• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:41:43 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Minigame: Battle Royale

Started by Zotis, May 14, 2014, 11:52:56 am

Zotis

May 14, 2014, 11:52:56 am Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 09:42:04 pm by Zotis
In this minigame of my own invention the characters are slaves from a conquered nation forced to fight as gladiators for their masters' pleasure.  Characters begin as lowly squires with a maximum of 600 JP to start, many of the lowly combatants have even less and are not optimally equipped.  Characters are matched up randomly and must even duel their own friends and former comrades.  My character is Matred on the brown team, and I hope she survives.  Crystalization means permanent death, but even if a team is wiped the fallen who are still clinging to life will be resurrected by their masters to fight again.  Kills and eating crystals reward 100 JP.  Being on the winning team also awards a 100 JP bonus, but only to those still standing.

Let the carnage begin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smX2C-SAZ7A

Neassa (Brown)
Diya (Brown)
Jordan (Black)

Van (Black) - killed Neassa (Brown) - 100 JP
Van (Black) - killed Diya (Brown) - 100 JP
Matred (Brown) - killed Jordan (Black) - 100 JP
Van (Black) - killed Madeleine (Brown) - 100 JP
Cettina (Black) - ate a crystal - 100 JP
Merari (Black) - killed Matred (Brown) - 100 JP
Cettina - still standing - 100 JP
Merari - still standing - 100 JP
Van - still standing - 100 JP

Anyone wishing to join may post their character with a 600 JP cap.  You must be a squire for at least one battle before you may change class.  You'll be assigned a random colored team and companions.  You may start with any items you desire, but changing items costs 100 JP per item (but that item remains in your repertoire and can be switched back at any time for no extra cost).  Phoenix Blades and Cursed Rings are banned.

ShadowDragon15

So what are we calling this indefinitely? FFT Gladiator? FFT Battle Royale? Would you create a submissions thread and video/discussion thread too?

I would love to be an active member of this. However, I think there may need to be more limits. more specifically upon items. Everyone could grab Cursed Ring right at the beginning, and then they're guaranteed not to crystalize and the such... But I love the idea, so count me in to play.
Strategy is just magical.

Zotis

Sorry I did forget to mention that.  Pheonix Blades and Cursed Rings are banned, those are the only bans.

This thread will be both the discussion and video thread.  It's called FFT Arena Minigame: Battle Royale.

If you want to join just post your character with the normal Master Guide format, but 600 JP limit.

Jumza

Is there a JP cost for changing jobs? Or any pre-requisites like the original FFT job tree?

I'll post my character tonight :o this sounds cool.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Malroth

I can't say I agree with the "start as a Squire" there's no varation on the builds and its 100% luck based if you manage to survive to become something intresting, then the ones who got to change class first will just keep eating squires to grind JP to be unstoppable.

ShadowDragon15

Yeah, if you're going to create 7 generics for each gladiator to fight or be teamed with, you should probably mix up jobs and use the same JP cap as the gladiator in the match.

Zotis

Balance discussion is mich appreciated.  Well I will try to do things to keep it interrsting.  The idea of starting as a squire implies that the slaves were little more than ordinary folk when they were captured, and weren't given more than basic training before being thrust into the ring.  But I may consider lifting that limitation.  Farming lesser squires should only last the first few matches.  After that I will start gradially adding tougher foes so that it really comes down to a battle of survival.   I'm not really sure how to make it end, but perhaps if there's enough players it will become all pvp.  Any suggestions are also welcome.

