• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:58 pm

Event Editing/compiler

Started by RandMuadDib, May 16, 2011, 01:03:30 pm

RandMuadDib

I'm trying to test some sprites in game using the first battle at orbonne monastary. I find that the conversation inside the monastary takes too long, though, and need to learn how to edit events anyway. So i tried to take out the conversation by deleting the WaitForInstruction(x01, x00) lines. Inside the monastary whizzed by, but then when the game tried to go outside to start the battle, i just got a dark screen with some weird glitch running across the top of the screen. I assume i did something wrong, but have no idea what. Can anyone help?

Thanks
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Pride

You need to add {end} to each place where dialog was. {end} lets the game know where to read the next set of dialog. That was the only part of the dialog you wanted to remain.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Xifanie

Quote from: Pride on May 16, 2011, 03:08:34 pm
You need to add {end} to each place where dialog was. {end} lets the game know where to read the next set of dialog. That was the only part of the dialog you wanted to remain.
If you're going to take away the text, at least remove both the displaymessage and waitforinstruction(x04 instructions.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

RandMuadDib

i thought waitforinstruction(x04 was waiting for camera movement? Later i did go back and remove the displaymessage and closedialog commands, but thanks for letting me know that i have to keep the {end} commands in there. i'll try it out later. in the meantime i'd just started using the second battle (at gariland) to keep testing.

Xifanie

if you take out all the DisplayMessage/CloseDialog, then you don't even need to have space allocated for text, meaning no need to have {end} as it won't even be read anymore anyway.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

RandMuadDib

After I did that, though, it froze when simon knelt down to help the wounded knight.

Xifanie

I mean, play a bit with the event... we're not going to debug it for you. This should be a simple thing to fix. If you can't, just start over... not like it takes much time.