• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:16:02 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Auto-Skill Spell Quotes?

Started by WE_ID, June 13, 2011, 06:21:35 am

WE_ID

June 13, 2011, 06:21:35 am Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:38:22 am by WE_ID
First off, I want to thank everyone for all their hard work on this patch.  I love the new translation and really appreciate all the hard work everyone put into this.

I have a small problem though, however it's not really a problem.  The spell quotes that characters randomly say are skipped, rather quickly I might add.  Intended?

EDIT:  Something else I noticed.  In the first battle, Magic City Garliand or whatever, one of the squires you're fighting says "Looks like we have ourselves some apprentice from the akademy."  It should be academy.

Eternal

Complete uses an older spelling of "academy" which is "akademy". You see "c" and "k" used inversely a few times in WotL and FFXII- a good example in FFXII being the word "magick".

...also, ignore my crappy spell quotes for now. I'm rewriting them.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

WE_ID

Quote from: Eternal248 on June 13, 2011, 08:11:11 am
Complete uses an older spelling of "academy" which is "akademy". You see "c" and "k" used inversely a few times in WotL and FFXII- a good example in FFXII being the word "magick".

...also, ignore my crappy spell quotes for now. I'm rewriting them.

Sounds great :)

Eternal

Trust me, you really don't. They're absolutely awful and I have no idea what I was thinking at the time. Having played Tactics Ogre PSP recently, I have a much better grasp on the style they should be. I'll rewrite them once I finish more PW and CoP stuff.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Fenrir90

June 13, 2011, 08:12:07 pm #4 Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:48:41 pm by Fenrir90
Crap, I accidently deleted my post while I wanted to modify it and post what I had writen. There are only two small things that I did not agree with your quotes. Took me long enough to write this, I'm still going to share it with you.

Text I wanted to put in my deleted older post:

Okay, I've read all your quotes and they are pretty good. I really like them, but some of them or merely a few words in some quotes that I did not like. I'll state my reason and break it down and expand on what I mean. Okay first all, the summons... You got the katana's quotes right, but the summons have one error in them honestly. What I mean is that you are asking for help (Katanas and Espers).

Ashura: "Legendary blade, kill without mercy! Ashura!" -> You're asking for help from the spirit of the katana where it resides within the katana, and that katana is called Ashura. This is correct.
Shiva: "Esper of the North Winds, freeze all! Diamond Dust!" -> You are not asking Diamond Dust for help, Diamond Dust is Shiva's signature attack.

Some source that should makes an interesting read:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IKnowYourTrueName
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_name

Here is what supports the above. In FFTactext, there is a drop down menu where you can insert the attack names of the katanas and espers. Ironically, it's only for katanas and espers.

FFTactext Editor -> Text -> BATTLE.BIN -> 24: Summon/Draw Out

Now, for some of your spell quotes.

Wall: "Sacred Occurian palings, defend against tyranny! Wall!"
Holy: "Smiting light of the High Seraph, strike now! Holy!"
Firaja: "Ardor of the Gigas, smite all! Firaja!"
Blizzaga: "Cocytus of the Ninth Circle, come forth! Blizzaga!"
Blizzaja: "Icy blade of the Corrupt, freeze the damned! Blizzaja!"
Thundaja: "Bolts of the Wroth, end all life in a final judgment! Thundaja!"
Poison: "Be injected with the filth-blood of the Impure! Poison!"
Death: "Death Seraph, carve into this soul! Death!"
Meteor: "The time of judgment has come... Judge-Sal, crash down! Meteor!"
Flareja: "Wretched Occuria, your reign ends here! Flareja!"
Tornado: "Walker of the Wheel, our master awaits us! Tornado!"

Okay for this part which is the last part, you are indirectly telling that the Lucavis (in some shape, form or knowledge) is known throughout the world of Ivalice. But, this contradicts the story as everybody is stupefied at their appearance (Ramza, Meliadoul, etc) let alone their existence. Remember, anyone can become a black mage since it's a military job and they would have to learn by hart the incantations. Don't you think scholars or people curious on the subject would research the origins of these incantations? Remember, humans are curious by nature. An Occuria/Death Seraph/Ardor of the Gigas. Don't you think the church would look into it further to not conflict their made-up teachings? I personally believe that magic is of pagan origin which would make sense since the Church of Glabados has some similarities to the Catholic Church. I'm not interested in listing all the similarities of the churchs since that is not the point of this post. If you've played the game, you know what I'm talking about. If I remember correctly, isn't there a pagan girl sprite within the game. I remember her sprite appears in the party roster but not on the battlefield.

