozma meant that in one equip you would have have(you know) absorb, half, and weak(that would be normal) and then there would be equipment with only absorb and half.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

Melancthon

In light of Pride massacring everyone, I have changed my vote.  Great idea FFM, I was behind you the whole way!

Archael

voted no

you can't just go nerfing something at the first sight of a strategy / setup's success

although admittedly this is ALOT more powerful in arena with all the redundant weak: modifiers being thrown around on every item

FFMaster

This wasn't just first sight. Pride's team caused a load of trouble against every team, being able to heal for 300+ with Asura from both his Samurai while dealing like 120 damage to all enemies in the area. The team was tested against multiple teams, the only one that won was my Speed Save team, which would die against any other random team. Think double HC from S2 and remove the slow proc for healing.

Pull out a team to beat Pride's team and I'll see.

Shade

I voted no because stupid way of nerfing you have done. Instead of every absorb item being half and weak to element it's just half. so only way to make any good ou of any elemental tactic, you need to get weakness too? What is the point? you are basicly removing usability of absorb items as healing method. Now it's same as being immune to element and taking no damage at all.(expect the AI reacts little diffrent)

I have seen 4 fights played againts and he has won 3 times. That isn't much really, considering my archer team that has had 2 matches and has won both.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

FFMaster

Which team was that? I can't find it.

The battles I tested were never recorded, but then again, a fair few were pretty bad teams.

Pride

I voted yes and my team won 7 (3 FFM, 1 from me, and 3 from Kaz which are all posted in the arena battle topic) matches until FFM created the team that beat mine which is not counting all of the matches I and FFM did not record. I think there was a big need for it to be changed because it was, quite honestly, absurd.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Shade

ARCHERS OF DOOM!!!(is the team name(also I am not sure is it still ok after chances?))

I am still saying that the way that you guy are going nerf it is just stupid.

I am now of to watch all prides matches that I can find.

EDIT: So skip lost againts pride did not know that, since I can't watch the video due copyright claims from sony(????). Atleast at my country I can't see it.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

philsov

voted no.

I'd sooner like to see all "weak: element" functions removed.  At least, anything that also has an absorb:element counterpart.  So flame shield just simply absorbs fire, for example.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.