Malroth

May 14, 2014, 07:13:38 pm #7 Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:02:46 pm by Malroth
My entry

Jessica
Female
Serpentarius
Squire
(no Secondary yet)
(no reaction yet)
Defend
(no movement yet)
Papyrus Plate
Escutcheon II
Black Hood
Light Robe
Dracula Mantle

Heal

after her first day of training

Jessica
Female
Serpentarius
Squire
White Magic
(no reaction yet)
Defend
(no movement yet)
Papyrus Plate
Escutcheon II
Black Hood
Light Robe
Dracula Mantle

Heal
Raise Cure2
jp remaining 200

Tourette
Female
Serpentarius
Oracle
(no secondary yet)
(no reaction yet)
(no support yet)
(no movement yet)
Octagon Rod

Black Hood
Light Robe
Dracula Mantle

Blind, Beguile, Petrify, Spell Absorb

Jumza

Here's mine

Cyriac
Male
Aries
Squire
Black Magic

Thunder Rod
Aegis Shield
Golden Hairpin
Linen Robe
Magic Gauntlet

Bolt

Remaining JP: 250
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Zotis

For now Malroth, I'm going to say you have to be a Squire.  I do want to have at least a small element of working your way up, for this particular minigame.  The other one I'm working on will be different.

ShadowDragon15

I had an idea for you Zotis... What if you placed like... a 50 JP, or even a 25 JP, requirement on every item, except the beginner items. You know how all the items are listed right now? what if the top item of every list were the beginner item. Every squire had to start with the beginner item of their respective valid weapon/shield/Helm/Armor/Accessory. This way every gladiator has a sense of accomplishment and get better equipment as they progress through the ranks. Like they really did back then. This will probably bring a greater challenge and allows people to really get into having really good units.

And to really explain what I mean, I'll just use the knives as an example. Let's just say you decide to begin your squire with the Throwing Knife, then you manage to win a battle and you gain some JP. well, now you have to decide to to use this currency for better equips or for better skills. If you decide on better equips, then they have the option of spending 25/50 JP to switch weapon classes, or to upgrade the Throwing Knife into the Dual Cutters, and from the Dual Cutters to the Repel Knife. The idea would be to not skip on down the list, and adds a little more variety to the strategy.

Just a thought I had, to possible amp up the excitement of your new mini-game. Tell me what you think.

Zotis

Thanks for the suggestion ShadowDragon15, but I think I'd rather not do something like that.  First of all the items are not ordered from best to worst, they are balanced so that everything is good if used right.  Also, working down the list to something you want for a particular build that you're just going to change later is a little bit too limiting and tedious.  Then there's the issue of dying and having to start over, you wouldn't want to keep going down the list and never getting to the lower items.

silentkaster

Lonely Widow
Female
Virgo
Squire

Poison Rod
Aegis Shield
Green Beret
Light Robe
Feather Mantle

Alacrity, Heal
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

enderbane23

May 17, 2014, 05:05:59 pm #13 Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:28:05 am by enderbane23

Robert
Male
Serpentarius
Squire

Counter Tackle
Defend

Lionheart
Genji Shield
Twist Headband
Power Sleeve
Battle Boots

Bullrush

Leif1991

May 17, 2014, 05:11:02 pm #14 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:14:51 pm by Leif1991
This looks like fun.

Agent Jay
Male
Virgo
Squire

Counter Tackle
Defend

Blood Sword
Escutcheon II
Flash Hat
Power Sleeve
Feather Mantle

Heal, Yell

EDIT: Enderbane 23, it looks like you crossed the 600 JP cap.
Season 3 A.I. Tournament Champion

enderbane23

May 18, 2014, 09:22:15 am #15 Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:33:00 am by enderbane23
Yeah just realized that. Should be fixed now.

Dokurider

May 19, 2014, 05:29:42 pm #16 Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:46:32 pm by Dokurider
Hah, this looks fun. Does the 600 JP cap include unlocking classes to get abilities? Do I have to spend an additional 250 to unlock Thief so I can get Move + 1 for instance?
Red Luster
Male
Serpentarius
Squire

Concentrate

Blood Sword
Escutcheon II
Green Beret
Brigandine
Angel Ring

Buy List:
Counter
Buy (Not Equip) Diamond Armor
Buy (Not Equip) Genji Helmet
Buy (Not Equip) Rubber Shoes
Become Knight
Equip Diamond Armor, Platina Helmet, Rubber Shoes
Move + 1

Use this one when Blood Luster bites the dust.

Plan J
Male
Serpentarius
Squire
Jump

Tactician's Blade
Genji Shield
Black Hood
Brigandine
Power Wrist

Level Jump 5, Vertical Jump 5

Buy List: