• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

PSP Scripte = Trash? Dominic Rebuttalé Requested!

Started by Archael, April 10, 2009, 12:24:15 pm

Vanya

April 11, 2009, 03:10:17 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Indeed.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Miroshi Beshima

April 11, 2009, 03:31:30 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Miroshi Beshima
Hmm, I didnt kno so many people hated this script lol. I thought the script was well done and sounded good. I could understand everything they said throughout the game.

Sephirot24

April 11, 2009, 06:43:21 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
I guess it's harsher on people who's first language isn't english.

If you learned Spanish it'd be the same. Spanish from Mexico, Argentina, Cuba, Spain... all are somehow different. If you learned from Argentina and played a game with Spanish from Spain, you'd understand most of it but you'd find lots of words and phrases that'd make you go like "OMGWTF?!"

DarthPaul

April 11, 2009, 07:44:30 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Tea"If you think this script is unreadable, read English literature. It's worse.

I agree with you in the fact that if you don't know how to read English Literature, particularly old old English, it becomes tricky. The thing is though if you made it through high school in the U.S. on the lowest possible academic track (like me) and got all C's (which is more than easy) then you should have no problems with this script.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Asmo X

April 13, 2009, 12:50:06 am #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
No, the script is hardest on people who have a high degree of knowledge and respect for the English language.

Dominic NY18

April 13, 2009, 12:52:04 am #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
That applies to the original then.

Asmo X

April 13, 2009, 12:55:57 am #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
yep. It's still better though

Dominic NY18

April 13, 2009, 01:20:17 am #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
Not really.

Kaijyuu

April 13, 2009, 01:50:55 am #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
The original didn't know how to apply basic English, the new one didn't know how to apply archaic English.

It amounts to the same thing, except one uses obscure words. Whupididoo.
  • Modding version: PSX

Dominic NY18

April 13, 2009, 02:01:04 am #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
OK...

The original's still worse.

Fosh

May 01, 2009, 02:31:48 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Fosh
Ever read the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin?  Whoever wrote this new script is clearly a fan - of the fanboyish persuasion, no less.

Really, I like a good deal of the new translation, but crap like "Argath Thadalfus" and "Barbaneth" and "Gragoroth" just hits on a minor pet peeve of mine - translating "th"s into words that, when spoken, have the result of sounding like terrible lisps.  I realize that they're trying to go for the SUPER MEDIEVAL TIMES feel, but Vagrant Story did that excellently without having places like "the Snowfly Weald" or people named "Ashleigh Rioghtte."  After a certain point, it's just pedantic and eye-rolling. FFXII, another localization with that sort of bent, used the words jungle, plains, and steppe - all common-knowledge words.  Being purposely opaque is not a plus.

Dominic NY18

May 02, 2009, 12:24:15 am #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
FFXII also used terms like sandsea, highwaste and stilshrine, as well as a few others which I've never seen used anywhere outside of the game...

ArkDelgato

May 02, 2009, 06:11:42 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ArkDelgato
The thing I hate about the psp script is the switching of L's and R's.
It's just on the boundary of  "Japanese can't say l lol".

Honestly, Arazlam and Argath are hard to say, not old(e) english. Alazlam and Algus worked fine.
And did Dycedarg really need the extra a?

Fosh

May 02, 2009, 07:54:32 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Fosh
Quote from: "Dominic NY18"FFXII also used terms like sandsea, highwaste and stilshrine, as well as a few others which I've never seen used anywhere outside of the game...

All of which echo words still in use.  "Siedge Weald"?  How many gamers would recognize that "weald" is a word meaning woods or forest (as from the German wald, meaning the same) without having majored in medieval literature?  

YMMV, but I think it's perfectly possible to replicate the tone of a given age without resorting to dead or opaque words like tor and halidom.

Dominic NY18

May 02, 2009, 09:30:09 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
Quote from: "ArkDelgato"And did Dycedarg really need the extra a?

I think you mean Zalbaag...

Quote from: "Fosh"All of which echo words still in use. "Siedge Weald"? How many gamers would recognize that "weald" is a word meaning woods or forest (as from the German wald, meaning the same) without having majored in medieval literature?

YMMV, but I think it's perfectly possible to replicate the tone of a given age without resorting to dead or opaque words like tor and halidom.

So a word like cataract is still used in the manner it's used in XII? And while halidom is considered archaic, tor and weald are not.

I wasn't really disagreeing with your point, but just pointing out that FFXII is guilty of the same thing

SentinalBlade

May 02, 2009, 10:27:51 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
They both are, but there is an english term for merging two nouns into one word.

