• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:29:58 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT Arena AI Tournament for Summer 2016

Started by Barren, August 01, 2016, 10:32:28 am

What kind of tournament would you all like to see before the summer ends?

Regular AI Tournament with traditional rules and Swiss Style
10 (40%)
Pairing AI Tournament with traditional rules and Swiss Style
7 (28%)
Pairing AI Tournament with traditional rules and Double Elimination
1 (4%)
SCC AI Tournament with traditional rules and Double Elimination
4 (16%)
SCC AI Tournament with traditional rules and Swiss Style
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: August 08, 2016, 10:32:28 am

Barren

(Thanks Reks for correcting me earlier) I apologize for those who already voted. I made a mistake in the topic and I'm redoing the topic as it should be correctly called. You can re-vote

To explain what all of these rules mean, SCC (Single Class Challenge) is a tournament where you must pick a primary for all four units. For example, a team of 4 squires or 4 wizards.

Double Elimination is your regular winner's loser's bracket with grand finals.

Swiss-style tournaments allow all participants to play in every round, pairing each player based on their current records. This ensures that players with similar records are paired together. Sometimes, it is not possible to pair players with exactly the same records, in which case you may be paired up or down. The winners of the two brackets will face off in the grand finals.

Pairing rules means that two people team up via random and create a team together. Gatebuster suggested that have a rookie and a pro pair up and make a team together.

Twins Only means that you can make a team of clone units (See Andrew's Twins Time teams as examples).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Mudvayne

No option to vote for a normal style arena tourney (not limited to 1 class), double elimination? I enjoy SCC tourneys but I feel having a normal style tourney where you can use any class you want would be a lot more fun to showcase the new patch.

Barren

August 01, 2016, 11:13:19 am #2 Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:05:34 pm by Barren
Quote from: Mudvayne on August 01, 2016, 11:04:19 am
No option to vote for a normal style arena tourney (not limited to 1 class), double elimination? I enjoy SCC tourneys but I feel having a normal style tourney where you can use any class you want would be a lot more fun to showcase the new patch.

The reason why we are looking for gimmick tournaments at the moment is because we still are working on balancing the new patch at the moment. Plus it should go by quicker without having to resort to stretching things out. However if people want to see a Season 5 tournament during the fall, then I will change the twins only option to a regular tourney

Edit: I decided to change it just because now think about it the twins only rule may not fly.

gatebuster202

Well, I'm kinda torn between SCC and Pairs. SCC is fun, it's easy and a great way to get a hold of a singular concept in Arena. (Or several, but the limiting factor is number of skills.)

Pairs on the other hand, is an opportunity for us as a community to welcome new players into our little gaming community. You only get one shot at a Tourney team and that can be intimidating. Especially in double elimination set ups where you an just straight up lose two matches and be out.

I am a fan of the Swiss options, Pokemon TCG uses a set number of Swiss rounds based on participation and then seeds the top 33-50% into a Single or Double Elimination bracket. We could easily do something similar. This would allow at least 3-4 matches per participant depending on our tournament size.
  • Modding version: PSX
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Gaignun

August 02, 2016, 11:20:23 am #4 Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 11:25:49 am by Gaignun
I vote for a Swiss style tournament with any rule set.  Double elimination shows us only which teams are the most versatile.  On the other hand, Swiss puts all teams in a hierarchy and allows comparison of their relative strengths; it serves as a much more reliable reference for balance adjustments. 

Also, Swiss is logistically simpler.  For each round of matches, simply apportion a set of N matches among M hosts and let all hosts record and upload their matches in parallel. There is no need for some hosts to wait for results from other hosts before recording.

Dokurider

I support a pairing tourney with swiss rules because swiss would allow said newcomers to learn more, as opposed to being chewed up and spit out by the veterans.

Mudvayne

The pairing idea may work really well, but it depends on the total number of participants and then, is even more dependent on there being a large number of newcomers. I foresee there not being such a large number of newcomers or players that don't have much experience with Arena, so there is going to end up being quite a few veteran players left after all the newbies have been paired up, making the other half of the teams composed of two veteran players. IMO, that's a pretty big advantage over being paired up with someone new to arena that doesn't have any experience with the patch.

That being said, my vote is for regular arena rules, swiss style elimination.

gatebuster202

so far we have 15 votes... Anyone reached out to former players who haven't posted since 1.4

If we get to 16 I'm for 5 rounds Swiss

Barren

I can talk to dragonblade to see if he is interested in this year's tournament

Corosar

personally.. i am not for the pairing of players at all. at least not in a random sense. i often find that my ideas are far flung from another or communications with other people i don't know on a more personal level as awkward and rather terrifying to me. While everyone here seems excited for it. i am mostly dreading it because of these reasons. Especially if i am paired with someone my mindset for teambuilding will conflict with.
Time for a new season!

V 1.4.1 W/L: 3 / 7
V 1.4 W/L: 3 / 14.5
V 1.39 W/L: 13.25 / 22

Gaignun

You can pair with me, Corosar. I have not played around with Arena for over a year, so I am virtually a newbie.  Any team, no matter how bizarre, is cool with me.

Barren

What we can do once the poll is done is have everyone come onto discord whenever you are all available to discuss further ruling of the tourney and from there we can assign hosts, and teams together so that no one is caught by surprise. Is everyone okay with that?

dw6561

I'm ok with that.

I am definitely for pairing up, since it will establish bonds and make people feel welcome. I could pair up with anyone and still be happy.
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

Reks

Pairing, huh? I'd honestly rather make my own team, but I won't be complaining anytime soon: I just wanna have fun :P
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

gatebuster202

As SCC seems to be losing out you can add one vote to Swiss Pairs and remove one from SCC doubles(should have been swiss anyway...)

Otabo

Quote from: Reks on August 03, 2016, 09:59:12 am
Pairing, huh? I'd honestly rather make my own team, but I won't be complaining anytime soon: I just wanna have fun :P

I second that.

Shintroy

Would also prefer everyone posting their own teams. If there's pairing I hope it's random and if it's a regular tournament then I hope there's a gimmick rule like no duplicate abilities and items.
Some day my people will be free.

Malroth

I'd like swiss style and would prefer for it to not be a SCC  tournament for the first entry into a new patch

Barren

There are 20 votes so far. Looks like the regular and pairing Swiss tourney rules are still neck n neck. There is still time to vote!

Kurosabes

Technically, SCC currently has 6 votes. They are split apart because of the swiss vs double elimination.
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312