• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:56:13 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

SCC Tournament, Season 3, Formal Thread

Started by gatebuster202, February 12, 2017, 11:19:00 pm

CupOfOrangeJuice

February 24, 2017, 09:50:27 pm #20 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:06:43 pm by fattyzila
Hey, for my round 2 match my monk Cena was supposed to have an H Bag. I'm not sure if it'll make a difference because idk if you'll redo the match or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Barren

February 24, 2017, 10:15:20 pm #21 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:44:12 pm by Barren
Quote from: fattyzila on February 24, 2017, 09:50:27 pm
Hey, for my round 2 match my monk Cena was supposed to have an H Bag. I'm not sure if it'll make a difference because idk if you'll redo the match or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Did you talk to gatebuster about it when he was posting the teams?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

CupOfOrangeJuice

Yeah. I talked to him and in my first match I had the H Bag equipped.

Barren

February 25, 2017, 06:12:13 am #23 Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:40:08 am by Barren
Since he's the original tourney host, I'll let him decide if a rematch is possible or not. Hopefully by this weekend he'll reply. I am not going to have time for a while due to being overloaded with homework. Still thanks for the heads up, Jeremy should be able to give you a rematch sometime soon

TrueLight

GG Barren, another good classic matchup between us. My Oracles really know how to sandbag haha. Thought I could clutch that R3 once one of your Wizards got separated, but my team was put on the defensive quickly. It was only a matter time before they grouped themselves up into those big Water spells.
  • Modding version: PSX

Barren

Dokurider

Nothing for Round 1 because I already watched that when it came out.

Initial Impressions (Before watching the match proper):
Paladins
Being defensive is not a problem, but it has to be done properly and you do that by having good sandbag. Lay on Hands (and Reraise) is good, if reflectable, but Revive is...Revive.
Yeah the one unit with Reflect is going to be the last to go down, but that's about the opposite of what you want, you want the big balances, and you want them soon. Ancient Sword alone would have been sufficient; with Luck Up, dangerous. Two Swording the Sleeping Ancient on an average PA Paladin? Meh. Finger Guard, at the very least, ended up being a fortuitous pick up against a Mediator team ofc. Concentrated Chaos is underrated, and the Southern Cross pick up is some badly needed, but probably not enough in the end. Talk Skill Paladin would have liked to have been faster.
Overall, I don't see this team winning sandbag wars even with its sheer bulk.

Mediators
Bringing the guns as expected. Having both Stone and Faith gun makes provides good coverage barring Projectile Guard. Add Talk Skills to the mix and you have a SCC team that's always considered one of the teams to beat.

That being said, I think this team could have just relied on double item for revival and might have been just fine. Instead, having the Stone Gunner run Item might end up being a distraction. Lay on Hands is okay, but unBrave is just so unwieldy and I'm glad it's losing that aspect next patch. It's a real shame that the Pilgrimgunner isn't running Magic Attack Up or even Fire Strengthen, when I think just White Robe would have been acceptable vs enemy Pilgrims. A good offense is a good defense as they say.

Prediction:
Mediators have the speed, reach, sandbag, damage, and status advantage. Paladins have the...HP advantage? I don't really see these Paladins coming even close to grinding out a win here

Reaction:
Hmm, yeah even with that phenomenal opening for GB, his team still didn't have enough of a real offense to maintain a lead and it just ended up swinging right back to WKW. Come the big map, it wasn't even a contest. Kudos to GB for making a unit that can take two gunshots to the face and not get sent into critical, at least. Also Revive maintains it's record of being the shittiest revive in the game. Texan-Canadian Cabal, please.

On the flip side, the units that WKW needs to be on the offensive aren't being offensive consistently enough because they have too many skills they don't need in the end. Against a more aggressive and streamlined team, these mediators are going to find themselves on the backfoot more often then they should be.

Wizards
Sure I missed a tourney, or a bajillion, but this Wizard team is probably the most solid Wizard team one could create within the SCC restrictions. The first Wizard acting as a bumper unit to draw aggro, then the other wizards are free to drop spells everywhere, including Map Lores. This is actually a pretty scary team I think.

Chemists
I think that these Chemists are going to run into a similar problem WKW's mediator have in that the units that need to be on the offensive may go picking up units when they need to be attacking. Having both potions in play though, is the Chemist team's big strength in this tourney. Again we see the Magic/Stone combo to get around non Projectile Guard defenses. The surprise Ice Absorption is a nice touch, but understandably hard to pull off with the Item Highlander Rule. Again, Axel Rose is fierce, but him having the Phoenix Down is going to be a weakpoint in this team.

Prediction:
Too late, already watched, lopl.

Reaction:
I think Vigilante might have been able to take a fight off of Barren in a Medium Map, but yeah this Wizard team is working pretty well it seems. It's easy to call it decisive, but remember that Wizards will lose just as hard as they win.
But yeah, the Second Turn Wizards are real.

Ninjas
Nice solid aggressive team. The units that need to be aggressive will for the most part stay aggressive. My only concern is the reliance on White Magic. Trying to sandbag through item sucks these days, I know, but Ninjas are fast enough to do a decent job at it.

Monks
At least someone likes that show.This team is rather offbeat. Focusing on using Knight Swords can work, even within an SCC setting, but these units have way too many skills, Revive skills in particular. Secret Fist is always a bad mix with high damage team setups because those setups can kill faster than DS can. I think a more tried and true straightforward approach might work out better here.

Prediction:
These Ninjas are pretty efficient and hard hitting. I'm pretty sure they take apart these Monks no problem.

Reaction:
Uh.
Yeah.
Okay.

It might take a while, but I'll get around to everyone's vids.