• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

4 Extra Heroes of Newerth Closed Beta Invites

Started by Archael, November 06, 2009, 07:06:27 pm

Archael

November 07, 2009, 11:29:23 am #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Kaijyuu"Is the game still decided 5 minutes in when one hero is 4 levels above everyone else?
Do people still leave games earlier than that claiming their teammates suck?
Are half the players still retarded and unable to type basic English?
Is the game still based around killing blows and nothing else?

no to all

maybe if you never got past the noob phase it might seem that way, though

when you really start to learn how the game really works and understand that it's based on pure strategy and outsmarting others in 5v5 encounters then you have moved on from the noob mentality of running around feeding the other team (which is where your original complaints might seem valid)

for example: ive seen some hard carry teams being dominated early in 25 - 5 score games, tons of towers lost, and out leveled by 4+ on average, only for them to defend and survive till the end and make a huge comeback with their late game carries

ive seen games go back and forth with both teams crushing eachother in every 5v5 encounter, until they decide to avoid eachother completely and go straight for eachother's base, turning it into a race of who can destroy the enemy base faster

ive seen crazy comebacks and very smart plays from losing teams

but all that shit has to come from the player, and unfortunately those thrills are lost on those who never give themselves a chance to learn the game

ps: if you play in pubs, you're always going to get a leaver here or there, or someone who wants to concede when the game isn't going their way

but this is true of any online game  :ban:

akwikone

November 07, 2009, 11:46:07 am #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by akwikone
If there are any left I'll take one, I'll most definatly be a newb at it, but I'll give any game a shot.

Edit: mailto:allthepeople3845@yahoo.com">allthepeople3845@yahoo.com

Kaijyuu

November 07, 2009, 01:19:32 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
@arch

Yeah all I've ever played are public games on bnet. The people there tend to be dumber than burnt toast.

I have no real dislike of the game other than it clogs those public listings. It's obviously got something going for it if so many people like it, so, I'd be in denial if I called it a "bad" game.

I don't much find it entertaining myself, though.

EDIT: Friend of mine linked me this:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/

How do ya'll think this stacks up to HoN?
  • Modding version: PSX

SolidSnakeDog

November 07, 2009, 02:01:16 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SolidSnakeDog
Holy crap!!!
Dota sure is a huge hit in warcraft...(For like..4 strenght years maybe?)
I never have dreamed about seeing dota THE game.

I never get wy this game is so popular...i mean this is 5 vs 5 and you always try do the same thing : destroring the enemy base...
Some played it for has long dota existed and still playing...(How the crap there do not get bored of it?)
I find mixing items really confusing...and you don't have much time to learn it because by the time you look for what is the right items for more that a couple of minutes, you get ban listed.

...Guess the charm of dota is strategy but most of the time : The team that got stronger Heros/Starting weapons wins almos all the time.

But maybe there did a better balance in this new game...

FFMaster

November 07, 2009, 02:58:23 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
League of Legends is being made by an old DotA maker named Guinsoo. I took a look at it, but can't really play it, since the Beta is US only.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Archael

November 07, 2009, 05:28:01 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Kaijyuu"EDIT: Friend of mine linked me this:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/

How do ya'll think this stacks up to HoN?

I don't think it does

HON nails the DOTA feel too perfectly to be rivaled by a brand new formula (atleast popularity wise)

but it could turn out to be more fun to play for beginners than DOTA / HON (which means less learning curve), cuz DOTA / HON's learning curve is huge

I still consider myself a HON Noob

Nexus

November 09, 2009, 12:33:18 am #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nexus
@Kaijyuu

If you hated DotA you will hate Heroes of Newerth. League of Legends is still very similar to DotA, but it is easier to learn. It has a tutorial, and a lot of the confusing mechanics of DotA have either been removed or streamlined.

FFMaster

November 10, 2009, 04:38:28 am #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
The average intelligence of people in HoN is a lot higher. You still get idiots occasionally, but its a lot rarer. Playing by yourself isn't very fun either, you really need to get people you know to play with you. I have a couple of friends from uni + FFH (Arch and PX for now). If they aren't on, I don't play.

FFMaster

November 10, 2009, 06:24:39 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
League of Legends review by FearDarkness, a DotA veteran who has won many games with top level teams such as MYM. Personally, I don't like EG much, but oh well.

http://myeg.net/blogs/user_blog.php?blog_id=707

tl;dr version - He said it sucks, basically removes everything that made made DotA competitive (denies, active items, among other things).

Archael

November 10, 2009, 07:37:28 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
competitive people usually hate watered-down multiplayer difficulty... reviews like that are probably fairly common, and biased

(Halo vs Halo 2)

FFMaster

November 10, 2009, 08:10:20 pm #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Well, I don't know about FPS games in general, but I can see what you mean.

