• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:52:51 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTA2 Text Editor, Feedback wanted.

Started by DeSgeretjin, May 06, 2018, 05:51:09 am

Kairetsu

You can edit your starting party easily with hex editor. You can check the address in the spreadsheet. Keep in mind, there is some limitation though. It seems like the starting Nu Mou and Viera is hardcoded as Black Mage and White Mage. They are both unchangeable. But, the rest of starting members can be changed.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Lucaskart

I'm new with modding and I tried to use your tool, but when I change the random people names and save the rom, isn't doesn't really change and when I update the tree again the names are all back to who they were, what should I do to make the changes permanent?  :(
  • Discord username: Lucaskart#3909

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: Lucaskart on December 21, 2018, 09:43:35 pm
I'm new with modding and I tried to use your tool, but when I change the random people names and save the rom, isn't doesn't really change and when I update the tree again the names are all back to who they were, what should I do to make the changes permanent?  :(

If you change current unit names to other random names, it doesn't work that way, once you change their names you have to restart a new game file to have the changed names set; however, if you do change random names it'll only stay as random names regardless of a new game file, mainly only unique units have set names and can have them changed in the middle of a saved file.
  • Discord username: Zeke Aileron™#0606

Lucaskart

Quote from: Zeke_Aileron on December 22, 2018, 02:29:50 am
If you change current unit names to other random names, it doesn't work that way, once you change their names you have to restart a new game file to have the changed names set; however, if you do change random names it'll only stay as random names regardless of a new game file, mainly only unique units have set names and can have them changed in the middle of a saved file.

It's not in game, it's like nearly every change I do stays safe on the rom after I save, like changing the Classes, Weapons names, but when I change a character name and open the room again with the software the change has been undone. Also thanks for the fast reply ^-^
  • Discord username: Lucaskart#3909

Zeke_Aileron

DeSgeretjin, i was wondering if there was a way to have a Bazaar Function with the text editor, for instance the ability to make everything loot traded into one time purchases similar to the accessories/rare equipment so the player would have to invest in keeping the loot to craft more of the same gear over and over to properly equip their units, if it's possible?

Quote from: Lucaskart on December 22, 2018, 01:48:02 pm
It's not in game, it's like nearly every change I do stays safe on the rom after I save, like changing the Classes, Weapons names, but when I change a character name and open the room again with the software the change has been undone. Also thanks for the fast reply ^-^

I know it's not in-game, tbh it depends on what names you're trying to change, like the battle formation unit names, or the names in the database cause if you're doing the latter it won't save it cause those names have 0 size limit but do show you a total size limit though..., so either till DeSgeretjin fixes it to enable changing names, or it's supposed to be like that.

DeSgeretjin

@Lucaskart
The reason you can't change names is because i didn't need to use it, i only need the names to be displayed and not changed so i didn't bother coding for it.

Guess i'll add it in now, wait for the update.

@Zeke

Couldn't find where it makes the recipes unique,
I could code a recipe editor though.

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: DeSgeretjin on December 27, 2018, 04:11:29 am
@Lucaskart
The reason you can't change names is because i didn't need to use it, i only need the names to be displayed and not changed so i didn't bother coding for it.

Guess i'll add it in now, wait for the update.

@Zeke

Couldn't find where it makes the recipes unique,
I could code a recipe editor though.

Oh, both would actually be nice, thank you if you do make that.  :)

Baron Samedi

First off, I'd like to thank you for making this tool, this will save massive amounts of time changing text without a hex editor. I do have a few questions as to how some aspects of the editor function however:

1. When editing text, as you said in the OP, the "#xxxx#" lines indicate a line break. Do you know the exact amount of characters that will fit on one line before a line break needs to be added?

2. In the command editor, how exactly does adding abilities work? Obviously you can't add more than the maximum total abilities, but if I were to add say, Blizzaga to the Soldier's Art of War command, how would I be able to actually give the Soldier that ability? By that I mean how would the Soldier learn Blizzaga? Would they learn it by equipping the Chill Rod like a Black Mage would, or is there some other mechanism for them to get the skill?

3. For the formation editor, when I tried to cross reference the Battle IDs in the text editor with the equivalent formation IDs to determine which formation related to which mission, they seem to match perfectly. However, the formation editor only goes up to battle 18F, while the battles themselves go up to 1FF. Is there no way to edit the battles between 18F and 1FF or am I missing something?
Who Do You Voodoo, Bitch?

DeSgeretjin

@Baron Samedi

1. 50 chars i believe, could be wrong.

2. They would have the spell in the list if they learnt it as a black mage, similar to how red mages knows cure from their white mage days. Alternatively you would go use the equipment editor and add it to there.

3.The data sheet for enemy formations I had only went to 18F so ah idk.

TerrageneX

@DeSgeretjin

Do you still accept request for other things that can be edited?

DeSgeretjin

TerrageneX

@DeSgeretjin

Editing Status Names (Buffs and Debuffs) and their descriptions. Like turning Regen to Salvatus (Latin for Healed), Bulwark to Benedictus (Latin for Blessed), and Magick Up to MGK+ (to shorten space and allow further editing.)

DeSgeretjin

If you're talking about the animated text that comes up above the characters when they gain those status,
unfortunately those are hard coded and can't be changed easily.

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: DeSgeretjin on December 29, 2018, 03:30:47 am
If you're talking about the animated text that comes up above the characters when they gain those status,
unfortunately those are hard coded and can't be changed easily.

I think they're talking about the status name and descriptions similar to the abilities name and descriptions, cause I'm able to change them, the text overhead is what can't be changed to what you're referring to.

Chronovore

Hi. I've been using this editor for a while and I've been very happy. I finished going over abilities, equipment, etc. Then I tried to change some of the... less than stellar random name choices. I see that I wasn't the first to discover that this doesn't actually save (only after spending a few hours editing the list, of course). Is there a more recent version of the editor that allows changing of the random name bank?

So I skipped that for now. I started play-testing the above changes and working on enemy formations as I go. The enemy formation editor is great! I've only got one issue so far. Is there a list that corresponds mission name to formation number? For instance, the first few story battles are right up front but I've had to hunt for stuff like Green Dominion.

ThermobaricTank

I've also been waiting for an update to change the random name pool since I didn't find how to do it with a hex editor. There are instructions and offsets for FFTA names, but not for FFTA2 from what I've seen. I even tried to make the program work with unit names myself but since I have no idea of java coding I found this rather complicated. Otherwise this text editor was a lifesaver, specially with the included command list editor.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

nasuma

I'm having trouble with editing AP costs down to single digit Hex values.
Clearly the editor can read values like 100 as "a" but when I type in the text box, it converts it into "A0".
Is there a solution?

Shrikesnest

Quote from: nasuma on January 27, 2024, 05:53:37 pmI'm having trouble with editing AP costs down to single digit Hex values.
Clearly the editor can read values like 100 as "a" but when I type in the text box, it converts it into "A0".
Is there a solution?

That's just a visual bug. As long as you entered the value correctly it should work properly, even though it shows the digits reversed. Just make sure you input a 0 as the first digit, e.g. 0A instead of just A.
  • Modding version: PSX
Put a drop of vanilla behind each ear and you'll smell like a cookie all day!