• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:53:16 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

What's the Point?

Started by thisisstupid999, July 27, 2010, 03:53:42 pm

thisisstupid999

I've experimented several times with FFTactText and FFTorgASM and every time I change the ISO on my PSP using either of these two programs, the game always has crash problems. What's the point of changing an ISO that you already know will only result in crashing? Why do people keep doing it when they know that ISO is going to have problems?

ffta707

Because you must be doing something wrong. Are you patching a clean iso? I don't have any experience with psp patching, but they spent a lot of time on those programs. Go through tutorials and troubleshoot yourself, and you will find out whats wrong.

AvengerXP

Took me a while to find a good ISO. My current working copy is an IMG with its SUBtext and CCD (3 files). I tried an ISO, a BIN but it just kept crashing. Also I have had better luck applying manually some correctives and hacks because sometimes the data referenced by people here is not exactly where it is due to subtle differences in game versions. For example, a hack that asks you modify "80021314" with "80021516" at 0xEA83 might not work because your copy does not have "80021314" at that adress but rather it is slightly lower in the code. Don't ask me why. Sometimes you just have to not apply it because you are clueless since the data is not what is expected.

The best example I have is starting money, everyone here says to change D007 to whatever but 2000 in hex is 07 D0, the game reads the data BACKWARDS. So if you want to put something in there, I suggest inverting for that particular case. I believe this is a big endian/little endian particularity but my knowledge stops there.

Also, do incremental changes. Don't pick everything in FFTORGASM and apply. Put one change, test it out. Move on and on, always keeping a backup copy of your last best changed ISO. So if your games fucks up, you know what change is the culprit. For some reason, I can't apply from ORGASM the JP glitch fix but I can do it manually.

SentinalBlade

fftorgASM is for the PSX version. almost ALL asm causes crashes on the psp. As for Tactext, there a few bugs, but you should nto be getting consistent crashes...

ffta707

That's why I thought there might be some issues in the correlation that you are doing things in. Make sure it is a good iso. Take your psx FFT game, and make a good iso file, it takes 5 - 10 minutes.

thisisstupid999

Quote from: "ffta707"Because you must be doing something wrong. Are you patching a clean iso? I don't have any experience with psp patching, but they spent a lot of time on those programs. Go through tutorials and troubleshoot yourself, and you will find out whats wrong.
I patch a clean ISO everytime. I have a clean ISO that I have saved onto my computer. Everytime I want to make a change, I delete the old one and copy then paste the clean one from my computer. Works very well actually.

thisisstupid999

Quote from: "AvengerXP"Took me a while to find a good ISO. My current working copy is an IMG with its SUBtext and CCD (3 files). I tried an ISO, a BIN but it just kept crashing. Also I have had better luck applying manually some correctives and hacks because sometimes the data referenced by people here is not exactly where it is due to subtle differences in game versions. For example, a hack that asks you modify "80021314" with "80021516" at 0xEA83 might not work because your copy does not have "80021314" at that adress but rather it is slightly lower in the code. Don't ask me why. Sometimes you just have to not apply it because you are clueless since the data is not what is expected.

The best example I have is starting money, everyone here says to change D007 to whatever but 2000 in hex is 07 D0, the game reads the data BACKWARDS. So if you want to put something in there, I suggest inverting for that particular case. I believe this is a big endian/little endian particularity but my knowledge stops there.

Also, do incremental changes. Don't pick everything in FFTORGASM and apply. Put one change, test it out. Move on and on, always keeping a backup copy of your last best changed ISO. So if your games fucks up, you know what change is the culprit. For some reason, I can't apply from ORGASM the JP glitch fix but I can do it manually.
PSX must be a lot different, because I really have no idea what you're talking about, except the orgASM part. I usually only want to apply one hack: the one where it changes the ability requirement "Requires sword" from Sword and Knight Sword to Sword, Knight Sword, Ninja Blade, and Katana. That's the only one I want at this point in the game, but every time I apply it to the ISO, the game crashes.

thisisstupid999

Quote from: "SentinalBlade"fftorgASM is for the PSX version. almost ALL asm causes crashes on the psp. As for Tactext, there a few bugs, but you should nto be getting consistent crashes...
Well that freaking sucks. They should make one for the PSP. I know it's not as popular as the PSX, but it's honestly getting bigger. More and more people are buying the PSP version. Since I never see the PSX ever anywhere in stores, I'm guessing that stores don't sell it anymore (except Gamestop and other used game stores). I think eventually that the people who own the PSP version will outnumber those with the PSX.

Vanya

I doubt that it will ever get made for the PSP version since anyone that can hack their PSP game should be well aware of the superiority of the emulated PSX version. Also, the FFT Complete hack will basically obsolete the PSP version except for the P2P battles and the few other bits of fluff that were added.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

ffta707

Quote from: "thisisstupid999"
Quote from: "ffta707"Because you must be doing something wrong. Are you patching a clean iso? I don't have any experience with psp patching, but they spent a lot of time on those programs. Go through tutorials and troubleshoot yourself, and you will find out whats wrong.
I patch a clean ISO everytime. I have a clean ISO that I have saved onto my computer. Everytime I want to make a change, I delete the old one and copy then paste the clean one from my computer. Works very well actually.

You do the same as I do. I have to conserve my iso that I have right now. I lost my fft cd, and I refuse to download them.

thisisstupid999

Quote from: "Vanya"I doubt that it will ever get made for the PSP version since anyone that can hack their PSP game should be well aware of the superiority of the emulated PSX version. Also, the FFT Complete hack will basically obsolete the PSP version except for the P2P battles and the few other bits of fluff that were added.
I disagree that the PSX version is better, but that's your opinion. I'm happy with the PSP version, especially since it's mobile, unlike PSX. Anyways, I think I may have found a way around the Asm crashes.

thisisstupid999

Quote from: "ffta707"

You do the same as I do. I have to conserve my iso that I have right now. I lost my fft cd, and I refuse to download them.
That's probably a good thing, considering that downloading ISO's off of the internet is illegal and they may be corrupted or tampered with.

Vanya

Quote from: "Vanya"I doubt that it will ever get made for the PSP version since anyone that can hack their PSP game should be well aware of the superiority of the emulated PSX version. Also, the FFT Complete hack will basically obsolete the PSP version except for the P2P battles and the few other bits of fluff that were added.
I disagree that the PSX version is better, but that's your opinion. I'm happy with the PSP version, especially since it's mobile, unlike PSX. Anyways, I think I may have found a way around the Asm crashes.

PSX version is just as portable with a custom firmware for your PSP.
¯\(°_0)/¯

ffta707

PSX version FTW!

Anyways, the PSX version was the original, and it just gives me a better overall feeling. It brings back good memories, Plus it can be played on the big screen or the psp screen.

Vanya

My problem with the PSP version is that it was a good update to the game's content, but the actual porting was terribly executed.
There's no good reason nor any excuse for the slowdown.
¯\(°_0)/¯

ffta707

I agree. I don't mind the content, the cut scenes are great. But the slowdown kills me in the end.

thisisstupid999

Exactly what slow down are you talking about? The magic slow down? Because if so, I'm with you on that. That made me mad the first time I played it.

Even though you think the PSX is better, I honestly don't care. I'm happy with the one I have. I don't mean to say that in a rude way either.

ffta707

Oh, well I'm glad to see someone enjoying the psp version. After all, FFT is FFT. I'm sure we can both agree on that. The game is amazing.

thisisstupid999

Indeed, it is. One of my all time favorites on any system.