For competitive people like me, more difficulty and skill means more fun usually. I haven't seriously looked into Leage of Legends, other than a few screensshots.

But FD's complaint about the minimap being moved to the right side is a legit argument in my opinion. Most (if not all) RTS games have the minimap on the left, and its pretty much become second nature to move left to click the minimap for a lot of people. I just don't get why they didn't leave it on the left side...

Kaijyuu

November 10, 2009, 08:14:43 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
TBH the more they move away from wc3's interface the better. It's simply cumbersome for games where you only control a single unit, like Dota.
  • Modding version: PSX

Nexus

November 10, 2009, 09:37:56 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nexus
That review was terrible. His two main points are that he didn't like a joke they made on their website about denying and that the minimap is on the right.

FFMaster

November 11, 2009, 05:11:05 am #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Denying was a pretty important part of DotA. It prevented from melee Agi carries from just sitting there while they level up and denying them gold at the same time (assuming you aren't playing EM) and instead of just sitting there auto-attacking, people actually last hit well enough to stop the enemy from denying you.

As for the minimap, they could just move it to the left corner and shift everything else to the right a bit. They really didn't have to put it there =/

I checked out a few things on LoL and a few things feel iffy to me still. Remember that I can't play since the Beta is US only, unless it has changed recently.

QuoteFeatures that make teaching the game to your friends easier, (game tutorial, bots, suggested items)
Awesome, this is one of the things DotA needs. HoN already has suggested items, but this will seriously help out noobs.

QuoteOnce a match is over, the Summoner gains experience and influence points. Experience points allow the Summoner to gain increased powers, while influence points allow the Summoner to gain access to new champions and power ups for use in future fights.
It sounds like the more you play/win, the more exp you get, and with that, you can buy powerups for your Heroes/Champions. Having an advantage against others before anything happens, its kind of making me cringe. Reading further about Spells/Runes/Masteries, it feels like it punishes people who play very little, and awards people who play 24/7. Or are these bonuses too little to matter?

QuoteLeague of Legends is less random - In DotA, many abilities, runes, physical attacks, and terrain mechanics have a random component to them. We've removed many of the random elements of DotA's gameplay to make you more reliant on skill instead of luck.
Removed runes? So that means I don't need to learn rune warding spots or safe rune watch spots? Other than that, I agree with the removal of luck based abilities. Fucking 5 multicasts in a row. Or that mass Slardar bash bullshit. Bad memories...

QuoteLeague of Legends has Brush - In League of Legends, Brush is a tall grassy terrain that provides a Champion with a form of invisibility, you can see out of it but enemies can't see in! It's great for ganking and juking.
I like this feature. Ambushing will be pretty cool with this around. How strategic is the placement of brush?

QuoteGames are decided by which teams win team fights - not which guy solo farms an agility carry.
Sounds like they have been playing EM too much. Preventing the carry from farming is pretty important, and if they use a dedicated carry, the game will be 4v5 most until late game. You are banking on your team to be able to hold off all 5 until you are strong enough. Also, the old 5 man push teams need to make a comeback =(

QuoteWe've already engaged with many members of the competitive DotA community during our Competitive DotA Roundtable and the $15,000 cash prize DotA tournament at GamesCom in Cologne, Germany and these are just small examples of the type of events we have planned.
Cash prizes are always good =)

Correct me if I'm wrong about any assumptions I've made.

And 1 last thing? Is the game really that much faster (Competitive DotA games on average last about 40 minutes, although I've seen quite a few 70 minute ones, and even a 2 hour one =/)? And does it really push people to be more agressive like they keep saying?

Nexus

November 11, 2009, 09:36:46 am #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nexus
Runes are completely removed. The game is definately less complicated.

Most of the bonuses that you get from leveling up give you more options but not a distinct advantage. The ones that do give a direct boost to stats are very minor. For example, one talent gives +2% critical strike after you have put all three levels into it.

I would say average game length is 30 minutes.

The game encourages aggressive play by being more forgiving if you make a mistake. You're more likely to engage a hero in a lane because the base health regeneration is much higher than in DotA.

The game has been released now. It is free to play and is available in all regions.

woodenbandman

December 10, 2009, 05:16:58 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by woodenbandman
Dammit I can't run it on my computer. FUUUUCK

boomkick

December 14, 2009, 03:12:55 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Email:

If you still have a beta key I want to try this.

Nocat

December 15, 2009, 12:45:38 am #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nocat
PM me for an Invite. I have 6 to give.

Archael

December 15, 2009, 01:16:09 am #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael