• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:59:56 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Hacking WotL?

Started by Miroshi Beshima, April 23, 2009, 04:33:57 pm

Miroshi Beshima

April 23, 2009, 04:33:57 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Miroshi Beshima
I have posted this topic to find out how many hackers here are working on hacking WotL.  Ive heard that this one is harder to hack than the PSX version but who really tries to attempt to hack it? I'm not posting this topic to stop people from hacking psx and move to psp all i want to know is who is working on WotL? A lot of younger members who are joining recently most likely have the psp version of FFT since it is the only version of the game that are being released unless you get the psx version from ebay or a similar site.

Smash

April 23, 2009, 05:20:47 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smash
Having no custom firmware is my main obstacle.

And the lazyness to go find out how to do it. Installing files, pandora battery, brick, system info and more shit..

SentinalBlade

April 23, 2009, 10:16:53 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
The answer is said in alot of other posts... but ill repeat myself since it wil be closer to the top of the page, and wont be TL;DR

Hacking PSX is easy because its nearly perfectly emulated. You can debug the shit outa FFT with an emulator.

PSP has no "working" emulator. and an even less conventional debugger(searching for a value(like gold) and then changing that value in game(spending gold) and then searching for the new amount(the remaining gold) is as advanced as it gets for PSP)

there is a assembly/memory viewer, but you have no freakin clue what block of code you may be looking at. You could be looking at the formation screen code while in mid battle, or even be casting cure and then be looking at the damage routine for physical attacks.

Pretty much, its not impossible, but we dont have the tools... PSP doesnt even have "1!!!" fully working game on an emulator, i dont see it happening soon...

Melonhead can give more insight, he did find the new addresses of abilities and stuff taht fftpatcher can do. But then again he already knew what he was looking for cause its been done on the psx.

TL;DR

Its not possible/practical for now. Wait 2 more years when a stable psp emu comes out.