Add: Found it, it's Teta's menu sprite.

Source: http://tcrf.net/Final_Fantasy_Tactics
Source: http://tcrf.net/File:FFT-Teta.png

Some source that should make an interesting read:

"An incantation or enchantment is a charm or spell created using words. An incantation may take place during a ritual, either a hymn or prayer, and may invoke or praise a deity." In this game, the FFXII Espers are not deities. They are demons (Lucavi).

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incantation

To me, the spell quote(s) informed the player indirectly that magic have pagan origins, and the church simply absorb it into their sect.

"An "Esper" command that allows casting of the Bahamut, Odin, Leviathan, and Salamander summons, as well as the Midgardsormr summon used by Elidibus. The description of this command says it belongs to a "Nether shaman," but no actual in-game character has it."

More paganism, shaman.

Source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/937312-final-fantasy-tactics-the-war-of-the-lions/faqs/50422

"The historical phenomenon of Christianization, (or Christianisation), is the conversion of individuals to Christianity or the conversion of entire peoples at once. It also includes the practice of converting native pagan practices and culture, pagan religious imagery, pagan sites and the pagan calendar to Christian uses, due to the Christian efforts at proselytism (evangelism) based on the tradition of the Great Commission."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianization

Bolt 3: "Heavenly bolts, bring God's justice! Bolt3!" - God: The Creator/The Almighty One - later know as the father of Saint Ajora's.
Death: "Death gods carving life, take their souls! Death!" - Shikigami/Grim Reaper
Flare: "Inscript the dark god into a rotting body! Flare!" - Satan?
Stop: "Spirits of time, hide us from the judging hand of God! Stop!" - God (check Bolt 3)
Pray Faith: "God is watching.... have faith! Pray Faith!" - God (check Bolt 3)
Return 2: "Gods of time and tide, give me your power! Return 2!" - ?
Rofel also invokes the name of Time God Zomalla to use Dejeon/Warp. - A "pagan" god in Ajora's time?

Personally, I prefer the paganism of the incantation due to the similarities of the Church of Glabados to the Catholic Church. Replacing them basically destroys a part of Ivalice's past/history even if it's just stated in an indirect way (thru the spell quotes). It adds new information in an indirect way to an already great story. But damn, I envy those that can read Japanese; I would really like to play the Japanese version of FFT or play a Japanese to English patch to see the differences between the two. Yeah yeah I know that I can change things with the FFTPatcher, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the quotes. Hope you enjoy the reading. :)

With that, I'm still looking forward to your new quotes Eternal248. Good luck with them.

Quote from: Eternal248 on June 13, 2011, 07:08:03 pm
Trust me, you really don't. They're absolutely awful and I have no idea what I was thinking at the time. Having played Tactics Ogre PSP recently, I have a much better grasp on the style they should be. I'll rewrite them once I finish more PW and CoP stuff.

Now, I am really looking forward to them. :D

Inzoum

I love the whole spell/skill quotes thing. That's the thing I regretted the most in the PSP version (even more than the laggy effects). I'm quite chagrined to see them pop up and go away so quickly in FFT:C, even if they're badly written... I hope the next revision will either re-instate clicking the confirm button or add a small delay so I can actually get to read them before they go away.

Other than that, I find FFT:C is the most enjoyable playthrough I've had, ever.

LucasTizma

I know it's an old topic, but...

...I didn't realize that the WotL did away with the spell quotes. I'd say it'd be best to either rewrite them (I'd love to do this, actually!  :cool:) or get rid of them completely. I find the super-fast quotes that you can't even read to be a little distracting.

Thoughts?

Eternal

I made some (crappy) spell quotes for FFT: Complete, which uses WotL's script. Expect to see them rewritten in TO PSP's style in the near future.