Sandsea. Merges two words, making one basically an adjective to describe the other. Even if this was not the case, its actually often used to describe desert regions like arabia. although "sea of sand" is more commonly versed term. The sand in 12 moves just like a rough sea. its name is apt and appropriate.

Archiac language is all give and take, and if you havnt learned most english terms or rules or systems, its hell to pinpoint whats acceptable today, and what was commonly said during those time. But there is no excuse for using vague terms like Weald, which isnt even archiac adaption. its just how some people with english accents pronounce the german word "Wald"

Fosh

May 02, 2009, 11:52:25 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Fosh
Quote from: "Dominic NY18"So a word like cataract is still used in the manner it's used in XII?

Actually, yes, I've heard cataract used in the same spirit, though that was admittedly in an oceanography class.  But I'm far more likely to hear it today than I am weald and tor.

But yes, I'm aware FFXII's guilty of much the same thing, in parts.  However, I think I'm more favorable to it because a man by the name of Alexander Smith (of, yup, Vagrant Story fame) was on board for the localization.  He and Joseph Reeder handled the script for the game.  Reeder went on to work on the WotL translation, Smith did not.  I suspect this has something to do with my preferences.

Dominic NY18

May 03, 2009, 12:25:43 am #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
Quote from: "SentinalBlade"Archiac language is all give and take, and if you havnt learned most english terms or rules or systems, its hell to pinpoint whats acceptable today, and what was commonly said during those time. But there is no excuse for using vague terms like Weald, which isnt even archiac adaption. its just how some people with english accents pronounce the german word "Wald"

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Weald is an English word, attested in Old English. The only connection between that and the German word is that they are probably cognates.

Quote from: "Fosh"Actually, yes, I've heard cataract used in the same spirit, though that was admittedly in an oceanography class.  But I'm far more likely to hear it today than I am weald and tor.

Well, how many of us are or were in an oceanography class?

QuoteBut yes, I'm aware FFXII's guilty of much the same thing, in parts.  However, I think I'm more favorable to it because a man by the name of Alexander Smith (of, yup, Vagrant Story fame) was on board for the localization.  He and Joseph Reeder handled the script for the game.  Reeder went on to work on the WotL translation, Smith did not.  I suspect this has something to do with my preferences.

Interesting bit of info.

SentinalBlade

May 03, 2009, 01:06:46 am #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Correction noted, dom, thanks for pointing that out.

While 12 and FFT are guilty of alot of the same things. WOTL is definatly worse, in alot of ways. redundancy is a major part of that. Sauce for the goose ise sauce for the gander, is a really great example(cant remember which scene this one was in)
It does capture a great part of Archaic english; They repeated themselves often, and said meaningless things to "improve" their point. People still do it today. Throw in a seemingly big word, or even mention of another topic, or worse yet, repeating yourself with a slight vocabulary twist. Its done throughout the ages, but more noticeably in Archiac Poetry, or Medieval ballads. And the later usually comes with made up words.

If what they were trying to do was make the people "seem" smart, but failing miserably by todays standards, then they succedd. Theres not much of a point to debate on that without knowing their purpose for it. IF they meant it more appropraitte for the time, they hit the nail on the head, poor sentence structure and oddly placed words. Open any english book and point out several poems that use "learned" grammar AND real words. I doubt Gafily is a real word, even when used in place of the word gay to rhyme with travesty.
------------------

------------
I took marine science and learned about that. But not everyone has that oppurtunity, although most highschools go over underwater activities in science class, or at least skim the subject. It is still a very uncommon word, even when you know it exists.
-------------

---------
That is a really nice bit of info, but the taste of either of doesnt fit. Reeder must have an entirely different vision then smith, as the styles are greatly differing. You can tell smith had more power on the decisions in the original. cause Reeder didnt let any semblance of it into WOTL

P.S. Love the Patapon avatar Dominic

Dominic NY18

May 03, 2009, 01:22:35 am #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
Quote from: "SentinalBlade"While 12 and FFT are guilty of alot of the same things. WOTL is definatly worse, in alot of ways. redundancy is a major part of that. Sauce for the goose ise sauce for the gander, is a really great example(cant remember which scene this one was in)
It does capture a great part of Archaic english; They repeated themselves often, and said meaningless things to "improve" their point.

It's actually not a good example, because that's a real world (archaic) idiom. It's the original version of "What's good for the goose...". Unless you're referring to the way people actually spoke.

The line is spoken by Goltanna in the first scene in Chapter 3.

QuoteP.S. Love the Patapon avatar Dominic

Thanks. I just changed it to another (related) one, but I might change it back.