• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Dycedarg's Elder Brother

Started by theultrawolf, November 21, 2015, 03:30:57 am

theultrawolf

If he was in the game somehow...
What would his name be?
Just D.E.B.?
Or something more thoughtful?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Xifanie

• Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

theultrawolf

You mean Sheev? That's supposedly his first name now I guess.

3lric

theultrawolf

That sounds like a drag name though ._.
Unless you think that's the kinda guy he is xD

Kaijyuu

Let's list the names in the family we do know:

(male)
Balbanes
Ramza
Zalbag
Dycedarg

(female)
Alma

I see no particular pattern. So, choose what you like. The game's names seem vaguely in the style of old European myths, like Beowulf, so maybe some inspiration could be taken from there.

Jumza

Yeah like Hrothgar! He was in Beowulf, so was Shild! And Grendel! These are all terrible name suggestions! :P

I don't have any real suggestions, but I'd just like to mention it would be best to stay away from awful portmanteau's of the other family members names, like Zaldarg, Balzag, Dycebanes, Almza, Ramzagnesdarg, etc!
Those are all hilarious names though.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

theultrawolf

Well I feel like if I just come up with a random name for him that it will seem a bit shoehorned
Although just having his name be DEB is a bit too comical
I won't be making any horrible, unnecessary portmanteaus but at the same time I want him to have a decent name.
Elizar?
Elijah?
they all have the consant-a in their name
ramZA, alMA, dyceDArg, zalBAg, balBAnes, eliZAr

Devreckas

November 22, 2015, 12:12:38 pm #8 Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:45:31 pm by Deverca
Theres also seems to be a two syllable pattern.  Not that youd have to follow it.  Rhaegar feels fitting if it werent already used in such a high profile way in another Game. Rugar?

Angel

I pronounce 'Dycedarg' as three syllables. But hey, someone argued with me once that 'mile' is one syllable. ¯\(º_o)/¯
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Jumza

Really? You don't just do Dice-Darg?
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Angel

No, sounds worse to my ear. Like if you didn't pronounce the 'a' in Xifanie's name; it's too sharp, needs an interjection. Dice-a-darg.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Doctus

Seems like taking older European names, voicing all possible consonants in their Japanese form, and converting back by interpreting weak vowels as "a" wherever possible generates some OK names.

Alfred -> アルフレッド -> アルブレッド -> Albrad
Harold -> ハラルド -> バラルド -> Barald

theultrawolf

Quote from: Toshiko on November 22, 2015, 07:12:50 pm
No, sounds worse to my ear. Like if you didn't pronounce the 'a' in Xifanie's name; it's too sharp, needs an interjection. Dice-a-darg.

I always prounounced it this way as well ._.

Quote from: Doctus on November 22, 2015, 07:16:22 pm
Seems like taking older European names, voicing all possible consonants in their Japanese form, and converting back by interpreting weak vowels as "a" wherever possible generates some OK names.

Alfred -> アルフレッド -> アルブレッド -> Albrad
Harold -> ハラルド -> バラルド -> Barald

I like those two, but the Beoulves all seem to have a different consonant for their first names:
Alma/Dycedarg/Zalbag/Ramza/Balbanes.

Bonesy

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

theultrawolf

Mysfit

When I think about names for characters, I like to consider the meanings of existing names or the translation of a particular word in other languages as that word or meaning relates to a quality embodied or expressed by that character. So, maybe looking up names that traditionally offer meanings that could be construed as being representative of this character's parents or indicative of certain hopes and aspirations his parents might have had for him could provide some basis to build from. Reinterpreting those names using Japanese pronunciation conventions or otherwise just playing it by ear could then add that extra layer of variation to help it blend seamlessly with the other names in the Beoulve family and/or Ivalice at large.

Here are some that I brainstormed using a list of masculine French names and tracing the ones I found interesting to their root language/meaning:
http://www.behindthename.com/names/gender/masculine/usage/french

Absalon: "My father is peace."

I thought this was fitting since Balbanes seems to have a reputation of being extremely honorable, wanting to bring everyone together and do the right thing. A name like that is emblematic of Balbanes' hope for that mission statement to carry on through this immediate heir to house Beoulve. As for giving it the Ivalician treatment, maybe something like Avzalam or Avzolan could work.

Alphonse: "Noble and ready."

Balbanes obviously thinks very highly of his station of nobility as a knight and of the role that house Beoulve serves. He would likely view his children as a direct continuation of that and name them accordingly. Perhaps something like Alfaantz or Ulvans?

Dieudonné: "Given by God."

Nobility's involvement with the Church of Ivalice is very much commonplace, even if it's just on the surface so as to keep up appearances. It would seem likely that either Balbanes or his first wife would be devout enough to dedicate a child to whatever the notion of a god means among the people of Ivalice. Possible variations, Dardonai, Dyrodon

I hope this helps. The process runs the risk of being time consuming the further down the rabbit hole you go, but for me at least, it provides some sort of logic to what I'm doing rather than just desperately trying to blurt out something cool-sounding out of the blue.

theultrawolf

I like the mode of thinking you and Doctus have about the names; I wouldn't be too ready to give him a name like Avzalam if only for its similarities to Alazlam/Arazlam. Alfantz/Ulvans too is similar to Alphons/Alphonse Draclau/Delacroix, additionally. Finally Dardonai/Dyrodon I enjoy, but the name is too similar sounding to Dycedarg. I'm thinking at this point we should just assemble a myriad of names based on the structure you've provided and we put up a poll.

Super Saiyan Eevee

The simple route would just be Balbanes Jr lol or the second or something. I think it would kinda makes sense. Being Dycedarg's older brother, he would be the oldest Beoulve and i believe it was common even back in like Victorian era to name your oldest son after yourself. Im no historian though so dont quote me. Im just thinking of people like King Henry IV or whatever.

However, i do like Mysfits thoughts. Very good name suggestions.

Dang just seeing how old this post is after writing my thoughts already.....
  • Discord username: Super Saiyan Eevee